teen audiophile moral issues
Apr 24, 2007 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

needanamp

100+ Head-Fier
im 16. I got BOLLOCKED by parents last night for buying an imod. had to ask for money back. They said im couaght up in the hype, it wont sound better, it wont even arrive, your not normal - how may teens click away 300 based on faith? i have 600 in th ebank. thats half my money. hmm. i just go sooo tempted. they got really angry. worst telling off in 16 years!!! its like im chasing for an inner satisfaction that ultimately cant be caught. therell always be something more i want to buy. they where ashamed that i could be content and moral and enjy life for what it is, not pay $600 for slightly better sound that is negligatable, considering so many ppl put up with normal ipods.
Yes, they are christian, and so am i sort of. She (mum) said i was being stupid with money and that not to expect any money from her for clothes etc. They think i am being led down a dodgy road, where you pay for things that dont really make a difference. 'How much better can it be?' was constantly asaked. They obviously dont understand music.

NAturally, i begged Ken (ALOAudio) for the moeny back. LIFESAVERRRR. i owe him alot. Now i dunno what to do. I dont want to go down the audiophile route if it will only tear my family apart...its not worth it.

Good job they didnt know i planned on a tomahwak amp and super.fi pro 5 too!!!

ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD ARGUMENTS FOR ME? What are your opinions on my situation??

however, it is true that i have GCSE's in 1 month, and i never revise, becasue headfi distracts me too much. i spend about 20hours a week on it. Not good!

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by needanamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
example?

ksc-75s perhaps?

yes, that. there also might be other bargains out today, I've only kept up with the $300 class of headphones so I don't know. Just pick a headphone that doesn't need an amp, since having to use a low-cost amp degrades sound quality. That means if you want to get an amp at all, it has to be a good one. Better to get an efficient headphone that does not require an amp in the first place.

the source is important, too. no need for an imod, though. just buy a cheap but good player for $80 and upgrade the opamp for better sound quality.

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 105
ksc's straight out of an ipod are quite enjoyable, as is a simple pair of sr-60's

what is your current setup? Your parents speak a bit of the truth, you should always listen to something with your own ears before buying, don't believe the hype. If you have a limited budget focus that firstly on headphones and you will get much better sound. Stuff like source modification and adding an amp is for later on when you have money and want to tweak your system. If you don't have good headphones at the moment an imod is a big waste of money.

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 105
What equipment do you have? You don't have a sig/profile...

Dragging your parents to a Head-Fi meet may work, but it could also BACKFIRE COMPLETELY. My mom kind understands my head-fi love a bit more now after I let her listen to a Bee Gees CD on my SR60s. But some people will hear the difference and still think that if the iBuds reproduce most of the notes it doesn't really matter how they reproduce them.

Audiophilism is a hobby like all hobbies, and can be expensive like many hobbies. And us audiophiles will pay for anything to make our experience as perfect as possible. That's just how it goes, and some people don't understand it. By now my parents don't completely understand it, but they just have the "It's your money, you worked for it, but if you blow it all don't come running to us" mentality. I really don't know what to tell you, but good luck anyway.

Oh, and btw: KSC75 is never a bad choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by needanamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
currently ipod nano gen2 black (was gunna sell for imod - rethinking)!

sennheiser mx400 - big bass! surprising little things.

sony mdr-ex71 fontopia - muddy.

Hmm, I'd upgrade the phones before going iMod. Do you think you can convince your parents to let you spend $50-70? Remember, great sound is always available for under $100 in the form of KSC75/PX100/SR60.

As much as I would like an iMod myself (don't have a 4G though), I can understand your parents freaking out to suddenly find out that you spent $300 on something they've never heard of. Just proceed cautiously, with some less expensive equpiment (see above), and keep your parents informed before your make purchases.

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 105
Sure, you have to play by your parents' rules when you're under their roof, but they seem overzealous in their control & enforcement of ideals here. Whether or not the imod purchase is a mistake - right now is a great time in your life to experience things and make mistakes (within reason, and an electronics purchase is definitely within reason, as long as that money wasn't earmarked for anything serious like education). Some things you'll only learn through experience, not though a parent's lectures. How did they find out anyways? It's probably a good time to start honing your ninja/stealth skills too
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, you have to play by your parents' rules when you're under their roof, but they seem overzealous in their control & enforcement of ideals here. Whether or not the imod purchase is a mistake - right now is a great time in your life to experience things and make mistakes (within reason, and an electronics purchase is definitely within reason, as long as that money wasn't earmarked for anything serious like education). Some things you'll only learn through experience, not though a parent's lectures. How did they find out anyways? It's probably a good time to start honing your ninja/stealth skills too
biggrin.gif

+1
600smile.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 105
hmm... you could hit em with a 2 x 4 till they let you get an imod, or you could try to talk it over with them. prove that you're worthy of it. would they rather have that money spent on an imod, or something illegal, like weed?

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #15 of 105
Get a pair of Pk2's and hang around until you make some money. I wouldn't let you spend half of your savings on an iMod if I were your parents either. An iMod without an amp is useless, so you'd end up spending all of your savings just to be able to use the iMod...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back