TEAC UD-301
Dec 19, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #16 of 283
  hey guys do you think this is a good upgrade from the teac ud-h01?
I think I'll use with a g103p as headphones amplifier for a pair of fidelio x1 and a tpa 3116 for a pair of tesi 260.
can you help me about this choice?

thanks

I use to have the UD-H01, which was an okay unit.    This is a huge upgrade, in sound, in functionality (dsd) and build quality.  Like I posted earlier, I sold my $6K Luxman DAC because of this TEAC . . .    

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #18 of 283
Had the UD-H01.
Gave me 6 months of BSOD until I got rid of it.
Would wake the dead with clicks/pops when cycling thru sample rates.
Any of the same issues on the UD-301?

*Win 8.1Pro (x64) + foobar2000

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #19 of 283
Just ordered a UD-301, should be here in a few days, wanted to try some DSD so had to find a DAC that did DSD.  Will be back in a few weeks to post some comments, going on a golf trip to the big island, got great deal on hotel / car / air fair / green fees, going with GF and two of her girl friends (not the best golfers but they are cute as hell).

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #22 of 283
Just got my 301 yesterday and so far very pleased with the sound in my setup. I have to wait a couple weeks for my balanced cables to arrive but SE sound is comparable to my AK240 using the same RX amp. This thing is a lot deeper in dimension that I expected and has some nice heft to it. Can't beat the $300 price with rebate! Couple things I noticed:
  1. There is no software volume control connected to a Mac OSX
  2. Volume nob is plastic, but don't plan to use the headphone amp anyway line out is fixed
  3. Nice blue LEDs. Only wish my Schiit Wyrd used blue instead of really bright white

Will report back when I get full BO setup but this is really impressive so far.

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #23 of 283
I've had mine for 3 weeks and loving ever minute of it.  I've stop using my Bifrost since the UD-301 to my ears gives my music more life / dynamic range.  Also, the headphone amp is pretty good, like it with EL8 and Grado RS2e.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #24 of 283
Well call me a DSD noob, but when playing DSD, any other sound from the Mac like putting files in the trash causes an abrupt pause in the DSD playback. I thought there was something wrong with the DAC, but I suppose that makes sense because system sound is PCM.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #25 of 283
I just picked one of these up tonight.
I had the 501 a few months ago and really liked it, but I had to send it back because it had a defect. 
How does the 301 stack up against the 501? I see it has the same components, but lacks the filter settings of the 501.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #26 of 283
  Well call me a DSD noob, but when playing DSD, any other sound from the Mac like putting files in the trash causes an abrupt pause in the DSD playback. I thought there was something wrong with the DAC, but I suppose that makes sense because system sound is PCM.

I'm listening to some 2.8MHz DSD files using the Teac HR Audio Player and have no playback issues when dragging items to or emptying the trash.
I'm on a Mid 2011 Mac Mini (2.5GHz i5 with 4GB RAM) running OS X 10.10.2. The Teac HR Audio Player is version 1.0.0.4

What's your setup like?

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #27 of 283

I'm listening to some 2.8MHz DSD files using the Teac HR Audio Player and have no playback issues when dragging items to or emptying the trash.
I'm on a Mid 2011 Mac Mini (2.5GHz i5 with 4GB RAM) running OS X 10.10.2. The Teac HR Audio Player is version 1.0.0.4

What's your setup like?

Mac Pro 6,1. What I mean is that I don't hear both the DSD playing and the system sounds simultaneously. When a system sound plays, for the moment that is all I can hear. After the second or so the DSD file playback resumes. When I play any PCM files, I hear both music track and system sounds simultaneously.

Forgot to mention that I have the internal sound devices disabled so maybe that has something to do with it. Even so, not even a minor issue of for me as I don't expect to have any decent library of DSD any time soon. I wanted DSD in case it comes back to life as a leading format of online hi res audio format. Although I do have a really old PS3 that I could mod to rip SACDs.

Apr 14, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #28 of 283
I received this dac yesterday and have to say that I really like it. It sounds very neutral and clean.
I have it connected to a Decware CSP3 with stock tubes, stock power cord, and silver "My Cables" interconnects.
Running my HE-400i out of the dacs headphone amplifier sounds really good. The headphone amp in the 301 sounds clean and full with the 400i. the 301 has plenty of power for efficient cans . 12 to 1 o'clock on the volume dial puts the 400i in a good listening position.
Running the 301 into the CSP3 with the HD800 is great. The dac doesn't seem to color the music at all. It's just an honest, neutral dac. The sound is crystal clear and tight. however it seems to lack the weight and body of it's big brother the 501, but that could be(I'm certain it is) due to the filter modes of the 501. 
Once ASIO is set up correctly in f2k the 301 works flawlessly from 44.1 to 192 to DSD
I will give this dac some proper burn in time before I make a final decision if it's to remain in the chain or not, but so far it sounds like a great dac.
Also as a side note and I know the cable camp is split, but I do have 2 pangea 14SE MKii power cables coming in(one for the dac and one for the CSP3) along with a pangea USB-PC cable and an Audioquest evergreen interconnect. So I will report back if there is any noticeable difference. The evergreen being the cable I'm most interested in as I don't care for silver cables...

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #29 of 283
  Just got my 301 yesterday and so far very pleased with the sound in my setup. I have to wait a couple weeks for my balanced cables to arrive but SE sound is comparable to my AK240 using the same RX amp. This thing is a lot deeper in dimension that I expected and has some nice heft to it. Can't beat the $300 price with rebate! Couple things I noticed:
  1. There is no software volume control connected to a Mac OSX
  2. Volume nob is plastic, but don't plan to use the headphone amp anyway line out is fixed
  3. Nice blue LEDs. Only wish my Schiit Wyrd used blue instead of really bright white

Will report back when I get full BO setup but this is really impressive so far.

Have you tried this dac with and without the wyrd?
Wondering if you notice any discernible difference with it?
I'm thinking of picking one up... 

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #30 of 283
  Have you tried this dac with and without the wyrd?
Wondering if you notice any discernible difference with it?
I'm thinking of picking one up... 

No difference in sound for me. I got it for practical reasons. I had 2 nice USB cables and neither was long enough to connect to the DAC. I looked at the price of a new cable versus using the Wyrd as a bridge and the Wyrd was actually cheaper LOL. I'm guessing the Wryd makes a bigger difference for DACs that also get power from the USB which the UD-301 does not. I also only listened for about 10 min without the Wyrd since the DAC was in a precarious position due to the short USB cable length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back