Technica ATH M50 vs Sennheiser 598
Aug 15, 2011 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

c4llum

New Head-Fier
Im looking for some new headphones and have narrowed it down to these two but i'm pretty split on which one to get, from what i have heard the 598's are absolutely incredible but there also quite a bit more that the M50's. So my question is this, are the 598's worth the extra cash.

Also i'm pretty new to high end audio so i want to know do i need an amp when using these with my computer. I have a soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty pro sound card.

Aug 15, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #2 of 5
for more help you should give the kind of music you are listening 
wink_face.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 5
One's also an open can (598) while the other is closed (M50) so if you don't want people around you to hear what you're listening to (or you don't want to hear your surroundings), then your choice is easy, the M50. To my ears the M50 has more bass impact but the 598 sounded clearer in the mids and highs.

Both are fairly low impedance phones so you don't need an amp to drive them but it wouldn't hurt either. I didn't hear too much of a difference with either can when connected directly to my computer or through an amp.

Aug 15, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 5
for gaming I would recommend getting the open headphones. They provide a bigger soundstage and give you a overall better experience. There's a thread about which headphones are best for gaming here somewhere. Punk, Metal and Indie play pretty well on the M50's, and they do isolate if that's what you're looking for. Haven't heard the 598's so i cant comment as far as they go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back