Terrible Apple Ipod service!!!
Feb 17, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #16 of 49
I've had a very similar experience with Apple. My dad was having problems with our iBook, so he took it to the Apple store only to be told that he would be charged $50 just to ask a question since the free warranty had expired. I understand that there has to be SOME policy, but 50 bucks just to hear a question is ridiculous.

With that said, I got AppleCare when it came time to buy my PowerBook. Apple's customer service is second to none if you get the extended warranty-- I did end up having problems with my PB and they sent it off for repairs and had it back at my door in 4 days. Also, they're very lenient with cosmetic damage from what I've heard. One of my friends dropped his PB, resulting in a lot of damage around the hinge, and he sent it off and they replaced the case for him no questions asked.

It's definitely worth it to pay the premium up front for the extended warranty. I've had too many problems with my hardware.

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #18 of 49
.....and would you buy another Apple product now or boycott the company? Love their customer loyality...give us yer money..lol.

Charging £30 for a single answer is great. I wish I could get paid that well!
tongue.gif

At most technical support should just be premium support phone cost, and that's it. Not a whopping charge ontop!!
rolleyes.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
Why didnt you take a look at it for her? Or ask us about it?

We live 5000 miles away at the moment
icon10.gif
She is in PA and i am in Athens Greece. If i knew i would work it out for her.

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by PodMan
Is the Apple warranty in Greece less than a year? Because I would think all 4G ipods are covered as they have been only introduced for around 6-7 months.

She lives in PA and her 6 month warranty has expired. I have no idea how long the warranty is here cause i got mine from the states as well. To be honest I wouldnt trust service here too. I walked in an Apple store here and the sales people had no idea about the characteristics of Apple products.
blink.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necros
.....and would you buy another Apple product now or boycott the company? Love their customer loyality...give us yer money..lol.

Charging £30 for a single answer is great. I wish I could get paid that well!
tongue.gif

At most technical support should just be premium support phone cost, and that's it. Not a whopping charge ontop!!
rolleyes.gif

I will have second thoughts about buying a new Mp3 player from the same company. I can see many new Sony players with great design so maybe i would go for that. I guess i am past the days that i was trying to get the cheapest price but now i am looking for great service as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #22 of 49
iriver America replace broken DAP's even if it's out of warranty and obviously when it's user fault! (ie dropped on ground, used higher voltage ac adaptor) and return with a spare accersory pack (you send the DAP only in the box, then they send a BRAND NEW DAP + charger + remote + headphones!) :-D

Pretty incredible customer service really...WAY more they (legally) are obliged to do!
icon10.gif

I own a iriver H140.

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #24 of 49
New Apple products get a 1 year warranty. She should still have 6 months left on her warranty. I would speak to a manager and try to get a credit.

Feb 17, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #25 of 49
I've never thought about if customer service is different in different countries. Maybe they try to remain true to the culture... I wonder if you call customer service in France if they're rude to you?

See ya
Steve

Feb 17, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
I've never thought about if customer service is different in different countries. Maybe they try to remain true to the culture... I wonder if you call customer service in France if they're rude to you?

See ya
Steve

And maybe if you call American call centre they're all called Cletus.
And maybe if you call British call centre they're all called Giles and drink tea.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #27 of 49
You could call the Canadian one, and they could go on and on telling you how much smarter they are than the American call center without ever solving your problem.

And you could call the Hawaiian call center, and they'd tell you to sit in the sun and not worry about it so much.

The Russian call center could insist that you don't have a problem, and threaten to send the KGB by if you speak a word about it again.

See ya
Steve

Feb 18, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #28 of 49
Apple provides a one year warranty on iPods and one time free phone support for the first 3 months. It sounds like she was out of eligibility for the free phone support but her unit would still be under the one year warranty since the oldest 4G's are about 6 months old now. Now it seems to me that sometimes you just fall on the side of bad luck, but i don't think it's really fair to call Apple's service terrible. The reset is well documented in the manual and on their support site for free. You gotta draw the line somewhere cuz if you give one person support after the documented date then how many other people do you help outside of their phone support. It's not as if your wife came away with nothing either cuz now she has two years of free phone support and an extended warranty. She can now call up at 4 in the morning just like the Dell commercials just to see if they are there.
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #29 of 49
It would have been cheaper to send it in to apple for service.

Feb 18, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFil
Apple provides a one year warranty on iPods and one time free phone support for the first 3 months. It sounds like she was out of eligibility for the free phone support but her unit would still be under the one year warranty since the oldest 4G's are about 6 months old now. Now it seems to me that sometimes you just fall on the side of bad luck, but i don't think it's really fair to call Apple's service terrible. The reset is well documented in the manual and on their support site for free. You gotta draw the line somewhere cuz if you give one person support after the documented date then how many other people do you help outside of their phone support. It's not as if your wife came away with nothing either cuz now she has two years of free phone support and an extended warranty. She can now call up at 4 in the morning just like the Dell commercials just to see if they are there.
biggrin.gif

It looks like that unfortunately. We bought our Ipods in Nov04 from Circuit city and inside the box it mentions that it has a warranty of 1 year. When she gave them a call they told her that she went out of warranty (probably they meant phone support) 2 days ago!I dont see why they made her buy additional warranty while she still has her first one. Or was it the tip that she was paying?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back