Terrible Apple Ipod service!!!
Feb 18, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
. It's not that difficult a problem to solve, and if someone is incapable or unwilling to find the answer themselves, paying $60 to have Apple hold your hand through it sounds pretty fair ...

Hey, You're mean...
biggrin.gif
(no offence)

I think that any freezing shouldn't been happened at first place. I have iPod mini, and it has already frozen several times in about few weeks - this seems like a software bug to me. And still Apple is trying to strip somebody because of that.
confused.gif
Thats not the way it should be.
mad.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #32 of 49
I can tell you what the Apple Service people will tell you... Wipe your iPod to factory fresh state again using the updater utility and reload your music library. 9 times out of 10, that fixes any freezing problems.

See ya
Steve

Feb 18, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
Agreed.

The same thing happened to my iPod and I was able to find the solution online in about three minutes. It's not that difficult a problem to solve, and if someone is incapable or unwilling to find the answer themselves, paying $60 to have Apple hold your hand through it sounds pretty fair ...

Agreed.... Google works wonders. You can even run background checks on people by using Google.... Hitch
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #34 of 49
Feb 18, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
I will have second thoughts about buying a new Mp3 player from the same company. I can see many new Sony players with great design so maybe i would go for that. I guess i am past the days that i was trying to get the cheapest price but now i am looking for great service as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

yeah, and I'm sure Sony will give you great customer service... sheah, right! Good luck with that... Seriously, I've heard horror stories about Rio's support, lack of support from IRiver on their products, Sony has been known to have terrible customer service (then again, they sell boatloads of their products, so the more products, the more ones that can possibly malfunction). It's not like Apple is so different from any other electronics company that sells mp3 players, or cd players or what have you.

You're singling them out as though they're the antichrist. Had she gotten a different Apple rep, they may have helped her through without charging her the $60. To take one instance and apply it to Apple overall is just ignorant.

At least she has the extra coverage on the product now. Did she try the suggestions in the troubleshooting section of the manual? If so, that would have solved this particular problem. If not, then it's unfortunate that she had to pay $60 to get advice that is already contained in the manual (a case of RTFM, I suppose), but if something more peculiar comes up that's not covered, at least she has the warranty now.

Feb 18, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
It looks like that unfortunately. We bought our Ipods in Nov04 from Circuit city and inside the box it mentions that it has a warranty of 1 year. When she gave them a call they told her that she went out of warranty (probably they meant phone support) 2 days ago!I dont see why they made her buy additional warranty while she still has her first one. Or was it the tip that she was paying?

Sorry if the last post came off harsh, it wasn't meant to. According to what you just stated, she should be under warranty for that problem, in which case she should ask for her $$$ back, since the only reason she paid the additional $60 in the first place was because she thought it was out of warranty and paying the $ was the only way to get it fixed (which is clearly not the case, since she has plenty of original warranty left).

Feb 18, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Sorry if the last post came off harsh, it wasn't meant to. According to what you just stated, she should be under warranty for that problem, in which case she should ask for her $$$ back, since the only reason she paid the additional $60 in the first place was because she thought it was out of warranty and paying the $ was the only way to get it fixed (which is clearly not the case, since she has plenty of original warranty left).

No problem. I think she is going to ask for the money back. Who knows maybe she will manage to get it back. One of my other hobbies is photography and i always got great service over here. I guess i expected Ipods to get better service especially in the states.
plainface.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Seriously, I've heard horror stories about Rio's support, lack of support from IRiver on their products, Sony has been known to have terrible customer service (then again, they sell boatloads of their products, so the more products, the more ones that can possibly malfunction). It's not like Apple is so different from any other electronics company that sells mp3 players, or cd players or what have you.

I'm going to call you out on the lack of iRiver Support on their products. You seem to be going totally on hearsay, so I'm going to correct any kind of misinformation/possible misinterpretation (I like iRiver).

iRiver has *great* customer service. What you are referring to (don't know whether you know or not) is the fact that iRiver is weak on upgrading their firmware. This is not to say iRiver's firmware is bad/unstable, but rather they do not update their firmware with any sort of regularity. A lot of iRiver users at misticriver.net are half disappointed at iRiver because they wanted firmware that gave them gapless playback, ability to play FLAC, music while viewing photos, etc.

Now those are mostly luxuries/extra features, but usually not something that would make/break a player to the average consumer.

I guess in conclusion, iRiver does in fact have great support for their products - CS is great, people get their iRivers replaced all the time, etc. However, I would call iRiver's lack of firmware updates a weak point.

Feb 19, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seijang
I'm going to call you out on the lack of iRiver Support on their products. You seem to be going totally on hearsay, so I'm going to correct any kind of misinformation/possible misinterpretation (I like iRiver).

iRiver has *great* customer service. What you are referring to (don't know whether you know or not) is the fact that iRiver is weak on upgrading their firmware. This is not to say iRiver's firmware is bad/unstable, but rather they do not update their firmware with any sort of regularity. A lot of iRiver users at misticriver.net are half disappointed at iRiver because they wanted firmware that gave them gapless playback, ability to play FLAC, music while viewing photos, etc.

Now those are mostly luxuries/extra features, but usually not something that would make/break a player to the average consumer.

Actually, IIRC, the issue was that iRiver *promised* gapless by a certain date, kept delaying it, and I think at this point it is delayed indefinetely. They wouldn't have been in such a bad position if it were just rumors and/or they never set an intial release date, but by doing either/both they dug themselves into a hole and shot their reliability as far as firmware goes.

Feb 19, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #41 of 49
Is your girlfriends name Ashley? Because some chick wired me $60 bucks not to long ago and all I told her was to push the center and top keys for 30 seconds. I think she called the wrong number.

Feb 19, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdog311
Is your girlfriends name Ashley? Because some chick wired me $60 bucks not to long ago and all I told her was to push the center and top keys for 30 seconds. I think she called the wrong number.

I dont know what name she claimed
icon10.gif
Can you give me your address so that i can pay a visit if i find out she used that name?
icon10.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #43 of 49
Its customer support. Their life-line or cashflow is 'warranty', and the guy who sold the extended 2 year warranty on an item did a 'good job'. Remember the basic law that you have quality, speed, and price, and you can pick only 2 of the three. If you aren't put on hold for hours, that is speed, and if they at least know what they are talking about thats quality I suppose.

Nonetheless if you really want to complain (since an ipod in 2 years is going to be near disposable anyways), you just have to make the case that the customer support was 'bad' and somehow got your wife to consent to something she didn't want to do, yadda yadda. I am sure the guy who sold the warranty got 'credit' for doing it. Of course it'd be great to know if you can refund warranty...good luck! Calling up customer support to try and refund your customer support bill, now thats a true acid test.
icon10.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg
Actually, IIRC, the issue was that iRiver *promised* gapless by a certain date, kept delaying it, and I think at this point it is delayed indefinetely. They wouldn't have been in such a bad position if it were just rumors and/or they never set an intial release date, but by doing either/both they dug themselves into a hole and shot their reliability as far as firmware goes.

That was for the iRiver iHP-120, if I recall correctly. They have made no such promises with their newer line of players :p.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #45 of 49
most companies have this kind of policy regarding their products. at least, symantec and apple do. IMHO, although apple is kinda mean in this situation, it was her own fault. she did not read the manual carefully and did not search the internet and ask friends before calling the apple service. Apple's support page is absolutely *FREE*. Its as if most every single piece of information on the internet is free as long as you know how to find them, but asking a counsellor costs money. I would say 60 dollars are well worth it. a person who does not know how to use her device well and carelessly dropped her device, needs such a extended warranty. who knows what could happen next?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back