Teach me how to make lunch!
Jul 24, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #32 of 42
Choosing a cook book?

It boils down to matching the level of instruction you need, the level of expertise the recipes need, the type of cooking you enjoy, the price level of the ingredients in the books and those you can buy, etc....
For a 1st cook book, you have you ask yourself of you play to make on a regular basis more than 10/15 of the recipes inside, if you plan on trying at least 30 of them, if you do, it's a go. Also try to get a book with a lot of general advice.

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #33 of 42
Ah, I had already made the pizza baguette. That worked very well. Thanks for the tastiness.
I also expanded the idea by making a traditional sandwich. Baguette + marinara + cheese + spinach + fresh tomato. Worked very well. Tried it with a wrap as well, and loved it.

Now I want to try pasta, but I don't know what to put in it. Any suggestions?

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #34 of 42
The guy who said pasta was spot on, it's not only very easy, very filling and pretty cheap - learning to make a good sauce will teach you some good fundamentals of cookery.

If you're on your own, a tin of tomatoes will always be too much for one meal - so it's perfect for having dinner and enough to put into a tupperware for lunch the next day. Great cold or microwaved.

Forget buying jars of sauce it's a total rip off. 

Drain the juices out of a tin of plum tomatoes, then hold it over the sink, stick a knife in it and move it back and forth really rapidly to make the base. The tomatoes themselves have so much juice in it'll still be very liquid when you chop them up even if you drained every bit of the juices in the tin you could, if you don't drain them it'll be way too liquid. Just add some tomato puree and that's basically a tomato sauce. Add herbs if you like, a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar and that's the base of a sauce, just takes time to simmer together.

There are so many variations on a sauce you can do anything you want. If you want a really easy but really nice recipe try this:

Chop half an onion or a couple of shallots and fry them in oil, if you have a jar of anchovies in olive oil - use some of that oil as it really makes the dish.

Chop up anything between 2 and 6 anchovies very fine and add them to the onions when they are bleeding.

Add a tin of tuna, drained. Use the type in oil preferably.

Follow the basic guidelines for the sauce - pour in the drained and chopped up plum tomatoes, add a squirt of puree, salt, sugar. Now add a splash of balsamic vinegar if you have it and a generous amount of dried oregano, and a teaspoon or too of chopped capers.

EDIT - you may not need salt as anchovies are very salty, and make sure you drain the capers of brine or the dish will be too salty. Leave salt to the end to see if it needs it.

You can add different stuff here if you like - I liked to finely chop a tin of smoked mussels and add them but its an expensive luxury.1

Simmer it for at least 15 minutes, then put the pasta on to boil with some salt in the water.

You want the pasta to still have a bit of bite to it - don't cook it until it's totally sloppy and soft. While it's boiling, test the sauce a few times and get the mix of flavours right adding a bit more of the oregano, salt, sugar, balsamic etc if you think it needs it.

When the pasta is done drain it (not too thoroughly as a lot of liquid will have evaporated from the sauce and a little from the pasta will be nice) and put it on top of the sauce and fold/stir it in.

If you have some nice quality olive oil, add a little drizzle raw at the end and stir it through for flavour, and it gives the dish a glimmering shine.

That probably sounds more complicated than it is - but it's just chopping stuff and adding it at different points. There's no precise timings anywhere.

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #35 of 42
There’s lots of advice but I recommend that you try to master the art of minimum ingredients.

I cook a lot and 99% of the time, I only use a few ingredients. So many recipes out there are convoluted with too many unnecessary ingredients. There’s lots of good stuff out there with minimum ingredients. Here’s a couple I like:

-White rice and pan fried eggs. It’s quick and easy. The learning curve is trying to cook rice properly but it’s not hard with some practice. The eggs is easy and idiot proof.

-White rice with some kind of meat. It can be canned tuna with a little bit of mayonnaise or any plain cooked meat. It can even be ham too.

-Spaghetti with butter and a splash of the pasta water. Another easy minimum ingredients dish.

-Boiled broccoli. Just boil for like 4 minutes or until it’s soft enough to your liking. Add butter or olive oil.

-Boiled egg. Just boil it for like 10 minutes and when it cools down add a little bit of mayonnaise. Easy and good.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #36 of 42
Easy steak.

1) Let the pan heat up for about 15 minutes on medium heat.

2) Cook the steak for about 3 minutes per side. Approximately 6 minutes total. Serve with buttered spaghetti noodles. So easy.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #37 of 42
I also recommend that you get a timer. It will improve your accuracy.

If you get a timer and attach it to your refrigerator (they’re usually magnetic) you will be more accurate with the cooking times and make less errors. You can use your timer on your iPhone but it’s better to have a real dedicated timer because it’s easier to remember to use it. I use a timer a lot. I rarely burn or overcook anything.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #38 of 42
Another way to be accurate is to use a digital meat thermometer. I love these. When i cook chicken and thick sausages, it comes out just right without it being over cooked or under cooked. It does make a difference and they usually cost less than $20. It’s especially great for chicken breast because if you over cook it, it gets dry and stringy. So getting within range of the desired temperatures can definitely refine your meat cooking skills.

CD218FC2-7C2A-4ADA-8363-7E12BB79D045.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #39 of 42
-White rice and pan fried eggs. It’s quick and easy. The learning curve is trying to cook rice properly but it’s not hard with some practice. The eggs is easy and idiot proof.

-White rice with some kind of meat. It can be canned tuna with a little bit of mayonnaise or any plain cooked meat. It can even be ham too.

Yum. And rice for lunch gives you energy through the whole day.

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #40 of 42
Easy Boiled potatoes:

Peel potatoes and boil for about 40 minutes or until fork soft.

Add butter or olive oil. So easy.

If you let it cool down, chop it up and add mayonnaise for basic potato salad.

There’s so many simple easy dishes out there. If you can’t cook, it’s probably because you’re not interested

Jan 3, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #41 of 42
Low budget easy mayonnaise toast:

1) Smear some mayonnaise on sliced bread.

2) Cook it on a pan (medium heat). Keep watching to prevent burning. So simple and good!

Heres the process

Mayo on bread before cooking on pan

73E5CB99-8A5E-49E7-BCC7-516865E70F0C.jpeg

After cooked on pan (medium heat)....Super easy, delicious and cheap

D19CB556-53AA-4052-A586-590A28361A84.jpeg

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #42 of 42
I highly recommend making fried baloney sandwiches. Just pan fry baloney slices with oil or butter and put it on toasted bread.

I discovered this sandwich at a bar in Nashville a few years ago and loved it.

If you live outside of the USA and can’t find baloney, you can substitute with mortadella which is like an Italian style baloney.

Fried Baloney sandwich:

F3D15B10-5687-4EDE-84F6-75BFD7268350.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back