[TEASER] Massdrop x ??? - New Custom In-Ear Monitor available September
Sep 28, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #406 of 677

Sorry up front if I'm asking dumb questions... because I'm a bit confused ...

One of the drop options is for the Effect Audio Thor SPC cable....  this is not a Linum cable ? 

nor do I see a Linum cable as an option... this would exclude the Linum capabilities to enhance the CIEM ?

The test units that were sent out for review...  what cable is on them ?

I only ask because the connector choices are options for a Linum cable... and a link to the Linum website was supplied on the Drop Comments page to show the different connector types....  

a few considerations exist there...  

do I want a Effect Audio Thor SPC cable or a Linum cable?  I'm thinking they will sound different with these CIEM
do I want a cable connection that matches my other CIEM so I can swap cables

Well, the selection of cable standard in the order form is a bit troublesome.
Thor is not Linum, it's Effect Audio. So technically you cannot have "Linum T2 Effect Audio Thor" even though such combination is possible to pick in the order form.

What other CIEMs do you have? The most popular is still 2-pin which we use as default option. 

Review units were sent with standard cable.

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #407 of 677
Preview samples were sent with stock cable. All impressions were given with this cable save for twister6 who used Linum BaX. I personnally did not like it because it took the mediums down without improving bass (which don't need to be improved imho). But twister6 likes bass more than me from what I understand.

The Linum connector options mean you're getting a Linum cable (Music or BaX depending on the option). They are not compatible with Thor cable option.

For the cable, see @twister6 in post 396 above : http://www.head-fi.org/t/778219/teaser-massdrop-x-new-custom-in-ear-monitor-available-september/390#post_11950476. In other words, if you don't know, go stock.

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #408 of 677
@Dixter : I would recommend to look into connector option to match majority of your other IEMs/CIEMs.  After market cables are not cheap, so if you are planning to invest money into the upgrade cable - might as well share this resource among your other headphones.

Review units came with a stock cable which is not bad at all, and I'm sure a lot of people will be fine with it.  I don't have an experience with Thor cable, but do with Linum and used my own BaX for testing.  The improvement with BaX is really on a level of refinement with a little brighter and a bit more detailed sound, and tighter low end.  Other silver plated and pure silver cables with have a similar effect.  From my own personal experience, silver-based cables pair up better with neutral and warmer signature, while regular ofc or pure copper warms up/smooth out brightness of analytical sound sig.

I provided a picture of Ei.xx with BaX before, here it is below again.  Cable is super thin, nearly disappears by blending with your skin.  But at the same time, they are a bit hard to manage due to a slight memory effect of the wire and some tangling.  Also keep in mind, with a regular cable or any other thicker cable upgrade, you get some kind of a memory wire which is easy to grab when you are removing CIEMs.  With BaX you don't need memory wire, which could be a bit of a challenge at first to figure out how to take CIEMs out of your ears with a clock-wise twist (I found it easier when I grab a tip of the connector with my fingers).  Everything has its pros and cons, when it comes to sound improvement BaX definitely steps it up.

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #411 of 677
  connector wise...

what is the difference between 2 pin BAX ($45)  and Standard 2 pin

I will let Piotr answer this questions since I don't know if he is offering recessed and/or regular 2pin socket option..  2-pin connector is standard, but some headphones use recessed socket which requires a slimmer connector housing.  Current BaX 2pin doesn't support recessed socket unless you file the connector on the sides.  But at the same time, Ei.xx doesn't use a recessed socket (or I don't think it comes with that option).

BTW, here is how it looks with BaX cable, you can't even see the wire.

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #414 of 677
Thanks twister6...    you post answers a couple questions....  

Quote:

I will let Piotr answer this questions since I don't know if he is offering recessed and/or regular 2pin socket option..  2-pin connector is standard, but some headphones use recessed socket which requires a slimmer connector housing.  Current BaX 2pin doesn't support recessed socket unless you file the connector on the sides.  But at the same time, Ei.xx doesn't use a recessed socket (or I don't think it comes with that option).

BTW, here is how it looks with BaX cable, you can't even see the wire.

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #415 of 677
Can't wait, just ordered my first CIEM 
biggrin.gif

Now I just have to find a audicien with the right impression material. 

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #417 of 677
Having read some of the comments, it appears that none has touched on much beside the lower bass quantity and quality. As such, i'm hoping that someone who has heard the other two aspects;

1: transparency: I find transparency, or detail resolution my first and foremost concern in any IEM. For reference, I personally even find reference monitors like the UERM veiled and lacking detail resolution. With the exception of a more obscure 2 driver CIEM, the only other IEM which I suppose the mainstream community may be familiar with would be Lime Ear's Ether, to have the detail resolution which I seek. So, does the Ei.XX have that kind of detail resolution? 

2: upper extensions. The other aspect I rather enjoy would be in the high extensions. So  putting aside the bass details, does the highs of the EiXX have that sparkle you hear that extends from, say, a cymbal clash as it decays and fades out. 

Thanks and cheers. 

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #419 of 677
What you are looking for is with low end and upper extension is exactly what Peter created with the Ei.xx and I think everyone else that is reviewing theses can agree.

Sep 28, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #420 of 677
Hey guys! 

Just a little comment: I'm not a cable believer, but some people are so in my impressions post I used the standard cable to test, so that the sound would be similar to what you'd get if you'd buy it standard.
I took pictures with the Linum Bax because that's what I've been using on them. 
I bought this cable for it's ergonomics. Not that the stock cable is uncomfortable, it's just that the Linum BaX is SO DAMN LIGHT it practically disappears when using.

I use the Ei.xx as my "go-to" CIEM, taking it everywhere: commute, work, gym, etc.

I mostly use my UM Mentor, usually at home for some more critical listening. Not that one is better thatn the other: they are different beasts with different purposes.

Just reiterating what I said before: The Ei.xx hits a nice sweet spot for me. For me, it doesn't have the "crispest" (does this word even exist?) sound and most transparent presentation, but it's so smooth and round! It has a nice lush and full bodied signature that you can listen endlessly. I'm extremely happy and proud to support a company like CustomArt. 

If anyone wants to PM me for any other questions, I'm very open to help. I try to come here as often as possible, but lately I've been drowned in work.

Thank you Piotr for the amazing CIEM and keep up the good work!

Happy listening to all! 
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back