Tell us your gear, hearing acuity, IQ, wealth and personal accomplishments!
Oct 26, 2005 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Steve999

smooth, DARK
Here's your chance to be head-fi's most successful person with the best ears, best mind and best headphone gear!!! But please guys, try to keep it believable.
wink.gif

So tell us your gear, hearing acuity, IQ, wealth and personal accomplishments!
orphsmile.gif

As always at head-fi, if you post something and somebody tops you please feel free to revise your claims accordingly, either through a new post or by editing your old post.
cool.gif

I'll get things started:

FWIW, I can hear to 25 khz (and can make out the impact of overtones up to 47 khz on lower parts of the frequency spectrum), have an IQ of 198, have a Senn Orpheus and Stax Lamda (sp?) system, as well as a Sony Qualia (#1) headphone, Grado HF-1 (#1) headphone, and whatever that other top-of-the-line Sony (R1?) discontinued wooden headphone is, I am worth 2 billion dollars and run several multinational corporations and have won nobel prizes for literature, science, peace and other stuff, as well as some pulitzer prizes for various arts.

The first time I heard lossy compression, it was LAME alt preset extreme MP3s, and I became so deeply impacted by the degradation in sound quality that I fell into a 3-month profound depression.

I use liquid nitrogen superconducter interconnects because anything else will cause distortion resulting in damage to my ability to hear ultra high frequencies, and besides electricity through copper or silver is like fingernails on a blackboard, of course.

I never use any type of EQ, digital or otherwise, because of easily audible phase shifts, added distortion, increased noise, etc. etc. Never mind that EQ was all over the place in the recording process. One more layer of EQ and I AM GOING TO SCREAM!!!!

For my headphones I only use balanced 1,000 watt DIY amps with independent volume knobs for each channel (though God only knows why). Of course it's a pain in the butt to turn the volume up and down but everything else sounds so awful!!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Or so I say.
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 62
can i tell you my age too? and the size of my mouth lips?
eek.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 62
I am over $50,000 in debt. Without my hearing aids I am deaf in both ears. The only audio stuff I have is a coby radio with stock earphones. I am only here for the chicks. Oh wait...
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 62
I did not know that Coby radios come with stock earbuds.

Or maybe what we have here is a LIAR!!!
mad.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
I am over $50,000 in debt. Without my hearing aids I am deaf in both ears. The only audio stuff I have is a coby radio with stock earphones. I am only here for the chicks. Oh wait...
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999
Here's your chance to be head-fi's most successful person with the best ears, best mind and best headphone gear!!! But please guys, try to keep it believable.
wink.gif

So tell us your gear, hearing acuity, IQ, wealth and personal accomplishments!
orphsmile.gif

As always at head-fi, if you post something and somebody tops you please feel free to revise your claims accordingly, either through a new post or by editing your old post.
cool.gif

I'll get things started:

FWIW, I can hear to 25 khz (and can make out the impact of overtones up to 47 khz on lower parts of the frequency spectrum), have and IQ of 198, have a Senn Orpheus and Stax Lamda (sp?) system, as well as a Sony Qualia (#1) headphone, Grado HF-1 (#1) headphone, and whatever that other top-of-the-line Sony (R1?) discontinued wooden headphone is, I am worth 2 billion dollars and run several multinational corporations and have won nobel prizes for literature, science, peace and other stuff, as well as some pulitzer prizes for various arts.

The first time I heard lossy compression, it was LAME alt preset extreme MP3s, and I became so deeply impacted by the degradation in sound quality that I fell into a 3-month profound depression.

I use liquid nitrogen superconducter interconnects because anything else will cause distortion resulting in damage to my ability to hear ultra high frequencies, and besides electricity through copper or silver is like fingernails on a blackboard, of course.

I never use any type of EQ, digital or otherwise, because of easily audible phase shifts, added distortion, increased noise, etc. etc. Never mind that EQ was all over the place in the recording process. One more layer of EQ and I AM GOING TO SCREAM!!!!

For my headphones I only use balanced 1,000 watt DIY amps with independent volume knobs for each channel (though God only knows why). Of course it's a pain in the butt to turn the volume up and down but everything else sounds so awful!!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Or so I say.
tongue.gif

Lay off the pipe buddy.
tongue.gif

<< Bottom feeder
eggosmile.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #9 of 62
I am greatness! . . . that is, if greatness can be defined as "a short dark-skinned man with bad hearing".

Oct 26, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #12 of 62
Yes! Due to an unfortunate ambiguity in drafting the poll categories, as long as you are not lying you meet the alternative test for the "I won't lie!" category, even if you do not technically meet the other criteria.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
I can do a pushup. Does that count?

Oct 26, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #13 of 62
My mom says I'm cool, guess that makes me the shizzle
wink.gif

Seriously though, I can't vote in this poll- I don't make much money, I've never had my IQ gauged, have no idea what my personal worth is, my rig isn't really expensive (probably less than $3500 for literally everything) but I can probably hear to 20khz and somewhere above (for airyness etc.) and if my books take off (now working on number two, a sequel that is dark and violent- yipee
biggrin.gif
) I'll actually have something to brag about. But for the sake of continuity, let's all assume I'm one bad mother and regard me accordingly
wink.gif

580smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back