teen audiophile moral issues
Apr 25, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #61 of 105
Going in steps is a much better idea than jumping in with two feet in. When you start from the bottom up, in steps, you'll just appreciate the next step in the audio journey so much more.
And on a related side note, I started my head-fi journey around the same time as you (16), and I've learned to have each incremental upgrade pop up over time to my parents. They have no beef with my stuff by now, since they see it everywhere now.

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #62 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have enough money saved to buy the iMod, why did you feel it necessary to intentionally break your Nano to get a new one to sell?

What?!?

And then you have the gall to post a thread titled 'teen audiophile moral issues'?!?

So what happens in a couple months when you've decided you don't want the iMod anymore? Going to intentionally break it and ask for your money back, too?

I'm getting the impression that your parents understand you better than you think they do.

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #63 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What?!?

And then you have the gall to post a thread titled 'teen audiophile moral issues'?!?

So what happens in a couple months when you've decided you don't want the iMod anymore? Going to intentionally break it and ask for your money back, too?

I'm getting the impression that your parents understand you better than you think they do.

I have to agree with Febs and Cooter on this....You talk about audiophile moral issues when you have basically committed fraud?

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #64 of 105
ksc75+shuffle+contentedness = bliss
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #65 of 105
Why would you break an Ipod? Even to get a new one, that's a stupid idea.

If I were to break my H120, thinking that it would be replaced. Well, I'd be insane.

If your going to break your things, I'm sure someone less fortunate on this forum will gladly take them.

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #68 of 105
im getting a job. it was already very scratched and dodgy, but not so much it actually needed a replacement. i just pushed it over, knowing that noone would pay for a scratched ipod like they would for a newer one. i also pay alot of money every month for this bonus insurance, knowing in advance that i could pull this off wen ready to sell.

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #69 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by needanamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it was already very scratched and dodgy, but not so much it actually needed a replacement. i just pushed it over, knowing that noone would pay for a scratched ipod like they would for a newer one. i also pay alot of money every month for this bonus insurance, knowing in advance that i could pull this off wen ready to sell.

The insurance covers *accidental* damage. The point people are making is that you caused the damage yourself, intentionally, so you could benefit. That's fraud. It's wrong.

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #70 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, I'd respect the wishes of your parents. No one knows the financial situation of your family like they do. Trust their judgement. At the end of the day, they're the ones you can truly count on to ALWAYS be there and steer you in the right direction despite what others may tell you.

Second, if this is really important to you, perhaps you could speak with them about the possibility of getting some after school work or maybe do some things around the house for some hobby money? The key is to be upfront and straight with them from the get go. If you're honest, respectful and sincere in the approach, I doubt your folks would say no. It certainly would be a sign of maturity which I think they'd respect.

Finally, even when you get off on your own, one very important lesson will be self restraint. Spur of the moment purchases and quick, ill thought out financial decisions can really get you into trouble. Best advice I got from my pops is forget the credit cards except for emergencies. Pay as you go. If you ain't got the $$ on you, you don't need to make that purchase. Good advice especially for young buyers like yourself.

Good luck and remember...your folks are on your side and only want what's best for you. Trust them. You may not like it or understand now, but it's the best thing to do.

Why should he respect their wishes in regards to audio? They sound ignorant to the benefits of good audio. (not a put down.) telling him it's not 'worth it' & will basically sound the same. They seem like control freaks to me.. He is 16.. If his parents did a good job raising him they should trust his judgment, & if the author spends his money foolishly, let him make this mistake, & I'm sure he will learn from it..If not, he will suffer the consequences. One of life's lessons. Be responsible.. His parents won't be able to tell him what is a good way to spend his money forever..

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #71 of 105
Quote:

im getting a job. it was already very scratched and dodgy, but not so much it actually needed a replacement. i just pushed it over, knowing that noone would pay for a scratched ipod like they would for a newer one. i also pay alot of money every month for this bonus insurance, knowing in advance that i could pull this off wen ready to sell.

I pay a lot of money every month for car insurance, but I'm not going to push my car into a ditch whenever I decide I want a new car. And the fact that you say you knew "in advance that [you] could pull this off wen (sic) ready to sell"....
plainface.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #72 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why should he respect their wishes in regards to audio? They sound ignorant to the benefits of good audio. (not a put down.) telling him it's not 'worth it' & will basically sound the same. They seem like control freaks to me.. He is 16.. If his parents did a good job raising him they should trust his judgment, & if the author spends his money foolishly, let him make this mistake, & I'm sure he will learn from it..If not, he will suffer the consequences. One of life's lessons. Be responsible.. His parents won't be able to tell him what is a good way to spend his money forever..

Quote:

She (mum) said i was being stupid with money and that not to expect any money from her for clothes etc.

I get the slight impression that the money he is spending really isn't his own money to begin with. That would be one reason to respect their wishes. But that's just me making an assumption, what do I know.

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #73 of 105
Quote:

What your parents need to do is hit you upside your head for being a fraudulent little brat. Harmless? It's thanks to scams like this one that consumers get less and less in the way of protection or customer service.

Now again, your money means your choice as to what you buy. If it's not your money, then it wasn't yours to spend.

As for what to buy, well that's your mistake to make. You'll only learn about that stuff by doing it yourself, but if the money isn't yours, then you have nothing to say about anything.

I also think your parents have your number, but they have it for the wrong thing. If you'd have them yell at you for the right thing, you can always clue them in to the entire story.
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #74 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get the slight impression that the money he is spending really isn't his own money to begin with. That would be one reason to respect their wishes.

Even if it was "his own money" that he earned "on his own" I presume his parents don't charge him room and board, so they deserve a modicum of control over how it's spent!

--Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back