Techno DJ's
Nov 23, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #47 of 68

Quote:
I think Skrillex is a necessary evil in my music library. The original songs aren't favorites by any means but there's some sick remixes that have been spawned from them. 

The Dirtyphonics mix of Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites was fantastic, and so was the Bare Noize mix of Kill Everybody. 

...and I hate to admit it but I loved Still Gettin' It on the Foreign Beggars latest EP.

Oh, I'm a Skrillex fan, but I hate people who think they're dubstep aficionados after listening to Skrillex. 

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #48 of 68
I will try and put my contribution to get this thread on its way..

Back in the days I was listening to Detroit Techno, and among others Carl Cox had a great album called "At the end of the cliche". It was labeled as house all right, but it had lots and lots of D.Techno flavor, I enjoyed it and liked the style of Cox back in the days.

What is with Detroit Techno these days, is there anything worth of listen, does it still exist or is it all minimal and tech ?

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #49 of 68
I may be a newbie, but I think I may know a difference between a DJ and an artist.
I think an example of an artist would be Skrillex. He makes his songs at home, off a stage. They're great songs, but when he's on a stage, I admit, he presses play on a macbook and trips out.
As for a DJ, I don't really know that much about any DJs to say anything about them.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #52 of 68

Trentemoller is a fantastic artist, really enjoyed Last Resort.  His minimalist/ambient approach with some wicked, deep basslines just make me want to zone out.  Must admit though, I get headaches from listening to it too loud :) 
Quote:
Trentemoller's nice--especially his remix of Midnight City.

I wish BT would produce more stuff like This Binary Universe.  His best album by far IMO and some of his best songs save for singles like Godspeed, Dreaming

Quote:
BT would like to have a word with you. 

Also, there are so many things wrong with this thread I don't even know where to start. (But I'll try and find a starting point)

Well, I'd start by saying wrong forum. :p

I would also like to thank someone for mentioning Danger as that man is brilliant. 

Oh, and starting a thread by saying no fighting and then saying some ignorant **** about someone you don't like isn't a great plan.

Oh yea, why no Photek love?

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #54 of 68
My favorite album of all time is BT's 'These Hopeful Machines'. It has something for everyone and was just brilliant from start to finish. I can't listen to it anymore without having 2 hours to dedicate to the entire thing.

Quote:
I wish BT would produce more stuff like This Binary Universe.  His best album by far IMO and some of his best songs save for singles like Godspeed, Dreaming

Oakenfold is a master. I'm a huge Oakenfold fan. Never got too into the other 2, to be honest. Daft Punk gets my first spot because Alive 2007 is absolutely my favorite live performance ever. Just listening to it has easily bested most of the actual shows I've been to see. Watching it on video just makes it that much better. The way those guys work together is amazing. 

Quote:
What's your opinion of guys like Oakenfold, Sasha, DJ Moda?  Damn, am I showing my age here?

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #55 of 68
I'll have to give that one a chance.  There's a couple tracks I know/like from it, I'll give it a full sitting.

I know what you mean about that Alive 2007, simply amazing performance.  It's wierd, I've been an Oakenfold fan since I found a Voyage into Trance CD (used to play Unreal Tournament to it, it just fit so well) back in high school.  He gets plenty of exposure, even mainstream, yet, not many people seem to know him very well.  Odd I tell you.  But yea, how you are with These Hopeful Machines I'm with Another World.

Quote:
My favorite album of all time is BT's 'These Hopeful Machines'. It has something for everyone and was just brilliant from start to finish. I can't listen to it anymore without having 2 hours to dedicate to the entire thing.

Oakenfold is a master. I'm a huge Oakenfold fan. Never got too into the other 2, to be honest. Daft Punk gets my first spot because Alive 2007 is absolutely my favorite live performance ever. Just listening to it has easily bested most of the actual shows I've been to see. Watching it on video just makes it that much better. The way those guys work together is amazing. 

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #56 of 68

Quote:

I'm DEFINITELY more partial to the masterpiece that is TBU. I used Good Morning Kaia as the first song to play on my first set of cans. It's by far my favorite calm song by BT next to The Road to Lostwithiel.

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #57 of 68
I'm glad we are getting this thread back on track. But honestly I just listened to Danger all day today and was like why is he not just so big. Also, on of my favorite songs right now is Jeffer by Boys Noize. 

But on the topic of Alive 2007, it's just honestly something to behold, just an amazing live performance. Great visuals, and just stellar mixes of their songs I'm always wowed. But the thing I'm always trying to figure out is that, what if their just pressing play and rockin' out, or are they actually that great, that they can make better live mixes, than some of the best Djs' thats crazy and I honestly believe that they are playing live, making those mixes and thats why I always go wow, whenever I listen to Daft Punk. 

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #58 of 68

Quote:
 But the thing I'm always trying to figure out is that, what if their just pressing play and rockin' out, or are they actually that great, that they can make better live mixes, than some of the best Djs' thats crazy and I honestly believe that they are playing live, making those mixes and thats why I always go wow, whenever I listen to Daft Punk. 

Considering both Guy Manuel and Thomas Bangalter are extremely talented solo, I would not be surprised if combining their strengths and weaknesses at the same time makes them capable out mashing together the Alive '07 tracks with such symmetry. That and practice.

Random tangent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4suman5n0
MY. GOD.

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #60 of 68
It seams that French people do like techno spice to their dance music. There is duft pank, mstrkrft and modeselector which have great live performances, not grandiose parties like duft punk but more underground, club parties which are a great fun as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back