TempoTec Variations V6 DSD512 Android HIFI Music Player
Jan 27, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #166 of 240
Yea, read through this entire thread (and some other complaints about technical issues elsewhere on the net). Especially your story made me nope the hell out from the notion of importing it directly from TempoTec
So I take it there has been no answer from them still, after all that time? Wow, that's just...sad?

I've heard the 3.5mm of M3X is nothing special (relative to the competition), but the 4.4mm is amazing. How would you compare the Shanling's 4.4mm to the V6's 3.5mm?
Also, if I may ask, when you say "better"...what stands out in one that the other lacks? Couldn't find much in terms of direct comparisons that would go more into detail. And what I did find said the V6 sound is just a little bit richer and more powerful, but the difference is minute. You seem to hear it differently, so...I find myself curious
Ideally, I'd love to be able to compare them myself as nobody can really tell me which would better suit my personal preference. Not to mention the choice/availability of headphones and IEMs will play a role. Mine are DT 770 PRO (250 Ohm) and the Moondrop Aria, respectively
Sadly, I couldn't find any local retailer which has both so I can't compare them side by side without having to pay for both first
Of course we all hear differently, but to me the 4.4mm of the Shanling is cleaner, crisper, clearer. I think in practice they both have enough juice to run any IEM and really sound very similar. For 250 Ohm Headphones I cannot tell you much, most of my IEMs are much easier to drive. I tend to always prefer to use 4.4mm, so I can compare the 4.4mm's better. I would say the problem with the V6 is that is very bulky. Sound-wise they are very similar both built like 'brick outhouses'. Similar battery life. If you use mainly 3.5mm then maybe the V6 would be more suitable. I do find in general balanced outputs sound better to the 3,5mm. That is not written in stone but purely my own experience.

Jan 27, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #167 of 240
Of course we all hear differently, but to me the 4.4mm of the Shanling is cleaner, crisper, clearer. I think in practice they both have enough juice to run any IEM and really sound very similar. For 250 Ohm Headphones I cannot tell you much, most of my IEMs are much easier to drive. I tend to always prefer to use 4.4mm, so I can compare the 4.4mm's better. I would say the problem with the V6 is that is very bulky. Sound-wise they are very similar both built like 'brick outhouses'. Similar battery life. If you use mainly 3.5mm then maybe the V6 would be more suitable. I do find in general balanced outputs sound better to the 3,5mm. That is not written in stone but purely my own experience.
Now, that's interesting. And yes, 4.4mm has the technical advantage and should, at least in theory, generally sound better. Preferred the sound each time I had an opportunity to "taste", too. And I am planning to go for that whenever possible. Already ordered a 4.4mm cable for the Aria. Also got everything ready to DIY recable the DT 770 for balanced the moment I got something to stick that in.
Yea, the 250 Ohms are a tad tough for DAPs in general. Planning to get a better amp for those eventually. The one I'm using now is a generic Aiyima I grabbed off of aliexpress for 25 eur a while back. Originally intended it just as a little push for my PC, not as a music thing. But it turned out to be surprisingly decent, especially for the price. So I'm not under any serious pressure to upgrade ASAP. Budget limitations and all that. And both the M3X and V6 have significantly more juice in the balanced mode than my FiiO X1, so that alone will likely be an improvement over the amp (which lacks a balanced output) for the time being
Sounds like they also double as weapons in case of self-defense needs

@PhilW That sounds like some potentially good news. Did they require pushing, or is there actual initiative on their side?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #169 of 240
Now, that's interesting. And yes, 4.4mm has the technical advantage and should, at least in theory, generally sound better. Preferred the sound each time I had an opportunity to "taste", too. And I am planning to go for that whenever possible. Already ordered a 4.4mm cable for the Aria. Also got everything ready to DIY recable the DT 770 for balanced the moment I got something to stick that in.
Yea, the 250 Ohms are a tad tough for DAPs in general. Planning to get a better amp for those eventually. The one I'm using now is a generic Aiyima I grabbed off of aliexpress for 25 eur a while back. Originally intended it just as a little push for my PC, not as a music thing. But it turned out to be surprisingly decent, especially for the price. So I'm not under any serious pressure to upgrade ASAP. Budget limitations and all that. And both the M3X and V6 have significantly more juice in the balanced mode than my FiiO X1, so that alone will likely be an improvement over the amp (which lacks a balanced output) for the time being
Sounds like they also double as weapons in case of self-defense needs

@PhilW That sounds like some potentially good news. Did they require pushing, or is there actual initiative on their side?
They really are similar sounding to me. I got the TempoTec to support their Kickstarter project and I'd heard good things about their equipment. Sound-wise you would be happy with both for sure. The V6 is definitely an offensive weapon and you may need a license for it.

Jan 28, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #171 of 240
I asking myself why is
A couple of weeks in, and my opinion on the V6 has changed a bit.
It seems to have smoothed a bit with burn in and I'm enjoying it more.
I've experienced burn in on iems/headphones, but never really experienced burn in on a dap before.
It could be argued that it is brain burn in, but I'm not sure I would buy that, as I'm still using other devices as well, such as the lush R2R RS2.20230106_112115.jpg
I feel too, after two days of burn I love the sound. At the beginning it was too sharp and not really enjoyable.
And it's also good to delete the cache and all unnecessary apps as much as possible to defend the processing power :)

Jan 28, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #172 of 240
When I received it it sounded flat, also wasn't stable with both blue tooth and wifi connections. I downloaded the latest international firmware on to a micro ssd, flashed it and performed a reset. Most problems were over. I do use an usbc cable with samsung wallplug to charge it. Regular cable usbc to usb into pc didnt work wel.

Sound got better in about 60 hours. I use focal bathys on bluetooth (aptx hd) sony xm4 (ldac), some old fiio fh* on 3,5 sennheiser hd 660s on ballanced output 4.4 to listen mostly to 256 dsd, jazz, blues, classic, pop, folk etc.

Mostly on high gain. Volume around 60, about 12 hours runtime switching devices during te day, with both wifi and bluetooth on.

Parametric eq on al my devices. ( https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results)

On the go apps; Qobuz, usb audioplayer pro, bubble upnp.

(I did use a few devellopers options, eg to use screen srgb, and to store data on my external sd, and change usb default settings in system settings according to what I need)

No complaints at the moment :)

Jan 29, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #177 of 240
All this talk of the 4.4mm being superior and my iem and naim muso qb 2 only having 3.5 options. Would it be worth getting a 4.4 to 3.5 converter or even a balanced cable 4.4 one end and 3.5 the other?
There may be 3.5mm outputs on many personal HiFi gear better than many 4.4mm outputs. On my DAPs and dongles, including the 4.4mm Cayin RU6 Dongle, the Hidizs S9 Pro 2.5mm, the balanced outputs generally sound a little better. I'm sure there are higher end devices that have 3.5mm outputs that are better sounding. The TempoTec V6, 3.5mm out, being a case in point, it sounds great (when it's working). If you have a good sounding setup, best stick with it. If you get great pleasure and enjoyment from your music 3.5mm or 4.4mm won't matter. Enjoy what you have until you really want to upgrade. The most important thing is your enjoyment.

Jan 29, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #178 of 240
All this talk of the 4.4mm being superior and my iem and naim muso qb 2 only having 3.5 options. Would it be worth getting a 4.4 to 3.5 converter or even a balanced cable 4.4 one end and 3.5 the other?

You cannot reliably do this. I strongly suggest not trying. Changing a balanced output into a single ended output "could" damage the V6. Ideally you want a cable that's terminated to 4.4mm

Jan 30, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #179 of 240
Thanks for the replies!

I have 650gb of music on my micro sd card. The stock hiby music player is a bit laggy and difficult to scan through to find what I want to listen too. If anyone else in a similar situation has used a replacement music app I would love to hear your experience

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #180 of 240
Even if you managed to do that in a way where everything works, you wouldn't get a balanced connection for the 3.5 IEM/headphones that way
But if your IEM got a detachable cable, you should be able to connect a balanced cable with a 4.4 connecter to them instead. A tad trickier to do with most headphones that don't come with a balanced cabling tho...that requires some soldering. And scrapping any warranty rights you may have had
They really are similar sounding to me. I got the TempoTec to support their Kickstarter project and I'd heard good things about their equipment. Sound-wise you would be happy with both for sure. The V6 is definitely an offensive weapon and you may need a license for it.
Oh, I have no doubt of that. Pretty sure that I could just toss a coin and be perfectly satisfied however that turns out...ummm...might actually not be a horrible idea now that I think about it...
shanti or some such ^^
The V6 is a battery guzzler in balanced mode and occasionally can get sluggish. Other than that it’s a really good sounding DAP with a lot of power on tap.
I've noticed that a lot - people saying it can be slow/sluggish/laggy
Does that only involve some more complex stuff/use involving multiple apps, streaming and the like, or even just scrolling through the folders and simply playing music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back