TempoTec Variations V6 DSD512 Android HIFI Music Player
Jan 31, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #181 of 241
I asking myself why is

I feel too, after two days of burn I love the sound. At the beginning it was too sharp and not really enjoyable.
And it's also good to delete the cache and all unnecessary apps as much as possible to defend the processing power :)
sound keeps getting better and better. Today I tried first time the middle gain connected with my AMP and that pushed the V6 just again. I fell you have to push the V6 slightly to the limit to get the final sound after a while

Jan 31, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #182 of 241
I've noticed that a lot - people saying it can be slow/sluggish/laggy
Does that only involve some more complex stuff/use involving multiple apps, streaming and the like, or even just scrolling through the folders and simply playing music?
sound keeps getting better and better. Today I tried first time the middle gain connected with my AMP and that pushed the V6 just again. I fell you have to push the V6 slightly to the limit to get the final sound after a while
@Aletheia memory getting tapped
@Philipp Cie I'm running at LO gain only and it plays with lots of gusto and authority. Love how this thing sounds regardless of it's drawbacks. I still have to update to the latest firmware and not sure if it fixes (even just a bit) the occasional lag/slow responsiveness.

030B7AC9-8E39-4BF3-81A1-9070096A043F.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #183 of 241
@Aletheia memory getting tapped
@Philipp Cie I'm running at LO gain only and it plays with lots of gusto and authority. Love how this thing sounds regardless of it's drawbacks. I still have to update to the latest firmware and not sure if it fixes (even just a bit) the occasional lag/slow responsiveness.

030B7AC9-8E39-4BF3-81A1-9070096A043F.jpeg
Wow mate, cracking photo.

Feb 3, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #184 of 241
Thanks for the replies!

I have 650gb of music on my micro sd card. The stock hiby music player is a bit laggy and difficult to scan through to find what I want to listen too. If anyone else in a similar situation has used a replacement music app I would love to hear your experience
Jet Audio is great. Buy the app so you don't have to look at ads. But the free one is good too, it has a different spacial feeling. Neutron is good too. All three Apps have their Pros, but I think the Jet Audio one sounds the best.

Feb 7, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #185 of 241
I noticed a couple of issues

1. when I play music through the original Tidal app and tracks are master quality if you quick start/stop and you can hear crackling, and in general when I switch from one master song to the next master song, the next master song plays for the first seconds with crackling (it doesn't matter if the output is balanced or unbalanced) and the next track on the slider starts from about the 8th second even though the song is playing from the first second

can you verify on your devices ?

2. the first start of the connection with wifi after turning on the device is tragically slow (time to connect not the connection speed) despite the fact that the V6 is next to the router

3. the last percentages on the battery i.e. 98 to 100 charges massively slow

BTW : It might be good idea to install this launcher as it takes only 250 KB from memory

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atomicadd.tinylauncher&gl=US

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #186 of 241
I've got the Shanling M3X and the Tempotec V6. There is not much between them sound-wise. The 4.4mm of the Shanling is better sounding, the 3.5mm of the V6 is better. The V6 is bit bulky and heavy, but solid. The warranty of the V6 worthless. I bought the V6 from TempoTec and have a dodgy 3.5mm, TempoTec ignore my emails. The M3X I got from a retailer. If you decide on the V6 get it from a retailer.....not TempoTec. Unit wise the M3X is nicer, better size and I tend to go for the M3X. If you use 4.4mm the M3X is better.

I also have M3X and V6 and can clearly hear the difference. V6 is better not only in terms of sound but overall UI, I especially like this full screen audio volume control.

Feb 7, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #187 of 241
I also have M3X and V6 and can clearly hear the difference. V6 is better not only in terms of sound but overall UI, I especially like this full screen audio volume control.
The 3.5mm of the V6 is special. The 4.4mm not so good at all, anyway not on my V6.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #188 of 241
On mine I'd say the 4.4mm is slightly better than 3.5mm, but really not much in it.
Tried with Tea 2 with and without a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter.

Feb 8, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #189 of 241
I noticed a couple of issues

1. when I play music through the original Tidal app and tracks are master quality if you quick start/stop and you can hear crackling, and in general when I switch from one master song to the next master song, the next master song plays for the first seconds with crackling (it doesn't matter if the output is balanced or unbalanced) and the next track on the slider starts from about the 8th second even though the song is playing from the first second

can you verify on your devices ?

2. the first start of the connection with wifi after turning on the device is tragically slow (time to connect not the connection speed) despite the fact that the V6 is next to the router

3. the last percentages on the battery i.e. 98 to 100 charges massively slow

BTW : It might be good idea to install this launcher as it takes only 250 KB from memory

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atomicadd.tinylauncher&gl=US
The V6's wifi doesn't have the best and or stable connection. Reception fluctuates on mine and on some occasions chokes out and song playing hiccups. Haven't tried using it without the case, I'm not even sure if that would matter.

As far as the battery charging, I do believe it goes to trickle charge mode which in my knowledge would be a good thing for battery health, it prevents overcharging the cell and cools down temps This I can live with.

Between the 3.5 and 4.4, I use both at LO gain and 4.4 to me is better. My iems are more linear on the sub bass region and I get a little more rumble and energy.

Feb 8, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #190 of 241
I am selling my TempoTec Variations V6, if anyone is interested - PM me.

Feb 8, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #191 of 241
It's going to be interesting with Sony Bringing out their brand new, Android 12 competition to the $349 dollar DAP market..... the Sony Walkman NW-A306.
I've still had no word from TempoTec about the problem my V6 has, very delayed resetting from balanced to 3.5mm, meaning at most times I cannot use the 3.5mm, it doesn't set to 3.5mm and stays on BAL. The TempoTec warranty is meaningless, so once again, if you buy direct from TempoTec you have no cover if you get a problem. Buy from a dealer who will then be responsible for the warranty.
I use my TempoTec V6 in BAL, because I can't get it to set to 3.5 PO. Because of that I have A/Beed the V6, 4.4mm,with the Shanling M3X 4.4mm, the Cayin RU6 4.4mm, and the Hidizs S9 Pro (2.5mm).....a lot, many times, and find the 4.4mm on the V6, on my unit, good, but noticeably not as good as the others. I bought it as a backer on Kickstarter to support TempoTec, so I've not lost much on this faulty V6, but is it ethical to sell with a warranty that in real terms is just a worthless piece of paper?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #192 of 241
Tempotec messaged in Ali to say that the V6 will be on offer at $279 on 20 March for one day as an anniversary sale. Price will then be $289 21-28 March.

Mar 20, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #193 of 241
It's going to be interesting with Sony Bringing out their brand new, Android 12 competition to the $349 dollar DAP market..... the Sony Walkman NW-A306.
I've still had no word from TempoTec about the problem my V6 has, very delayed resetting from balanced to 3.5mm, meaning at most times I cannot use the 3.5mm, it doesn't set to 3.5mm and stays on BAL. The TempoTec warranty is meaningless, so once again, if you buy direct from TempoTec you have no cover if you get a problem. Buy from a dealer who will then be responsible for the warranty.
I use my TempoTec V6 in BAL, because I can't get it to set to 3.5 PO. Because of that I have A/Beed the V6, 4.4mm,with the Shanling M3X 4.4mm, the Cayin RU6 4.4mm, and the Hidizs S9 Pro (2.5mm).....a lot, many times, and find the 4.4mm on the V6, on my unit, good, but noticeably not as good as the others. I bought it as a backer on Kickstarter to support TempoTec, so I've not lost much on this faulty V6, but is it ethical to sell with a warranty that in real terms is just a worthless piece of paper?
Shocking and disgraceful practices.

I'd consider starting charge back process with your payment provider, PayPal or cc/bank.

May 5, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #195 of 241
Happy to report that Firmware V1.10 released just yesterday and while it doesn't completely fix the timing errors/skips in USB DAC Mode on my setup (Win 11 64-bit), it makes them a lot more tolerable, reducing the frequency up to one occurrence every 2~3 min vs 20~30 sec before the update, also the error/skip itself its way shorter than it was, and it doesn't mess up "the beat"? bpm? (its hard to explain, lmao)

USB DAC performance has been really my only gripe so if it can get better with future updates, it will make this already awesome DAP into a near perfect one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back