Teen looking for help finding headphones
Dec 30, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:
Believe it or not, but I'm actually very enjoying my AKG K450's with rock and metal on the go when I don't want to take my T50's along.

They're great, so shoot me
smily_headphones1.gif

Did hear a few...

So what... A simple HD428 was better than I expected. With the K181 things get much better. 

Slayer sounded very violent through my HD428 and the heaviness inherent with Metal was present. 

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #17 of 29
Symphony X on 450's
atsmile.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #18 of 29
Just get a pair of IEM's. If you get into full sized I would say it is too easy to get way the hell out of budget. 
Beats are okay, but terrible for the price. My former Grado SR-225i's that I got for $150 around here sounded much better than them even without a dedicated source.
I really only got into HiFi in August. I got a pair of UE SuperFi 5vi's then. Now it is December and my setup is uDac>Schiit Asgard>HD650, nothing special. Audio is a very slippery slope.

Oh yeah, I am 15 as well. 

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #19 of 29

Quote:
Just get a pair of IEM's. If you get into full sized I would say it is too easy to get way the hell out of budget. 
Beats are okay, but terrible for the price. My former Grado SR-225i's that I got for $150 around here sounded much better than them even without a dedicated source.
I really only got into HiFi in August. I got a pair of UE SuperFi 5vi's then. Now it is December and my setup is uDac>Schiit Asgard>HD650, nothing special. Audio is a very slippery slope.

you could just as easily go overboard with IEMs...first you get some $50-100 IEM, then $100-150, then $150-200, $200-300(400) and pretty soon you want some customs...

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #20 of 29

Quote:
Quote:

you could just as easily go overboard with IEMs...first you get some $50-100 IEM, then $100-150, then $150-200, $200-300(400) and pretty soon you want some customs...

Not as easily though, IMO. I have V-Moda Vibes, Shure SE110's, then the UE's and I would say I was fine. Also I feel as thought IEM's are less sensitive to upgrades such as DAC's and amps so you don't have to bother with that problem. 
My advice should be taken with a grain of salt of course because I have been straying away from IEM's as of late. But I see a TF10 on my horizon. 

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #23 of 29

Quote:
Good help guys. I wish I registered here before I purchased my MDR-V6's though. It's due to arrive tomorrow from B&H. Blah.

I didn't find this site until after I started buying either. You'll learn a lot soon enough. Most important thing is figuring out what sound signature you like the best. Once you determine that, there are a lot of people here that can help you pick out the perfect phones in any price range...

Dec 31, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #24 of 29

Quote:
Quote:
Good help guys. I wish I registered here before I purchased my MDR-V6's though. It's due to arrive tomorrow from B&H. Blah.

I didn't find this site until after I started buying either. You'll learn a lot soon enough. Most important thing is figuring out what sound signature you like the best. Once you determine that, there are a lot of people here that can help you pick out the perfect phones in any price range...

now that's very true, exactly
and don't forget to enjoy that ride...

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

The V6 will make the sound difference between your ear buds and the V6 painfully clear. In my opinion it is a good headphone to get started with for it has some characteristics in the way it presents the music and the source which will reveal a lot. Just watch out with your listening volume.   

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #28 of 29
If you rather go for a good looking 50$ small fart cannon:

punchy deep controlled bass - just how i love my metal.
I actually carry this around more than my other portables. seems to be very strong enough to be tossed around and has detachable cord.
Very dark sound, bass driven signature, the only con was th fit, it was tight, but the clamping force is lesser now, so comfort its OK now.
I am kinda new and although i had some sets before joining i have tried just a few headphones. but this win in bass, amount and control.

Edit: i forgot the name of the headphone .... 
L3000.gif
 .... Equation RP15

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:
Yeah. I'm already very careful with headphones and listen on very low volume. The MDR-V6 cancels out a lot of sound from the outside. (or maybe thats just because i've never used headphones before) so I don't need it turned up so loudly. The quality is the best i've heard so far and it's only plugged into my Cowon J3.
biggrin.gif

No, not a lot. If you get some real isolating headphones you will notice the difference. The stock ear pads on the V6 are not very good for isolation. The best test is to get on the bus or train and play music on normal volumes and the beeps and sounds will still be audible unless the volume of the DAP counters it. Rooms filled with fridges, computers etcetera and other appliances which produce beeps and tones are also great for testing. It isolates enough though.

You will notice the difference with the better DJ headphones.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back