Test yourself: What frequencies can you hear?
Jun 13, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #46 of 114
IIRC, after you go past half the frequency of the sampling rate, the tone generated starts reversing (aliasing). That is, a 22khz tone should be 22khz, but a 25khz tone would actually be produced as a 19khz tone. This might be different with mp3s though.

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #47 of 114
I can hear nothing at 19, but I can hear it clearly at 18. I'm 15 yrs. old. For some reason, I think that the people claiming to be able to hear at 25 were susceptible to wishful thinking. Placebo effect. Nobody voted for 23 or 24! That means something.

Remember that the higher the frequency it is, the click you hear in the beginning begins to get softer and softer. This is not what you should be listening for. If the song file (frequency) irritates you (after the click in the beginning), that means that you can hear it.

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #48 of 114
I used the Audacity tone generator instead.

18kHz: Audible but soft
19kHz: Feeling something, but nothing really heard.
20kHz: Same feeling as 19kHz, but stronger, yet less 'audible' (Don't know how to describe it, it felt kinda painful tho)
21kHz: Err hello? Are you there
confused.gif

Man, how's everyone hearing so high?
eek.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #54 of 114
Because of the complaints, I created in Audacity under no special settings:

settings.JPG

settingsII.JPG

... the tones below. There's very little crackling (some since the LAME encoder is having trouble with this strange stuff) but Audacity seems to be refusing to go above 20,000Hz...

10KHz
11KHz
12KHz
13KHz
14KHz
15KHz
16KHz
17KHz
18KHz
19KHz
20KHz

Good luck!

~ Brett

Edit:The tones sound different when played in Audacity pre-export and after so I still can't attest to their veracity. The best thing to do is download (free) Audacity yourself and try it out with the easy "Tone Generator".

Jun 13, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #56 of 114
19khz. I think I can hear 20khz, but that feels kinda placebo.

Haven't taken a test like this for ages. Last time I was tested, I could hear up to 23khz.

Gotta keep in mind, however, that the quality of the computer as a source is in play with this tone generator.

Jun 13, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #57 of 114
can hear 19Khz very loudly at below my normal listening volume, can hear 20Khz softly at my normal listening volume, 21KHz I can only just hear and I can only hear my tinnitus at 22khz, no other high frequency noise present in my head
tongue.gif

using a Chaintech AV-710 by the way
frown.gif

not too bad for 18, I did have a couple of years before I got into sound where I destroyed my ears by listening between 80-90dB every day

Jun 13, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #58 of 114
The files linked in the first post is funky. No tone at 16k, then I hear something at 19k.
I downloaded Audacity myself to find that I can hear up to 16500-17000 Hz.
As a male in late 20's, I guess this is normal.

Jun 13, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #59 of 114
I don't understand what you guys mean by placebo, you either hear it or you don't, if your mind is making some kind of sound up, you have some serious problems. I already stated before everyone started posting about this test being bull, that I believed this test was highly inaccurate but I did hear the sound coming out that is supposedly 25khz, whether it is or not who knows, but it's not like people here are making sh@t up to make themselves look good. Just because you don't necessarily hear it doesn't mean it gets classified as placebo and everyone who said they heard it are classified as liars.

Jun 13, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #60 of 114
Yeah, there's something strange going on here... Even with the new tone files posted, I can clearly hear the 20KHz samples, but with NCH Tone Generator I can barely detect anything over 16.5KHz.

Peace,

Graz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back