Test your headphone online
Sep 2, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #16 of 38
Just to worry you guys, I've had some headphones play 20kHz a lot lower than you'd expect. I've as yet to find a pair that play 20Hz. Even my giant sub shook its head at that, making me think I need a different DAC, because REL normally work as advertised.

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:
I swear I could hear 20khz but then nothing until 18...

Also, for the voiceover, is it saying the freqeuncy right after it has reached it? Because I could hear it before he said 20Hz and I didn't think that was possible.

The voiceover telle the frequency right after, not before, indeed. If you hear frequencies that are beyond your actual hearing range, this might be aliasing coming out from your sound card. You can learn more about aliasing and have an online check here:

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_aliasing.php

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #21 of 38
i love that binaural sample, i thought someone was actually knocking on my door and it gave me a surprise xD

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #23 of 38
Thanks so much for these. I am specially enjoying the binaural test.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:
22khz didnt seem right, I shouldn't be able to hear that high so easily. The Binaural was wicked cool thought someone hit my wall.

Yeah, that binaural one is almost creepy. The first time I did that, when I heard the knock on my right side, I hit pause and turned to the door of the room I was in and said, "What"? I thought my wife was wanting something. No matter how many times I listened to it, I would have almost bet there was someone knocking on the door to my right or the wall to my left. Very strange.

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:
With headphones, you'll be damaging your hearing before your headphones, feel reassured :wink:

The trick is to always start at moderate level. This is especially true when the test tone is near infra-sonic or sub-sonic, such as found in the headphone test page. Most of the sound tests do provide a voice-over though, which serves as a reference. As long as the voice level is fine (even loud), you will be safe. If you do not change levels from one test to the other, you'll be fine too.

I am not worried about damaging my ears at because of a loud volume. I was asking if listening to a certain frequency, like a very high pitched sound, can somehow damage your ears?

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:
I am not worried about damaging my ears at because of a loud volume. I was asking if listening to a certain frequency, like a very high pitched sound, can somehow damage your ears?

OK, I got you now :wink: It will, only if combined with a loud level. The exact danger is the following: if the high pitched tone is at the verge of your hearing, you will be tempted to increase the level in order to hear the tone. If the tone is in your inaudible zone, you will increase the level into the danger zone, indeed... (and won't hear anything still). That's why it is dangerous: because you don't hear anything, but the sound level pressure is present. That's also the reason why I layered a voiceover on the top of the high pitched tones. You won't be able to increase the level into the danger territory, because of the audible voiceover will become way to loud. As with the other files, without the voiceover, they are limited to 10kHz.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

OK, I got you now :wink: It will, only if combined with a loud level. The exact danger is the following: if the high pitched tone is at the verge of your hearing, you will be tempted to increase the level in order to hear the tone. If the tone is in your inaudible zone, you will increase the level into the danger zone, indeed... (and won't hear anything still). That's why it is dangerous: because you don't hear anything, but the sound level pressure is present. That's also the reason why I layered a voiceover on the top of the high pitched tones. You won't be able to increase the level into the danger territory, because of the audible voiceover will become way to loud. As with the other files, without the voiceover, they are limited to 10kHz.

Good thinking. 

Plus I feel like if I pumped up the volume before the audible frequency came in my head would explode once it did. Those high frequencies are very unpleasant.

Sep 3, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #30 of 38

Users who are viewing this thread

Back