TEAC UD-301
May 30, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #62 of 283
I work at a company that supplies Teac products and I can get this for around $330 CA, think that and the feedback in this thread has me sold! 

Edit, going to pair the UD-301 with the Audeze EL-8 or possibly the Nighthawk...

May 30, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #63 of 283
  I work at a company that supplies Teac products and I can get this for around $330 CA, think that and the feedback in this thread has me sold! 

Edit, going to pair the UD-301 with the Audeze EL-8 or possibly the Nighthawk...

I love the pairing between UD-301 and EL8-open.

May 30, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #64 of 283
UD-301 works perfectly with my Samsung Note 4 + USB Audio Player PRO and a OTG cable. DSD64 files in DSF format can be streamed to UD-301 with 'DSD over PCM' enabled in USB Audio Player PRO. My understanding is USB Audio Player PRO works the best with XMOS USB receivers. Native DSD playback can be achieved even without DoP option. UD-301 does not use XMOS chip, but fortunately there is a workaround.
USB Audio Player PRO can play music files from Windows share folders. I am playing my SACD collection stored on a WD My Book Live right now, and very happy about the convenience, as well as the fact that Note 4 is dead quiet comparing to my Macbook Pro. For $9, I highly recommend USB Audio Player PRO - worth every penny. The only thing on my wishlist is to support SACD ISO in future versions.

May 30, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #65 of 283
I just got the teac ud 301, I don't see any line in inputs. I only see digital input with no rca, does this mean that I cannot hook this up to a cd player or vinyl player? I wanted to purchase a sacd player and hook it up to the teac ud 301 as a dac. sorry for the noob question 

thanks haha
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #66 of 283
  I just got the teac ud 301, I don't see any line in inputs. I only see digital input with no rca, does this mean that I cannot hook this up to a cd player or vinyl player? I wanted to purchase a sacd player and hook it up to the teac ud 301 as a dac. sorry for the noob question 

thanks haha
smily_headphones1.gif

1. Full metal housing
  2. 1×USB input (USB B type)
  3. 1×coaxial digital input
  4. 1×optical digital input
  5. 1×XLR balanced output (Fixed/Adjustable/Off)
  6. 1×RCA balanced output (Fixed/Adjustable/Off)
  7. Headphone output (standard stereo jack)

It has three inputs, all digital. You could connect an SACD player with optical or COAX outputs. Or anything else with digital outputs such as this will work.

I don' remember many, if any DACs that have a PHONO level analog input. "vinyl" players with Moving Coil or Moving Magnet cartridges need the extra stage of gain to get them to "line level". Some may be out there, but I imagine that they would be labeled as DAC/PREAMPS if there are any. In any case, the UD 301 doesn't do this.

May 31, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #67 of 283
thanks for the help. gotcha makes sense now!! Is optical or coax better than rca interconnects? or they all proven to work the same without any audible differences? 

smily_headphones1.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

May 31, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #68 of 283
I just got the UD-301- it replaces the Audioengine D1. It is feeding my Bottlehead Crack tube amp and HD-600 headphones. I have it hooked up through both USB and optical- mainly listening through optical connection (downloaded some DSD files and listened to them through USB). Most of my music is lossless (FLAC) with some 96/24 downloads from HDTracks. I have had it for a few day now and can safely say it is better than the D1. The clarity of the music is better and the soundstage is wider and now I have depth to the music. Details are much better. The music is just tighter with more strength, likely due to the much better power supply. I don't think I will be upgrading for awhile. Pretty good for $299!

May 31, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #69 of 283
  thanks for the help. gotcha makes sense now!! Is optical or coax better than rca interconnects? or they all proven to work the same without any audible differences? 

smily_headphones1.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

In the case of an optical disk player it is at least one less digital to analog conversion. Less possibility of noise being introduced in the chain. I would say that these connections are better. Of course (obviously?) you need a device that has these outputs on the source end... to use them with the UD-301!

I picked up a device with a phono preamp in it that has a USB output to start digitizing my vinyl collection. If you had something like this you could play vinyl through the UD-301. You can get "USB" turntables... meant for the same thing.. digitizing audio for vinyl. The may not be the best turntables made, but I would think they would work if you want to play vinyl disks through the UD-301.

May 31, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #70 of 283
Just pulled the trigger on the UD-301. I just busted my Emu 0404 so I needed a new one and have been looking at this for a while now. I wanted a balanced dac to go with my soon to be Cavalli Liquid Carbon. The added bonus of DSD just sold me.

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #71 of 283
Great choice! I think more than a few Liquid Carbon pre orders will go with the UD-301. Get some good XLR cables to connect the two.

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #72 of 283
Thinking of making my own cables. Getting in some silver coated ooc wire from China and thinking of using that for them. I have some mogami mic cables that will due in the meantime. Will be getting the Teac Wednesday and can't wait. The wait for the Cavalli is killing me. My HIFIMan EF2A is ok but want something better.

Jun 18, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #73 of 283
I have a question,

my setup is  PC>USB>UD-301>XLR>B2030A monitor,Adjustable.

when UD-301 is power off(blue led is off,but power plug is in wall outlet) ,my R monitor have Noise,L monitor is low Noise.

i don't know why. is normal?

Thanks.

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #74 of 283
  I have a question,

my setup is  PC>USB>UD-301>XLR>B2030A monitor,Adjustable.

when UD-301 is power off(blue led is off,but power plug is in wall outlet) ,my R monitor have Noise,L monitor is low Noise.

i don't know why. is normal?

Thanks.

Yes it is. You have a ground on your UD-301 and XLR pins. I'm guessing that your monitors do not. Weird things happen when different manufacturers do different things with that ground pin and then you connect them via common cables. There are ground noise eliminators for XLR connections, but they are sort of expensive (>$100). You can check them out at Adorama or BH Photo. One thing I wouldn't do is buy more expensive cables since it's not likely to be the source of the noise unless you also hear AM radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back