TEAC UD-301
Apr 15, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #31 of 283

I'm guessing the Wryd makes a bigger difference for DACs that also get power from the USB which the UD-301 does not.

I think the 301 uses the same USB board as the 501 and I know that there was some questions a while back about the 501s USB being powered by the 5v on the USB as opposed to having its own power supply. Not sure if this was ever resolved though.
Thanks for the honest answer though. Much appreciated...

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #32 of 283
  I think the 301 uses the same USB board as the 501 and I know that there was some questions a while back about the 501s USB being powered by the 5v on the USB as opposed to having its own power supply. Not sure if this was ever resolved though.
Thanks for the honest answer though. Much appreciated...

Now you have my curiosity going! I think there is a practical way of answering the USB question. I am going to try to hook up my iPhone to the UD-301 later tonight via CCK cable. If it works, then we know the USB is not drawing any power. If I get the "too much power" error message, then yes, UD-301 draws power from USB. Will report back.

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #33 of 283

Now you have my curiosity going! I think there is a practical way of answering the USB question. I am going to try to hook up my iPhone to the UD-301 later tonight via CCK cable. If it works, then we know the USB is not drawing any power. If I get the "too much power" error message, then yes, UD-301 draws power from USB. Will report back.

Excellent. I look forward to your report. I briefly had the 501 and know this was a debate going on at the time, but I ended up sending the 501 back due to a defect and never followed up on the conclusion...

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #34 of 283
Well the mystery is solved. I plugged my iPhone in and I got the "too much power" error so this means the USB circuitry in the UD-301 draws more than 100ma from the USB port. It does make one wonder why the coax and optical input circuitry gets power from the internal power supply but not the USB. I suppose I did the right thing to get the Wyrd then LOL.

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #35 of 283
Ah good to know. I guess I'll be picking one up as well.
Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #36 of 283
  Ah good to know. I guess I'll be picking one up as well.
Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Or I could have just looked at my Mac system report where it clearly states "300 mA power requirement" for the Teac USB. LOL, trying to get my iPhone to work was more fun.

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #37 of 283
What's the reasonable price for a 301? On ebay, it's around $400USD shipped to Canada. TEAC is offering a rebate to American buyers, so it can be bought from Amazon at $300. Unfortunately, the rebate program does not cover Canadians (I asked). So I just ordered one directly from Japan for ~$250USD (yesterday's exchange rate). I'm using Tenso's forwarding service, and am waiting for a shipping quote from them. I'm wondering how much other head-fiers are paying for this baby...

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #38 of 283
What's the reasonable price for a 301? On ebay, it's around $400USD shipped to Canada. TEAC is offering a rebate to American buyers, so it can be bought from Amazon at $300. Unfortunately, the rebate program does not cover Canadians (I asked). So I just ordered one directly from Japan for ~$250USD (yesterday's exchange rate). I'm using Tenso's forwarding service, and am waiting for a shipping quote from them. I'm wondering how much other head-fiers are paying for this baby...

go to headphonebar.com. they are out of vancouver. No pst if out of province. Cdn dollars. Free shipping.$549.00 Cdn. No duty, taxes or shipping. 5% gst onlyand full cdn warranty.

Great deal if you want a 301. Me, I would spend more and get a much better dac. In fact I just did.

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #39 of 283
go to headphonebar.com. they are out of vancouver. No pst if out of province. Cdn dollars. Free shipping.

Great deal if you want a 301. Me, I would spend more and get a much bettr dac. In fact I just did.

Thanks. I had a look, they do have it on 'sale', for $550CAD. I'm glad I didn't have to cancel my order from Japan :)
'Spending more' is something I've been trying not to do... maybe I should stay away from this site.

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #40 of 283
Thanks. I had a look, they do have it on 'sale', for $550CAD. I'm glad I didn't have to cancel my order from Japan :)
'Spending more' is something I've been trying not to do... maybe I should stay away from this site.

Duty might be high, and no warranty?

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #42 of 283
There is no duty, only GST - this part I know of. Good point on warranty. I haven't thought about it... I guess I can send it back? :wink: 
I have expetrienced the no duty before. Then they send you a bill.
Maybe you get lucky!

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #43 of 283
Anyways,
My point is always look Canadian If you are one.
Believe it or not, you can get great audio products for the same $$ cdn as to us $$.
Some products (high end)have the same list price in Canada as the U.S.
Canada is a good place to buy ATM.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #44 of 283
I have expetrienced the no duty before. Then they send you a bill.
Maybe you get lucky!

There is indeed no duty on electronics and computer products. Information is clearly posted on Canada custom's web site. Be careful where the bill was from. Companies like UPS and FedEx charges unreasonable brokerage fee, which is not duty. That's why I never ever use their service. Canada Post's service fee is ~$8, and I find they usually let go if the value of goods is low (<$200).

Anyways,
My point is always look Canadian If you are one.
Believe it or not, you can get great audio products for the same $$ cdn as to us $$.
Some products (high end)have the same list price in Canada as the U.S.
Canada is a good place to buy ATM.

I get your point and admire your patriotism. I guess people love their country in different ways :wink: High end I don't know much about (doubt I'll ever become a customer), but I do know Canadian pay quite a premium for consumer products due to its limited market. 

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #45 of 283
There is indeed no duty on electronics and computer products. Information is clearly posted on Canada custom's web site. Be careful where the bill was from. Companies like UPS and FedEx charges unreasonable brokerage fee, which is not duty. That's why I never ever use their service. Canada Post's service fee is ~$8, and I find they usually let go if the value of goods is low (<$200).

I get your point and admire your patriotism. I guess people love their country in different ways :wink: High end I don't know much about (doubt I'll ever become a customer), but I do know Canadian pay quite a premium for consumer products due to its limited market. 

Thank you,
I'm red and white to the core!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back