[TEASER] Massdrop x ??? - New Custom In-Ear Monitor available September
Sep 28, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #421 of 677
so the Linum Bax sound is similar to copper or more similar to silver?? they sell it here in UAE, i am thinking about getting one, since i assume my Silver Widow won't be a good combo + this CIEM, since a copper cable would fit it more

how does it improve the Ei.XX ??? @twister6

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #422 of 677
  so the Linum Bax sound is similar to copper or more similar to silver?? they sell it here in UAE, i am thinking about getting one, since i assume my Silver Widow won't be a good combo + this CIEM, since a copper cable would fit it more

BaX is more similar to silver (6 litz conductors made up of 7 individual strands, each strand is silver plated copper with enamel), you get a brighter tonality.  Plus, with a very low impedance you'll hear a boost in a sound level.  To my ears, switching to BaX is like pushing a eq "boost" button.  But our hearing perception varies, so the level of improvement I'm hearing is not necessary the same as you would hear.

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #423 of 677

I've managed to get a rough idea of how the CIEM would sound like based on a separate description of it. I personally think that your silver widow, being pure silver, would be a better fit than the bax. 

I personally own a bax, and found that while it did give a little more sub bass boost, it came at a cost of lowered transparency. While it may help increase the fun factor of some CIEMS, i do however feel that it would take away more than it added for the Ei.XX, given its emphasis on the lowers. 

If you wanna go copper, try SPC, or silver/copper fusion. I would avoid silver/gold cables tho, since it tends to add add a little to the lowers, which is already what this CIEM does well. 

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #424 of 677

BaX is more similar to silver (6 litz conductors made up of 7 individual strands, each strand is silver plated copper with enamel), you get a brighter tonality.  Plus, with a very low impedance you'll hear a boost in a sound level.  To my ears, switching to BaX is like pushing a eq "boost" button.  But our hearing perception varies, so the level of improvement I'm hearing is not necessary the same as you would hear.

though on Headphonia mike stated that to his ears its more similar to Copper, ofc we all heard differently

so if its similar to Silver, then i won't need it? since i got Silver Widow cable from Toxic Cable, or what do you think? better Synergy?  

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #426 of 677

I've managed to get a rough idea of how the CIEM would sound like based on a separate description of it. I personally think that your silver widow, being pure silver, would be a better fit than the bax. 

I personally own a bax, and found that while it did give a little more sub bass boost, it came at a cost of lowered transparency. While it may help increase the fun factor of some CIEMS, i do however feel that it would take away more than it added for the Ei.XX, given its emphasis on the lowers. 

If you wanna go copper, try SPC, or silver/copper fusion. I would avoid silver/gold cables tho, since it tends to add add a little to the lowers, which is already what this CIEM does well. 

oh i see, the SW would be cool then, and no worries, i don't mind Extra bass, in fact i was thinking about getting Black Widow cable for the bass :p 

will post about the cable + this CIEM after i test it for while, for the time being i am waiting for Mass Drop to accept the payment -.-'' its on pending :/ 

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #427 of 677
  Having read some of the comments, it appears that none has touched on much beside the lower bass quantity and quality. As such, i'm hoping that someone who has heard the other two aspects;

1: transparency: I find transparency, or detail resolution my first and foremost concern in any IEM. For reference, I personally even find reference monitors like the UERM veiled and lacking detail resolution. With the exception of a more obscure 2 driver CIEM, the only other IEM which I suppose the mainstream community may be familiar with would be Lime Ear's Ether, to have the detail resolution which I seek. So, does the Ei.XX have that kind of detail resolution? 

2: upper extensions. The other aspect I rather enjoy would be in the high extensions. So  putting aside the bass details, does the highs of the EiXX have that sparkle you hear that extends from, say, a cymbal clash as it decays and fades out. 

Thanks and cheers. 

Piotr have posted FR graphs that you will find very helpful, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/778219/teaser-massdrop-x-new-custom-in-ear-monitor-available-september/240#post_11871086

Also, most of the impressions have talked about sound beyond low end :wink:.  You can read my first impression here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/778219/teaser-massdrop-x-new-custom-in-ear-monitor-available-september/315#post_11932774

Ei.xx has a great retrieval of details, but I'm afraid what you are looking for with your reference to transparency and upper extension is IEM/CIEM with a more analytical signature.  Ei.xx are naturally bright but not sparkly, they are relatively bright/detailed, but not airy or analytical.  I would classify them as smooth detailed, more toward organic tonality. For comparison, SE846 mids are more upfront, harsher, less organic, while treble has more sparkle, more airiness, and slightly less attenuated extension in upper end (but I hear it more artificial than natural, sorry, don't want to sound biased, just not a fan of SE846).

Honestly, I don't think Ei.xx is what you are looking for.

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #429 of 677
30 units are left, people better hurry before they lose the chance of having one of the first 50 Ei.xx CIEMs 
L3000.gif

Sep 28, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #430 of 677
Originally Posted by twister6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Dixter : I would recommend to look into connector option to match majority of your other IEMs/CIEMs.  After market cables are not cheap, so if you are planning to invest money into the upgrade cable - might as well share this resource among your other headphones.

Review units came with a stock cable which is not bad at all, and I'm sure a lot of people will be fine with it.  I don't have an experience with Thor cable, but do with Linum and used my own BaX for testing.  The improvement with BaX is really on a level of refinement with a little brighter and a bit more detailed sound, and tighter low end.  Other silver plated and pure silver cables with have a similar effect.  From my own personal experience, silver-based cables pair up better with neutral and warmer signature, while regular ofc or pure copper warms up/smooth out brightness of analytical sound sig.

I provided a picture of Ei.xx with BaX before, here it is below again.  Cable is super thin, nearly disappears by blending with your skin.  But at the same time, they are a bit hard to manage due to a slight memory effect of the wire and some tangling.  Also keep in mind, with a regular cable or any other thicker cable upgrade, you get some kind of a memory wire which is easy to grab when you are removing CIEMs.  With BaX you don't need memory wire, which could be a bit of a challenge at first to figure out how to take CIEMs out of your ears with a clock-wise twist (I found it easier when I grab a tip of the connector with my fingers).  Everything has its pros and cons, when it comes to sound improvement BaX definitely steps it up.

The improvement with BaX is really on a level of refinement with a little brighter

I'd love to see the impedance curve of the ei.xx because it might make this statement even more humorous. If the impedance slopes downwards in the treble then your statement will be objectively wrong.

Quote:
  There's no difference connector wise.

And yes as @twister6 pointed out recessed with Linum while most probably possible is not the best configuration.

The Linum BAX cable has an impedance of 1.5Ω due to how thin it is. This is a negative and multi-balanced armature IEMs have wild impedance swings. The JH Audio Angie is under 5Ω beyond 6Khz. This means that high output impedance will greatly affect the frequency response of the IEM. In the case of the JH Audio Angie, with the impedance curve sloping downwards in the treble, you'll see the treble frequency response reduced as output impedance increases.

=733&graphID[]=743&scale=30]The difference in frequency response between the ER-4P and ER-4S is solely because of the 75Ω resistor in the adapter. You can see that with the ER-4P the impedance slopes upwards which is why adding resistance increases treble. With the UERM you can see the impedance slopes downwards in the treble. With a 100Ω resistor you can see how the treble is greatly reduced. So with balanced armature IEMs you want a low output impedance to avoid the frequency response being affected. If a headphone/IEM has a flat impedance curve then frequency response will not change as a result of output impedance.

The resistance of a cable is dependent upon it's area. Pretty much all cables have a negligible resistance because that cross-sectional area is high but as the Linum cables are so thin their resistance is higher. So that is why Linum cables are technically worse than standard cables as their impedance affects frequency response. Now the affect it has is very marginal and I certainly recommend Linum cables because they are thin, almost invisible and have low microphonics. I prefer the older BAX cables that don't have the tangleless feature as that "feature" means that when the cable is slack it starts coiling itself. All Music/Vocal cables have that tangleless feature.

Sep 28, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #431 of 677

The improvement with BaX is really on a level of refinement with a little brighter

I'd love to see the impedance curve of the ei.xx because it might make this statement even more humorous. If the impedance slopes downwards in the treble then your statement will be objectively wrong.

I will leave an objective review coverage up to a fine audiophile contributor, such as yourself.  I never claimed to be an audiophile and do contribute to Head-fi community with a lot of my subjective REVIEWS to tell people how I hear things from my ear perspective and in comparison to other headphones and audio equipment.

I'm glad you find my post humorous, sir.  Perhaps that explains why all these manufacturers having so much fun sending me their review samples every week
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #432 of 677
Hearing is subjective what I hear is going to be different from the other reviewers, it doesn't mean either or is right or wrong. But  for  the most part there pretty close to one another.  I am know were near as technical as others and I like to put my reviews in simple terms. The one thing I do know is no matter what is said the Custom Art Ei.xx sounds phenomenal they bring a certain energy to the lower and higher frequencies that is captivating. And the build quality is top notch, it still amazes me Custom Art can fit 6 drivers, crossovers, acoustic tubing, filters and wires in shells and keep it looking organized. I have seen some customs that look like spaghetti.

I may not be able to explain sound as good as others but whoever purchased the Ei.xx today will NOT be disappointed.  Now the hardest part the waiting period, to hold you over I will post some more pictures of the Ei.xx tomorrow. Seems like a good subject to shoot with the new Canon L glass I purchased today.

Alex now you have to get the wife pair of customs, it would make a nice birthday present lol.

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #435 of 677
  I am still wondering should I buy this as my first CIEM, or should I save for a flagship level CIEM since I already have IE800 and SE846.

'Flagship' is over-rated. It comes down to aligning your signature preferences with the correct IEM.

Based on impressions so far, if you like SE846 you will like Ei.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back