Teclast T51 + MS1i and CMOY Amp?
Jun 25, 2011 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

whoelse

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I am exploring option whether to add a portable amp just for fun while women buy bags and shoes we need some man toys too sometime :)

I have the T51 that uses RK2806 as DAC, Philips UDA1308 for HO and TI Op Amp OPA2604 for LO. I am waiting for my MS1i to come and I heard the Grado RA-1 works very well with Grado phones so I am looking at it's clones.

There is a Mint CMOY base amp supposedly uses the same JRC4556 as the RA-1 but supposedly improve on other components.

The description says: JRC4556 (high current chip) and an Alps RK097 volume control (with on/off switch). Built with top quality components, including Switch Craft, Alps, Dale Vishay, Nichicon (470uf Capacitors), TLE2426 rail splitter, and a gold 8-pin socket.

Total price w/shipping is around ~$60

Is that a good buy or just use the T51, save money and don't waste time in it?

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 3
^I would not waste time on it.  T51 is already amped.  It all depends on what type of headphones you use. If you use IEMs, you do not need external amp.  I have a high gain CMOY and line out amping makes no difference.  Grados are sensitive headphones, so they should not benefit from external amping.

Jun 26, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 3
@user02, that really sounds like a good opinion. The T51 AMP is quite powerful really but the LO is very much better with clean, better soundstage therefore I was considering getting something portable with volume control so I could use it with the LO. For this purpose, desktop AMP doesn't appeal much in this case. My curiosity is whether the CMOY or PA2V2 will change the sound so much that ended up not better than the build in AMP through T51 headout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back