Teach me how to make lunch!
Jul 16, 2011 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

blackbird

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently doing research at a local university, and of course that means I need to each lunch.
But lunch is so expensive. It costs AT LEAST $6-7 for a basic sandwich. It gets very costly, and I don't get paid, so I am using my parent's money. A penny saved is a penny less I use from my parents.

I heard that it is cheaper to make lunch at home, and then bring it with me, but here's the problem.
I CAN'T COOK!!! Never had, so I need to learn.

What I always feared about lunch at home is that I'll have to eat the same thing for an entire week.
For example, if I buy a pound of turkey, that means I'll have to eat turkey sandwiches everyday. I don't like that.

Additionally, I don't want to each sandwiches everyday, but I don't know how to make much of anything else.

So I'd like some suggestions as to some simple, cheap, and easy to make lunches for a beginner like me.
Of course, it'll be nice if they are delicious, but that is a secondary factor.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 42
Ramen.  Done.

What, you didn't say anything about healthy...
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 42
beginners lunch

bread + pre cut deli meat + some mayo, mustard , etc
ziplock bag of chips on the side (buy a big bag and a clip and some ziplocks)
fruit(apple, orange)
and carrot stick

done

alternatively make a wrap (flour tortilla, salad dressing, lettuce, meat of some sort)

Jul 16, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 42
Cooking is very easy - I just learned it when I was ~10, when I was home alone and the only thing available is frozen food. 
 Start off with frying hotdogs, then eggs, and then start making more complex dishes. There are lots of websites available to guide you. Also, if you want a really simple but good dish - try baked potatoes! :)

About lunch, fried rice with chopped ham and garlic is very tasty. 
Teaspoon of oil > add chopped garlic > once garlic is slightly brown, add rice > continuously stir > add seasonings > add chopped ham.

If you want something easier, there is nothing easier than a sandwich. Smoked ham and turkey breast with mustard, lettuce and olives is my personal favorite :)

Jul 16, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 42
Cup noodles are cheap. Put some crackers and you're good to go. But they are light so you get hungry quickly. Fruits are good snacks, banana and apples.

If you have a toaster oven, you can easily broil pork ribs or steak. I buy pork ribs, cut it to fit the toaster oven pan, pour some soy sauce all over the ribs, preheat the toaster oven at 350 degrees for 5 minutes, put the ribs in, set the timer for 20 minutes. Then flip it, set the timer again to 20 minutes. Then have some bbque sauce and bread.

Jul 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 42
Great suggestions so far!

I forgot to mention that I like my food as healthy as possible, even at the expense of flavor. So no cup noodles.
wink.gif

Also, I need to be able to bring it with me to the University, so again, no cup noodles.

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 42
Hardboiled eggs are good too. Buy a dozen, boil them the night before, let them cool down first then store them in the fridge. Then bring two or three to school. Cheese is good snack too. Cut them then store them in a ziplock. Peanut butter jelly is good too, bring a jar and some slice bread. These variety of snacks will keep you fed and save you some money too.

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #11 of 42

Quote:
Great suggestions so far!

I forgot to mention that I like my food as healthy as possible, even at the expense of flavor. So no cup noodles.
wink.gif

Also, I need to be able to bring it with me to the University, so again, no cup noodles.

No cup noodles then, but you can buy some noodle packets, frozen chop suey veggie packets, and a bottle of soy sauce and make a mean stir-fry noodles that tastes good hot or cold, and the best part is, the ingredients keep so whatever you don't use one day, should still be good to go for the next time you're hungry! Also, since everything is usually pre-packaged and requires little individual preparation, the entire meal can be put together in 15 minutes.

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 42
When I feel really lazy lunch is 2 slices of bread, 2 100g cans of tuna or sardines, and some fruit - stuff I always have at home.

I eat the tuna out of the can using a spoon and take a bite of the bread, repeat etc. Quick and easy and relatively healthy.   

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 42
I like the suggestion for salads. Haven't thought about that. Though, I don't know what I would add. Lettuce, tomatoes, pickles. Maybe some meat. What else?

PB&J for snacks is a great idea too.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 42
Another quick and simple lunch:

1 French Baguette Bread
Basil Leaves
Tomatoes
Spices to flavor as per palate
Olive Oil
Cheese - Mozzarella or Provolone is going to work best for this
Marinara Sauce Bottle

Cut the baguette into portions that you can handle in terms of size. Once portioned, cut each section not used in half, length-wise. Toss the halved portions into an oven at about 350-400 F for about 5 minutes or so (just long enough to feel it starting to toast up on the outside). Pull out the bread, and lay down marinara sauce, cheese, tomatoes and basil as you see fit (you can certainly use other toppings -this combo just happens to be my favorite). Keep in the oven until the cheese is visible melting. Pull out, drizzle a pinch of olive oil and spices to taste, and voila!: French Bread Pizzas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back