Teach me how to make lunch!
Jul 17, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #16 of 42
The easiest and cheapest lunch is sandwich - perfect for poor uni students.
Buy sandwich, some hams, cheese, lettuce, mayo, mustard and mix it up.
If you're getting bored with ham, change to nutella.
Or fried egg sunny side up well done, put it as sandwich filling, smear with tomato ketchup

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #17 of 42
Sandwiches are always a good idea. Kraft dinner is also tasty (not particularly healthy tho).

I picked up a student cook book for ~$10 and it's like 400 pages of stuff that's relatively easy to make in a hurry and pretty healthy. That way, you can make something new every day of the year :p

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #18 of 42
you say you dont want to buy lb of turkey and then have to eat it all week, erm just go to the deli counter in the supermarket and buy the ammounts of things you want.

oh also have you ever tried Heinz Sandwich Spread? 

its rather odd but has a fantastically tangy taste that really liven up otherwise dull flavours.  actually do you get in the US?  im just assuming so since it Heinz.

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #19 of 42
you say you dont want to buy lb of turkey and then have to eat it all week, erm just go to the deli counter in the supermarket and buy the ammounts of things you want.

oh also have you ever tried Heinz Sandwich Spread? 

its rather odd but has a fantastically tangy taste that really liven up otherwise dull flavours.  actually do you get in the US?  im just assuming so since it Heinz.

I used to have that a lot as a kid. Good find.

I'd suggest fried rice made in the same pan. You could make a week's worth and add a different meat each morning when packing it for work.

The quick and lazy is chicken ramen and pb&j.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #20 of 42
Another option along the lines of 'Simple' and 'Sandwich' is to buy a cheapo sandwich press. Then, you can really have fun tossing all kind of things between two pieces of bread because the press will toast the bread, cook everything inside it, and seal the sandwich from all around so nothing can get out until you get where you are going and ready to eat. The sandwich presses can be found very cheap around this time of year when college supplies sales kick in and you should be able to find a good one for a low price in just about any supermarket that you have locally (Walmart for sure).

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #22 of 42
I can't cook either, and I had to survive 6 months on international exchange. It helped that I was in France, so baguettes were cheap, easily available, and delicious.

Having said that, definitely try to do sandwiches. Regular bread is decent, but baguettes are much more versatile--you can eat them plain, with butter, make bruschetta at home (you know, chopped tomatoes and basil and olive oil), even reuse them as salad croutons when they dry out!
Since you want to stay full and healthy, look for wholemeal variants of whatever bread you're eating. Keeps you full longer, and they're full of fibre.

At home, you'll want pasta. Heaps of it. I used to find the supermarket's house brand pasta for 1 euro--for a whole 1KG of it. As long as you're not picky, pasta is ridiculously easy to cook: just boil water with salt, and throw the pasta in (cooking time varies based on pasta; look for instructions on packaging).

To work with both bread and pasta, I always kept these things in stock:
1. Extra virgin olive oil. You can't cook with it because it heats up too fast, but you can use it as a dip for bread, seasoning for salad, and mix with pasta after cooking. Just buy the largest bottle of whatever brand, it'll last for ages.
2. Basil. Buy it dried and chopped, in one of those prepacked seasoning bottles. This way you can save time and just sprinkle it onto anything. It won't be as flavourful as fresh basil of course, but it keeps much longer.
3. Tomatoes. Come on, these things taste great and work as salad, sandwich filling, or pasta garnishing.
4. Lettuce. Just buy a head and chuck it in the fridge, it'll be handy for salads and sandwiches.
5. Salt and pepper. Salt is especially important for a) raising the boiling temperature of water when cooking pasta, and b) bringing out the flavour for food in general. Whether you're cooking or buying food back, if it tastes a bit bland, try seasoning with a pinch of salt and see what a difference it makes! Also, if you're making salad with tomato, sprinkling some salt on the cut tomatoes will bring out the juices more--gotta love osmosis eh?
6. Milk. Not a complete necessity, but I assume you're going to want coffee at home? Gotta have milk for that. And with cereal. And with some soups, even.

Non-lunch tip:
Buy a Moka pot for coffee. Easy to use, maintain, and brews up to like, 4 cups' worth at a time--depending on the size of the pot you buy.

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #23 of 42
Forgot to add:
Skip the Heinz sandwich spread, make your own!
If there's one thing I noticed about the French (esp in places like Lyon), it's that they combine mustard and mayonnaise to make excellent sandwich spreads and/or salad dressing. Seriously. And keeping those 2 condiments around can't hurt anyway--they work great alone in lots of dishes.

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #24 of 42
Get a rice cooker. If you spring for one of the fuzzy logic ones, you'll get perfect rice every time with almost no effort. Mix up the styles - try all the varieties.

I like to cook a few veggies to go with, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peas, onions, etc. Get what you like. Depending on the cooker, you can chop them up and put them right in with the rice.

Add a piece of fruit or two, and you'll have a great meal without much effort. If you want some bulk, eat nuts with it.

Jul 19, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #27 of 42
Buy something titled like "recipes for the starving student", I'm quite sure your local bookstore has something like it, these books usually have sets of easy and cheap recipes which are often very good (but not chef level).

Cooking (unless you want to reach chef level) is rather not complicated, it's the simple matter of knowing how ingredients taste raw and cooked, and anticipating how they taste when combined with each other.

To acquire this knowledge, star with basic recipes with few ingredients and simple combinations, pasta, simple meats (try recipes where you have to sauteed so you don have to buy expansive prime cuts). Consider buying a good skillet/frying pan, a pot, a chef's knife and a basic set of spices and herbs (basil, thyme, oregano, cinnamon, coriander, curry spices, pepper, chili... ), you can see it as a useless investment but your taste buds will thank you, and you don't usually uses them fast enough to make a real dent on your budget. Learn how they individually taste and they impact on global taste.

You should also learn how food cooks, you see how you can order you meat rare, medium or well done in restaurants, well vegetables, mushrooms and all food behave like that, they have optimal cooking stages and produces different results, for example,onions are somewhat aggressive to the palate raw, yet after browning them for some time, they become brown (of course) and very sweet which is the basic requirement for an onion soup. Let's also talk about bacon and adding them to pasta, when would you add them, whether you separately cook them for a little while on a skillet so that the fat melt and the bacon brown or you put them into boiling water gives a very different result, I much prefer the former. So when making basic recipes, introduce minute variations and see the result (when you are alone or with someone who doesn't mind you experimenting).

After some time (a little over 3 months maybe), you should get consistent results and improvising will probably result in success most of the time. If you are staying with your parents for some time over the summer holiday, when they they prepare a meal, ask to participate, ask questions like why are you doing this in this order? why are you cutting this this way? how do you know it's hot enough? and so on. If anything bonding with your parents before going away will make good memories for your parents and you.

These days, even of the most interesting ingredient in my fridge is eggplant, I can make a good meal out of it, nothing special mind you, but with some olive oil, some thyme, basil and a frying pan, eggplant and bread is way more delicious than it has any right to be :cool: It also improves quite a bit with some goat cheese :D

Last thing, onions, garlic, tomatoes, sour cream, eggs are basically ingredients you can use anywhere, they are always handy in your kitchen, and you can get them cheap.

Final thing :p, once you get used to ingredients and cooking, the best thing is that you can start following complex recipes and get the expected result in the end, that *will* impress you girlfriend or boyfriend when you decide cooking a somewhat elaborate meal for them.

Jul 20, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #28 of 42
Yes, get cookbooks at used bookstores!

I have a small collection of old cookbooks. Ones from the 1930s-1960s are particularly interesting. No, they're not horribly involved. You'll find many gems with straightforward recipes with a handful of ingredients. Most emphasize cooking from scratch, which is a little more involved, but you get better results and healthier meals.

One favorite is "To the King's Taste," by Lorna Sass. She stumbled across a number of medieval recipes for, well, feasts for kings. They weren't terribly well adapted for modern measurements and precise cooking heat, so she cooked, experimented and adapted them for today. If you want to eat like a king, find a copy. :)

Another book I love to pieces is the 1947 edition of Esquire's "Handbook for Hosts." In addition to recipes, it has a bunch of old-school cocktails and punches. I usually choose punches from it for family parties - I have a 100% hit rate with those. There are also party games and much else in there. A terrific look back at things 60 years ago, I cannot recommend it enough.

You'll find a lot of other treasures out there, too. Look for the old books in the case. Recipes from the past are loads of fun.

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #29 of 42
I wouldn't go for old recipes, ingredients have to be adapted, the same for methods, until you get familiar with the basics of cooking, simple recipes are best.

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #30 of 42
Excellent ideas!
I will try the pizza bread this week.
The idea about getting a sandwich press is also great, since I can then make what they call "paninis" that often go for $7.

Pasta sounds delicious too. I have some regular oo, but not evoo. I'll look up some recipes for that. I certainly agree with the advice to keep a head of lettuce, and some general spices to add flavor. I never knew that salt raises the boiling temperature. But now I remember, salt decreases the freezing point, and increases the boiling temperature at the same time!

Its funny that I already own a rice cooker, and use it way too frequently. I'd like to try something else.
biggrin.gif

Regarding the cookbooks, that is an excellent idea! Does anyone have any specific recommendations, before I randomly buy a book at the store? I already saved $9 by making lunch at home, so I can afford to use that saved money to buy a cookbook.

I certainly agree that the medieval cookbook isn't best for me at this time. Perhaps later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back