Test your headphone online
Jan 3, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #31 of 38
Very cool testing site! Thanks for this!

Jan 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #32 of 38
That binaural test is CRAZY 
basshead.gif
 lol

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #34 of 38
I let my girlfriend hear the Binaural test with the volume up last night. I was like, "come check this out, it'll freak you out!". She put the headphones on and I played it and it freaked her right out 
darthsmile.gif
. She tossed my headphones on the desk and I actually had to see if she was ok, LOL.

Jan 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #35 of 38
Thanks for a useful combination of classic tests! Also, kudos for using volume priming baselining in the dynamic range tests and trying to keep your announcements at same level in the FR tests. These help a lot, although of course, the results are not necessarily audiological quality (but who cares!).

I'm surprised that at my normal playback level and in my noisy environment my near-flatish range goes to about 15kHz and I can still hear at 17kHz quite easily (at c. -6 to -10dB or so on guesstimation). This is pretty good for a 40+ year old on my secondary cans (T70). The last time I did audiological testing, I was flat to 14kHz (the highest the system would test in the lab), but that was years ago.

Now if you could make a way for people to separate resonance artifacts (like intermodulation) from the actual frequency test signals in the FR test, you'd get a million thumbs up ! Many people will think they hear 18 to 20kHz, when they are actually hearing housing resonance effects or lower intermodulation frequencies from the driver artifacts.

BTW, if you want, you could also do lossy compression masking test for people who want to test whether their headphones are good enough for critical listening of lossy sources.

Good work, keep it up!

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #36 of 38
Thank you for your kind words, Halcyon!

Quote:
Many people will think they hear 18 to 20kHz, when they are actually hearing housing resonance effects or lower intermodulation frequencies from the driver artifacts.

You are totally right. But more than driver artifacts at these frequencies, aliasing from the DAC seems the main culprit to me. The only subjective test I came with, to this this, is this one: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_aliasing.php

I think it partially answer your request.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #37 of 38
I've found that having Window's sample rate set at anything other than 44.1KHz can cause problems like that. It also causes ringing in the low frequencies , like in the bass shaker and binaural test.

Although for me playing the files with VLC and using 48KHz as Window's sample rate seems to work fine, VLC must be better at re-sampling or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back