teen audiophile moral issues
Apr 25, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #77 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if it was "his own money" that he earned "on his own" I presume his parents don't charge him room and board, so they deserve a modicum of control over how it's spent!

--Chris

I didn't even think of that angle. I can't even imagine spending that much on any one thing when I was 16. And Elphas, I'm also a member of Team iMod-less
frown.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #78 of 105
I was stuck living off thrift store stereo components. Came out ok with it to considering I found myself a nice pair of JBL studio monitors and an old Marantz amp. I know how you feel with that though. I ended up spending about $1k on a mountain bike when I was 16 and had to argue for days as to why I couldn't get a $100 Huffy. In the end the I managed to prevail, but my parents still don't understand half the crap I waste money on... guess thats just part of life.

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #79 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whose money is it? Your parents?

even when you make it, it ain't yer own. you must hoard all pennies in a secret stash for whence to pounce on a used can or some such thing.

but yep, ipod to hornet to custom IEMs sounds delish, but you can get by on shuffle to KSC-75 and bingo instant gratification. see how a bang for the buck floats your boat, and upgrade as needed over time and acclimation to your current rig.

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #81 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even when you make it, it ain't yer own. you must hoard all pennies in a secret stash for whence to pounce on a used can or some such thing.

but yep, ipod to hornet to custom IEMs sounds delish, but you can get by on shuffle to KSC-75 and bingo instant gratification. see how a bang for the buck floats your boat, and upgrade as needed over time and acclimation to your current rig.

If i make the damn money, it's my damn money. I can spend my money however i want even if it's a giant pack of condoms from costco.

Apr 25, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #82 of 105
As a lawyer, I think Jahn's point is, at least in this country, no it really is not your money (if you're under 18). Unless you've been emancipated, you are at the good humor of your parents in this regard. I do think that the ipod thing is shady, but I have seen it done before. That doesn't make it right
frown.gif
. In terms of the imod, try talking it out with your parents rationally because you cannot win a fight with them (nor is it worth it to pick one. To be frank using an imod with the phones you have now...is just silly.

Apr 25, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #85 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i feel sorry for you. whenever i buy something, my dad ribs me saying that it doesn't have enough output power or doesn't upsample enough. wanna trade?

funny

Apr 25, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #86 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by needanamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im getting a job. it was already very scratched and dodgy, but not so much it actually needed a replacement. i just pushed it over, knowing that noone would pay for a scratched ipod like they would for a newer one. i also pay alot of money every month for this bonus insurance, knowing in advance that i could pull this off wen ready to sell.

I don't care if you are 16 or 61 but I surely don't condone or encourage this type of fraudulant behavior, get a job..
Good luck with your "plan" and life, many here including me look down upon ****** plans like these. Your attitude and strategy on things in life seems to lack the couth and intelligence of an ethical person. This seems like a horrible plan to me and something a derelict would do.

My true advice would be any number of the following obvious punches to the face:
1 listen to your parents
2 stop ripping yourself and anyone you can off around you (this will come back to you)
3 learn how to spell, type, and generally communicate like an adult human being. Try not to compose sentences in lame nu-skool im talk either. Also, try not to directly contradict yourself in arguments or ethical concerns in which you yourself commence
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What your parents need to do is hit you upside your head for being a fraudulent little brat. Harmless? It's thanks to scams like this one that consumers get less and less in the way of protection or customer service. I also think your parents have your number.
wink.gif

well put

Apr 25, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #87 of 105
Fraud is fraud in most cases... it's bad to commit it, it's worse to brag about planning it ahead of time, and it's generally immoral, screwing over both whoever is providing the insurance and also all people who are using the insurance for valid reasons.

Fix what is wrong with yourself before embarking on purchasing expensive audio equipment of debatable utility.

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #89 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by needanamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
currently ipod nano gen2 black (was gunna sell for imod - rethinking)!

sennheiser mx400 - big bass! surprising little things.

sony mdr-ex71 fontopia - muddy.

I hope I'm not encouraging you to make expensive decisions you can't afford, but the first thing I'd do is ditch the Nano. The 2G ones are not cutting the mustard. Look at the Cowon D2 or even X5L (if you need an HD-based model) if you must stick to a portable. The iRiver Clix players aren't bad, and you can catch the 1st generation ones at a steal if you look around. (the Clix2nd gen is coming out)

If you have a small budget but want to upgrade-proof your investments, I would get a player with a good line out (for a headphone amp) and a good set of phones. The AKG DJ81s sound really good, if you can hack the headband (it's very stiff at first), and won't run you that much.

Good luck!

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #90 of 105
needanamp;2904396 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have you planned for what you're going to do if you're completely underwhelmed after spending hundreds of dollars?

sell!

That's why you research, and I mean totally research, before you plunk down the dollars. (if you had, you wouldn't have bought that Nano) Head-Fi is invaluable for that, and absolutely free to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back