Technics Premium Stereo Earphones EAH-TZ700
Nov 27, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #136 of 219
going to let go of my little gems if anyone is interested. Bought in Japan first hand. I have taken both the original cable and merged them into a single cable with pentaconn 4.4 L plug termination. PM if interested, I’ll post it up in the buy n sell forum soon.

Mar 29, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #139 of 219
A day late and a dollar short, but I picked up a new set of these at a substantially reduced price. I just had a hunch they'd be decent and bullet style iems tend to be more comfortable for me. To say I'm blown away is an understatement. How did these fly under the radar? There doesn't seem to be too much about them floating around. If anyone out there still runs these, which cable did you go with? The stock ones work well but are a hair too microphonic for my liking (similar to my Etymotics). Did anyone find a sweet spot pairing with any particular portable dac/amp?

Mar 29, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #140 of 219
A day late and a dollar short, but I picked up a new set of these at a substantially reduced price. I just had a hunch they'd be decent and bullet style iems tend to be more comfortable for me. To say I'm blown away is an understatement. How did these fly under the radar? There doesn't seem to be too much about them floating around. If anyone out there still runs these, which cable did you go with? The stock ones work well but are a hair too microphonic for my liking (similar to my Etymotics). Did anyone find a sweet spot pairing with any particular portable dac/amp?
I don't know, as already said in another thread, they quickly become one of my favourite iems, and I think one of the best single d.d. on the market, as for the cable I bought a linum bax, super thin cable, combined with the lightness of the iems, seem to have nothing in the ears, but the stock cable is very good imo.

PXL_20230215_155925835.jpg

Mar 29, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #141 of 219
Still miss the tz700, I agree they are hidden gems that flew under the radar and not sure why. IMHO it does not get better than tz700 until the 2k mark :)

When I had them I tried multiple cables but the best was the stock cable. For less microphonics, linum superbax is a good choice but quite expensive if you are not into the cables game.

Mar 29, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #144 of 219
Another TZ700 fan here... I had a pretty ridiculous buying spree of other higher priced IEMs over the past fall & winter, and the level of kilobuck sets the TZ700 toppled (to my ears) was pretty surprising. I'm using a Penon Obsidian cable on my pair. I like wearing them cable over the ears, and to achieve that comfortably took some cable rolling. It seems that ones without any memory wire, allowing the cable to bend / flex freely over the ears, work best.

Mar 29, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #145 of 219
Love the modular cable idea. I had the Kinera Leyding cable on a different set of IEMs and it was great, but after listening to these I've decided to let those IEMs go and send the cable back for a refund (Amazon for the win!). Just threw caution to the wind and ordered a different cable a few days ago from China during the AliExpress sale, so that should be here in 3 weeks if I'm fortunate!

Mar 29, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #146 of 219
Here's my set w/ the Obsidian cable, and SednaEarfit Max tips. The cable sounds great w/ the TZ700, but I think Penon needs to R&D a better connector. After a few swaps, the plugs frequently fall off waaayyyyy too easily, and sometimes in a casual bumping of the jack it breaks away right in the middle of listening. Really frustrating. Because of that, functionally speaking I couldn't recommend this cable, but for sonics, for sure.

I have another cable w/ swappable tips, the ddHiFi BC120C Sky, and their implementation of a pull-off interchangeable plug is much, much better. Wish Penon would mimic theirs.

TZ700_Obsidian Cable.jpg

ddHiFi cable (thinking about getting an MMCX version; the one I have is 2-pin, currently on the FatFreq Maestro SE):

25026539.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #147 of 219
Can definitely recommend ddHiFi stuff. I have their 4.4 adapters for 2.5 and 3.5 and they work great!

Mar 29, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #149 of 219
I can add my kudos to the TZ700! It remains my top choice in my collection. After much back and forth, my ears told me that they sounded better than my Monarch MkII which I subsequently sold. My favorite combination is the Cayin RU6 (NOS mode), Linum Superbax cable and my all-time favorite tips, the UE900 green core. I also use a Sonateer Headspace, a small British-built analog device that adds some crossfeed to the source output.

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Chris (cn11) for his suggestion that I give them a listen. As our tastes in SQ are quite similar, I did finally find a mint set which I much treasure. How they have seemed to escape Head-Fi interest is beyond my comprehension!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #150 of 219
I can add my kudos to the TZ700! It remains my top choice in my collection. After much back and forth, my ears told me that they sounded better than my Monarch MkII which I subsequently sold. My favorite combination is the Cayin RU6 (NOS mode), Linum Superbax cable and my all-time favorite tips, the UE900 green core.

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Chris (can

11) for his suggestion that I give them a listen. As our tastes in SQ are quite similar, I did finally find a mint set which I much treasure. How they have seemed to escape Head-Fi interest is beyond my comprehension!

So good to hear you're still enjoying them. I can't get rid of mine either! No matter what level of IEM I try out the TZ700 holds its own... and while not necessarily 'besting' some of the higher priced ones I've had and sold in recent months, it does something better in every case. Heck, it's even outlasted the Trifecta for me. Currently have FatFreq Maestro SE, and while I do think I enjoy it a hair more than the TZ700 overall, there's still something in its midrange presentation that is more magical than the FatFreq. Plus just the fluidity of its overall presentation is undeniable.

Under the radar magical little beast for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back