Teen looking for help finding headphones
Dec 30, 2010 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

enc643

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm 14, from the USA and I am looking for help to find some headphones.

My general price range would be $40 - $100 or so.

The main genre of music I listen to is Metal, and hard rock.

The source that I will be using will be my iPod Touch 4th generation, and my laptop.

I'm not looking for earbuds, I am looking for over the ear, or possibly closed. I also would like it to be not so bulky, and be stylish. Also portability, and something that will fold up, or go around my neck not to bulky. Noise cancelling optional, but it is not a must have. Perhaps color? My favorite colors are red, black, and blue. I also like green with black.

The bit-rate of most of my music is 128kbps, 196kbps or 256 kbps.

In the past I have used the standard apple ear buds, until they broke.
A pair of Skullcandy Low-riders ($40) over the ears until my dad ran the cord over with a vacuum cleaner.
A pair of Skullcandy Ink'd, ($15) earbuds broke on the 3rd day I had them, when I was biking, and one of the earbuds fell into the chain and snapped.

I currently use Sony piiq clasp earbuds, and I am ok with them, but would like to upgrade now to something of a higher quality.

My friend uses Sony Piiq Smooth Headphones, ($50) I tried them and they seemed to be nice. I have looked at the beats by dr. dre, and I think they seem a bit overpriced, and that I could find something better at that price.

Lastly weather-wise, I live in Minnesota, so we do get quite a bit of snow here, and have cold winters, so I just wanted to add that in incase it may apply.

Please help me, I am new to headphones, haha

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 29
Dec 30, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 29
I think I'm a bit caught up in the look of my headphones...

opinions on Sony Piiq Smooth Headphones?

Comes in 3 different colors. My friend has the green,blue, and brown pair.

http://discover.sonystyle.com/piiq/index.html?XID=F:piiq.com#/product/giiq-1

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #6 of 29
Commenting on the Poll up there, I really, really regret buying the Beats (I still have the Solos, but I managed to sell the Studios, thank god). They were okay for a while, but then I stopped caring about "Hey, this looks cool," and more about "Hey, the sound on these is complete and utter crap!"

Don't waste your money on the Beats.

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:
^ Blah. My headphones are not even in that list. Or is it not considered a portable headphone?

I had the V6, wonderful first headphone. I used a HD428 as portable but these days it is the PX200 II or K181 DJ. 

The V6 is usable as a portable headphone although - if I am correct - was not intended as one.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 29
I think the beats will be better than the other phones youve owned, but DEFINITELY not worth it. Do check out jokers thread. I disagree with many of his reviews, but its a place to start.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #11 of 29

Quote:
I think the beats will be better than the other phones youve owned, but DEFINITELY not worth it. Do check out jokers thread. I disagree with many of his reviews, but its a place to start.

especially the top tier models, at that point, what they lack is entirely based on your preferences

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #12 of 29
I think that you would be happier with a pair of MEelectronics M6 or M9. The M6 for $20 and the M9 for $15. Not the best sound, but great value.

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 29
Believe it or not, but I'm actually very enjoying my AKG K450's with rock and metal on the go when I don't want to take my T50's along.

They're great, so shoot me
smily_headphones1.gif

Did hear a few...

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 29

Quote:
Believe it or not, but I'm actually very enjoying my AKG K450's with rock and metal on the go when I don't want to take my T50's along.

They're great, so shoot me
smily_headphones1.gif

Did hear a few...

Quote:
I think that you would be happier with a pair of MEelectronics M6 or M9. The M6 for $20 and the M9 for $15. Not the best sound, but great value.

now that the sale is over, I would stay away from the M11's, even though they have a higher number (m6, m9, 11) they aren't the best sounding by far, just a warning

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #15 of 29
You will get awesome sound for Heavy Metal out of Grado SR-60 or iGrado, but they have quite tiring sound signature. I would recommend Etymotic HF-5 for IEM choice (weather compatible) but they are a bit out of your price range. Heavy metal sounds great in these. My personal favorite is DENON D1001 I think its the best portable out there, you may find them for $100. I'm listening to Derdian right now I absolutely love the sound. Very few headphones are actually good for heavy metal.  If you want the highest value/price ratio go for Philips SHP 5401 ($50 shipped), however these are open and not for outside listening in the winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back