TEAC UD-H01 USB DAC
Jun 17, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #31 of 385
I have had my Teac UD-H01 for a couple months and I am pretty pleased with its performance. It replaced a FiiO combo so not that much competition.

However, I am considering a headphone amplifier to bypass the Teac's. Has anyone else done this?

What is likely to be the minimum cost to improve upon the Teac's headphone amplifier section?

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #32 of 385
Squeezebox Touch can probably be connected over async. USB to TEAC UD-H01. Other Linux-implementatinos may follow, hopefully Linux computers soon, too. See here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615791/audio-gd-async-usb-to-squeezebox-touch-up-to-192k-24b-teac-ud-h01-and-other-te8802l-based-dacs-may-work-too

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #33 of 385
I've been looking at the TEAC UD-H01 for a while but I had some misgivings about the build quality.  I presently use a PopPulse PCM1796MKII and I love the sound.  No, it doesn't have balanced outputs, and it is not dual-chip, but it only costs $250 on eBay.  The thing is built like a tank; the power section is in a separate compartment.  Imagine two separate enclosures with a common faceplate.  
I was very close to pulling the trigger on the UD-H01 until I compared the spec sheets for the PCM1795 and PCM1796...very similar with the exception of 32bit vs 24bit.  For the time being I cannot find a better dac for $250.  I recently went to all FLAC lossless music; maybe that's why I fell in love with my dac again....lol.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #34 of 385
What do you guys think of the A-H01?

I am very attracted to the fact that it is a DAC, headphone amp, and can run my small speakers and sub. Considering I can pick one up for $500 it seems like a steal given what it offers. 

I read on the previous page one poster said he was disappointed with the A-H01 due to the single chip burr-brown (as apposed to the dual chip in the ud-h01). Is it a big difference?

As a beginner on a budget this will have everything I need in one compact unit. Unfortunately it's only been out for a few months so I can't find any in-depth reviews. 

Cheers

Jul 22, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #35 of 385
Picked it up 3 days for 149.95 GBP from richer sound. In comparison to my DAC Magic Plus, these do not sound bright but have a smaller soundstage. To me, they have a softer and relaxed sound but have to wait for them to burn-in. For the price that i paid, it is a bargain but too bad the USB input doesn't work on Linux.

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #36 of 385
Quote:
Picked it up 3 days for 149.95 GBP from richer sound. In comparison to my DAC Magic Plus, these do not sound bright but have a smaller soundstage. To me, they have a softer and relaxed sound but have to wait for them to burn-in. For the price that i paid, it is a bargain but too bad the USB input doesn't work on Linux.

Hey did you maybe try the Teac Ud-h01 with DT880's 600 Ohm? If so, how does it sound and does it have enough power for the beyers (at which volume knob position do they get very loud) ?

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #38 of 385
Quote:
 I received the dac yesterday. It works ok, but makes loud clicks when the sampling rate is changed on the PC (I use optical SPDIF). Is this normal? 

It's probably normal if it works fine. How does it sound and which headphones do you use with it?

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #39 of 385
You sound like a very informed person and I would like to ask you a question. If you have no input or do not want to respond I understand. Life can be very busy.
 So, I like to record my own music in my own studio. The trouble is I suck at drums. hold on, it's coming. I bought a program for the computer called EZ Drummer. the trouble is my recording equipment is stand alone, not computer based. I need an external sound card that will allow me to get the constructed drum tracks out of the laptop and into my stand alone digital recorder. Then I would layer in vocals, guitar, bass, etc. If you wouldn't mind I would like two recommendations. One where the quality of the audio is first and foremost yet still $200. or less. The second would be budget friendly but still packs a good quality to price ratio, preferably under $50. I greatly appreciate your input and thank you in advance should you choose to accept this mission.

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #40 of 385
Pretty sure the clicking is normal, it sounds like relay switches... Got one today for £150 from Richer Sounds as well and I'm liking what I'm hearing thus far, bargain!
Quote:
 I received the dac yesterday. It works ok, but makes loud clicks when the sampling rate is changed on the PC (I use optical SPDIF). Is this normal? 

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #42 of 385
Welcome to head-fi! You're probably best starting a separate thread with a title something like 'Audio Interface for Recording my Band' in the "Computer Audio" sub-forum, you'll probably find a lot more help there.

In the meantime, it might be worth checking out Motu's website.
Quote:
You sound like a very informed person and I would like to ask you a question. If you have no input or do not want to respond I understand. Life can be very busy.
 So, I like to record my own music in my own studio. The trouble is I suck at drums. hold on, it's coming. I bought a program for the computer called EZ Drummer. the trouble is my recording equipment is stand alone, not computer based. I need an external sound card that will allow me to get the constructed drum tracks out of the laptop and into my stand alone digital recorder. Then I would layer in vocals, guitar, bass, etc. If you wouldn't mind I would like two recommendations. One where the quality of the audio is first and foremost yet still $200. or less. The second would be budget friendly but still packs a good quality to price ratio, preferably under $50. I greatly appreciate your input and thank you in advance should you choose to accept this mission.

Aug 1, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #43 of 385
When I bought mine earlier, I demoed a unit in the shop which clicked and the unit I took home also clicks in the same fashion when changing sample rate.
From Hifi Choice
'You need to install TEAC’s drivers on your computer to use highsampling rates via USB and not all applications seem to notice them – iTunes would only play at 44kHz. Some playback applications seemed to cause a momentary dropout at the start of a track, when you can hear the DAC’s muting relays cut out and in again.'

So I think we should be ok :)
Quote:

Yes, seems like it is not normal. I have been using them with new HD650 only for a few hours. 
So it is hard to say at this point, I need more time! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back