Techno DJ's
Nov 23, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #31 of 68
just listed some of the few I know, I don't listen to dubstep often, but when I do it's usually those 3.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #32 of 68
Dubstep has been born within drum and bass breaks, breakbeat and with some UK rapers like Roots Manuva a decade ago, but now it has been torn apart out of those genres and comercialized to earn money of something they slipped before and there you go "dubstep" has been born.  Like Scuba but I would not call it dubstep, and people who listen dubstep don't like Scuba did not hear about Eskmo or Amon Tobin. It was a suprise to me that Scuba is a German, don't now why, luckly am headed to Berlin and I will not miss a chance to hear him.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #33 of 68
I've been really offended lately by people saying 'DubStep' is trash. (Don't take this as a personal attack, I'm not saying this is something you did, but I need to vent)

There's a ton of great artists that have emerged from this (mostly mediocre) genre that is (mainstream) DubStep. There's a ton of different kinds of DubStep. Most of what people consider trash is stuff like Rusko or Caspa...but there's way too many good DubStep artists to call the genre as a whole, trash. 

Nero
Burial
Feed Me (More Electro House, but plenty of DubStep)
NOISIA (Doing quite a bit of DubStep lately that's great)
DJ Fresh
Eskmo
Chasing Shadows
Gemini
KOAN Sound

And there's a lot more...

Sorry about the short rant...I could go on but I won't. 

tl;dr - DubStep isn't trash. Some of it is, but what genre (ever) doesn't have a ton of crap around the great stuff?

Quote:
just listed some of the few I know, I don't listen to dubstep often, but when I do it's usually those 3.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #34 of 68

Quote:
I've been really offended lately by people saying 'DubStep' is trash. (Don't take this as a personal attack, I'm not saying this is something you did, but I need to vent)

There's a ton of great artists that have emerged from this (mostly mediocre) genre that is (mainstream) DubStep. There's a ton of different kinds of DubStep. Most of what people consider trash is stuff like Rusko or Caspa...but there's way too many good DubStep artists to call the genre as a whole, trash. 

Nero
Burial
Feed Me (More Electro House, but plenty of DubStep)
NOISIA (Doing quite a bit of DubStep lately that's great)
DJ Fresh
Eskmo
Chasing Shadows
Gemini
KOAN Sound

And there's a lot more...

Sorry about the short rant...I could go on but I won't. 

tl;dr - DubStep isn't trash. Some of it is, but what genre (ever) doesn't have a ton of crap around the great stuff?

The artist that you listed are completely different than the artists I'm talking about, like Gemini, that kid is amazing his first ep, blew me away he is so talented. Nero is another great band. Im totally not calling these guy's trash I'm talking about artists that people who know nothing about the genre post like Bare, Figure, and just the artist who are topping the beatport charts now a days. Im sorry if I'm offending anyone, but the quality of these mainstream recordings are just awful, there is no musicality, no rhythm. The artists that you just posted are totally different the are outliers, they actually produce music, because they want to. Not because it's some fad and their looking to cash-in on it before the well dries up. The only artist I have not heard from your list is KOAN Sound, Burial and Dj Fresh. I'l' check them out it may or may not be my cup of tea. But from the other artists you have listed I am sure they may actually produce quality music.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #35 of 68
Last Nosia album Split the atom was very good and it was not what would people expect, it had different genres, quite a suprise. Noisa roots are far from dubstep but dont have nothing against it, just like more dnb/break version of Noisia.

My favorite from the album

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #36 of 68
Split the atom, was good, my favorite was Alpha Centauri.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #39 of 68

Quote:
Im totally not calling these guy's trash I'm talking about artists that people who know nothing about the genre post like Bare, Figure, and just the artist who are topping the beatport charts now a days.

While Figure is more drumstep than dubstep, I can agree it's obnoxious when you say dubstep and the first words out of people's mouths is "DID YOU HEER SCUUREH MUNSTERS N NEIC SPRITES MAAAAN!? SO AWUSUM" I tried listening to Digital Mystikz for like a week. I can't stand it. It feels empty, dead, and unexciting.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #40 of 68
Gamini's second EP is a huge step up for him. Really surprised it was better than Blue. KOAN Sound's first EP was on Inspected as well (Gemini is on Inspected) and KOAN Sound is fantastic. His latest EP (Funk Blaster) is great. 

Burial is minimal DubStep (best way I can describe it). He has 2 albums and a few collabs out. The collabs are tough to get a hold of but the albums can easily be bought. His first one is good, but he really became the artist I love on Untrue (his second album). 

DJ Fresh is an Old School Neurofunk artist that's done some nice DubStep tunes as of late. If you're a DnB fan you'll enjoy it. 

Oh, and in response to the NOISIA discussion. Split the Atom is one of my top 10 albums of all time. It's absolutely stunning. My favorite track is Thursday, but Alpha Centauri is a close second. Their recent stuff on Mau5trap is good, but it's not Split the Atom.

Quote:
The artist that you listed are completely different than the artists I'm talking about, like Gemini, that kid is amazing his first ep, blew me away he is so talented. Nero is another great band. Im totally not calling these guy's trash I'm talking about artists that people who know nothing about the genre post like Bare, Figure, and just the artist who are topping the beatport charts now a days. Im sorry if I'm offending anyone, but the quality of these mainstream recordings are just awful, there is no musicality, no rhythm. The artists that you just posted are totally different the are outliers, they actually produce music, because they want to. Not because it's some fad and their looking to cash-in on it before the well dries up. The only artist I have not heard from your list is KOAN Sound, Burial and Dj Fresh. I'l' check them out it may or may not be my cup of tea. But from the other artists you have listed I am sure they may actually produce quality music.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #41 of 68
I think Skrillex is a necessary evil in my music library. The original songs aren't favorites by any means but there's some sick remixes that have been spawned from them. 

The Dirtyphonics mix of Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites was fantastic, and so was the Bare Noize mix of Kill Everybody. 

...and I hate to admit it but I loved Still Gettin' It on the Foreign Beggars latest EP.

Quote:
While Figure is more drumstep than dubstep, I can agree it's obnoxious when you say dubstep and the first words out of people's mouths is "DID YOU HEER SCUUREH MUNSTERS N NEIC SPRITES MAAAAN!? SO AWUSUM" I tried listening to Digital Mystikz for like a week. I can't stand it. It feels empty, dead, and unexciting.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #44 of 68
The thread started on a pretty hostile note already. Had to happen sometime. The EDM thread in the Music section stays pretty debate free, thankfully.

Quote:
just lovely that every electronic music discussion always seems to turn into a dubstep argument.

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #45 of 68
Most of the artists mentioned at this thread are NOT Techno Dj's..
I don't know if most of you truly understand how Techno music sounds like...
Umek,Beltek,Marco Bailey,Axel Karakasis etc...
These guys play Techno music not Scrillex for God's sake...
blink.gif

And yes i admit it.....
biggrin.gif

Dubstep is the worst genre of EDM i have ever listened to for the past 15 years...(sorry about that....
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back