TEAC UD-301
Jun 28, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #77 of 283
Wondering what do you guys think about the pairing with the ud 301 and the HD 800, I own both and think that the DAC on the ud 301 tames the highs on the hd800 and makes it less fatiguing. Making the overall experience less clincial and making easier to listen to. Anyways for the part of the amp I feel like an other amp is necessary to make the hd800 shine. Considering the cavalli liquid carbon, hopefully the fully the balanced set up and the amp itself will make the hd800 shine. What do you guys think?

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #78 of 283
Wondering what do you guys think about the pairing with the ud 301 and the HD 800, I own both and think that the DAC on the ud 301 tames the highs on the hd800 and makes it less fatiguing. Making the overall experience less clincial and making easier to listen to. Anyways for the part of the amp I feel like an other amp is necessary to make the hd800 shine. Considering the cavalli liquid carbon, hopefully the fully the balanced set up and the amp itself will make the hd800 shine. What do you guys think?

The UD-301 is a really great DAC, I have it paired with a BH Crack for driving the HD-800 and its great.  I think the liquid carbon should work but since they have not shipped its hard to tell.

Jun 29, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #79 of 283
Just got mine a few days ago, and so far is a nice upgrade from an un-named $149 DAC... Not really fair to compare, but at $299 after mail in rebate, I think the TEAC is quite the bargain.

It sounds smoother, without losing detail or sounding muddy or congested. I'm very pleased.

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #80 of 283
The UD-301 would get better reviews if it were priced at $1,500.
wink_face.gif

Jun 29, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #81 of 283
Probably not because of the new Head-FI buzz that everything delta-sigma sucks. Flavor of the month gone way too far.

The UD-301 would get better reviews if it were priced at $1,500.:wink_face:

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #82 of 283
I am deciding between the liquid carbon cavalli amp or the bottlehead crack with all the upgrades. What do you guys think balanced able amp or otl tube amp. I was thinking to go balanced one day but not sure if it worth all that money cables and etc.

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #83 of 283
I am deciding between the liquid carbon cavalli amp or the bottlehead crack with all the upgrades. What do you guys think balanced able amp or otl tube amp. I was thinking to go balanced one day but not sure if it worth all that money cables and etc.

Depends on what headphones you have, if HD-600/650/800 or T-1/DT-990/880/etc then the BH Crack.  If you have planars like Hifiman or Audeze then the Liquid Carbon would be the better choice.

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #84 of 283
Depends on what headphones you have, if HD-600/650/800 or T-1/DT-990/880/etc then the BH Crack.  If you have planars like Hifiman or Audeze then the Liquid Carbon would be the better choice.

I have the HD 800, I am curious if the balance would make a difference since headphone, interconnect cables have such a short distance, from what I know balanced system is useful for systems with long running cables.

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #85 of 283
I have the HD 800, I am curious if the balance would make a difference since headphone, interconnect cables have such a short distance, from what I know balanced system is useful for systems with long running cables.

The only balanced headphones that I have heard are my friends system in Japan and this was over a year ago but when he switched the HD-800, HD-650, T-1, LCD-X, LCD-2f and HE-560 between balanced and SE there didn't seem to be any difference to me so I've never looked into running balanced.  I can't remember the amps that were used but knowing him they were probably TOTL stuff.  He has the UD-301 and UD-501 by the way and told me that he didn't feel the extra cost for the filter on the UD-501 were justified.

Best way is to try for your self balanced and SE and if you can hear a difference then which ever sounds better to you that is the way you should go.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #86 of 283
Uhm, have anyone listened to both ud301 and onkyo dac1000s before? how big is the different In the sound signature given that they both use pcm1795 

And is the ud301 sound similar to teac ha-p90? because I think the ha-p90 sounds too analytical,dry for my taste

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #87 of 283
I couldn't resist it, Bottlehead is having a crazy sale. When you buy the Bottlehead Crack OTL you get the speed ball upgrade for only $20 bucks. So the total was $299 with the speedball upgrade. Plus shipping it was like $344, cause I live in Canada, which sucks cause the exchange rate is high now. Still a steal though!!!! Ended up jumping on that sale because there are crazy modifications you can do with the crack since it DIY. So I guess I stick with se output for now and try out balance later. 

Jul 18, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #88 of 283
Subscribed for more reviews

Has anybody compared these with ifi micro idsd (just dac section)?

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #89 of 283
I will throw in a review soon, I am just waiting on the new Cavalli Liquid Carbon amp. For what the UD 301 has it is a heck of a deal. Considering it has DSD and balanced output etc.. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #90 of 283
I picked one up as well. The bang for the buck factor is very high, especially with the $100 rebate (which I actually got about a week ago). I too got it to use with the LC. I also got an Emotiva DC1 at about the same time. I have listened to them both with my Polaris amp, but not for a great deal of time. I also just got a Gustard H10 and (finally) the Geek Pulse Infinity. So much to play with and not much time to do it...

Once I actually get to listen to the Teac a bit more, I will post my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back