Tea Thread
Aug 6, 2004 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

ama

100+ Head-Fier
Coffee seems to get all of the attention around here, undeservedly in my opinion. Tea, as everyone knows is the real drink of kings. Does anyone else around here drink tea? I personally enjoy Towkok FTGFOP-1 Assam, Yunnan FBOP China Mount Everest Breakfast Blend, Smoky Russian Caravan Russia and Sencha Superior Japan from SpecialTeas.com among others.

Anyone else like tea? Brits maybe (PG Tips anyone)?

Adam

Aug 6, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 60
I'm a big tea fan as well (and a native MN). Unfortunately, I don't have anything ritzy at the moment, I just drank a lot of Republic of Tea pre-bagged stuff, no loose leaf at the moment. Still, before a friend of mine went back to South Korea for the summer she gave me two amazing Korean teas. I find I'm really into the good Asian teas.

Aug 6, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 60
The ritzy stuff is expensive, but a little goes a long way. My father and I have been drinking and appraising (sort of) teas for the lat five years. I still prefer a properly brewed cup of bagged Twinings Irish Breakfast with a touch of milk and a half tea spoon of sugar, over half of these ritzy deals we get.

Also, has anyoen tried Honest Tea brand ice tea (Assam specifically)? In my opinion it is the king of non-alcoholic bottled beverages.

Adam

Aug 6, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin
You guys got a electric Kettle?

No, but I think I know what you are talking about. It is a British think correct?

Aug 6, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ama
No, but I think I know what you are talking about. It is a British think correct?

Its not really a British thing, it's just a Plastic kettle that you plug into the wall. Mine comes with a base that the kettle sits on, so when it's boiled, its detachable (wireless). They are cheap here, from $10 to $100 (if you want a fancy one that can boil water faster).

Aug 6, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 60
I like green tea over red tea. Jasmine tea adds a pleasant aroma. That's the extent of my tea knowledge.

Why do the British add milk and sugar to tea? That just destroys tea's natural flavor.
blink.gif

Aug 6, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 60
I guess it's something you have to get used to.

I can never get used to the bitter taste of black coffee. Always have to add some milk or sugar to it.

But tea is far less strong than coffee.

Aug 6, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 60
Usually I drink green tea when I'm at work. especially when I work late -- later than midnight. I really like green tea but normal brownish/redish tea is good too. So much better than coffee at least which I only drink when I'm really thrashed. I prefer 'real' tea over fruit tea with all kinds of crazy colors. I've tried some german organic cherry tea which was like really deep red. Not 'real' tea IMO.

I'm not into really expensive tea. I just drink the standart tea which you got at resturance (where I work.) Sometimes I drink tea in the mornings too, especially when I'm on hollyday. Just a small luxus.

Aug 6, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 60
Well, standard tea is made up of dried up tea leaves, not that much different than dried up fruits
biggrin.gif

My grandfather used to brew a pot of tea everyday. A good cup of tea is really refreshing during the summer, especially where you don't have air conditioning.

I just can never get used to the taste of coffee. Too strong and bitter.

Aug 6, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
Well, standard tea is made up of dried up tea leaves, not that much different than dried up fruits
biggrin.gif

My grandfather used to brew a pot of tea everyday. A good cup of tea is really refreshing during the summer, especially where you don't have air conditioning.

I just can never get used to the taste of coffee. Too strong and bitter.

If you want to get into coffee start drinking stronger roasted teas, you may come to like coffee one day.

Adam

Aug 6, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 60
I'm a fan of green and white teas. I love good bancha or genmaicha (thanks Stuart for the genmaicha tip). White teas are good since a handful of leaves is good for several infusions, and watching them unfurl is always fun. I also like black tea, but I prefer it with milk and sugar, or iced and unsweetened. I buy most of my tea locally from here: Tea Fountain

I'm also a huge fan of iced tea... usually drink Lipton iced right now, actually, because it's cheap and I'm used to it. What's this Honest Tea iced tea stuff? Any links?

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back