1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Tea Thread

First

Back
1 2 3
  1. ama Contributor
    The Frnch Press is a great idea.

Try www.specialteas.com, they have three types of Jasmine teas, the Jasmine Yin Hao China is very good. Never had the others.

Adam

2. donovansmith Contributor
    I like iced tea made with any half-decent black tea without sugar or lemon. I don't mind sweetened tea sometimes, but can't stand lemon in iced tea. If it's fresh then I'll take it plain.

For hot tea I like plain black or green tea. I do not like spiced teas at all. I like hot tea the same way I like coffee, with milk and sugar but not too much of either. I generally prefer tea over coffee since it is just a milder, gentler flavor although I generally just have instant coffee in the morning due to simplicity. If I go to Starbucks I rarely have the coffee there since it is pretty nasty tasting stuff, but they have good green and black teas. I'm not picky about what tea I get so stuff like Lipton's plain tea tastes fine to me although I prefer green tea. I think my favorite stuff so far has been the Republic of Tea plain green tea. Kind of expensive compared to Lipton's, but well worth it and of course it's less expensive than buying it by the cup from a Barnes & Nobles cafe.

3. ama Contributor
    If you like iced tea then I suggest you try Honest Tea. it only has a touch of sugar, excellent in my opinion. I go for Assam (more widely known as Irish Breakfast Blend).

Adam

4. minya
    What exactly is Thai iced tea? I like it, but usually it's TOO sweet for me. How can I make my own?

- Chris

5. timoteus
    Thai iced tea is tea, sugar, and milk. Some recipes use sweetened condensed milk or half and half or cream instead of milk. There are even some variations that include spices.

6. KYTGuy
    Mmmmmm, Thai Tea - Too Strong, Too Sweet, Too rich, Too cold, Just about right!

7. hottyson
    Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
    What exactly is Thai iced tea? I like it, but usually it's TOO sweet for me. How can I make my own?

I used to buy my Thai tea in Seattle Chinatown. It was in a bag that read "Thai flavored tea" or something like that. I put it in a jar for freshness and it lasted me a very long time. You could probably find it or something similar at one of your local asian markets.
    [​IMG]

8. ama Contributor
    Do you guys go to a specialty store to buy tea or the supermarket? Online maybe?

Adam

9. mikeg Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ama
    Do you guys go to a specialty store to buy tea or the supermarket? Online maybe?

Adam

While reading this thread I got this terrible urge for a cup of tea. Well, I just got one, and took my first sip. Aah, wonderful. Well, anyway, here's some info. My wife's British, and grew up on Ceylon leaf tea. Yet, all we could get in NJ supermarkets was tea bags, which she disliked. She was forced to use Lipton tea bags, but always longed for the wonderful Ceylon leaf tea that she enjoyed as a child. I finally went on a serious search through Indian shops in NJ, and found what I searched for in Islin, NJ. Islin's population is predominently Indian, and that's where I finally located pound packages of Ahmad brand Ceylon tea. It's hard to describe my wife's joy when she took her first sip of the delicious brew. But, now that we've relocated to Sarasota, FL, we again encountered the problem of where/how to get this tea. Few Indians live here, and consequently I found no shops in which to buy this leaf tea by the pound. So, needless to say, the Internet came to our rescue. On two occasions I've bought Ahmad Ceylon Tea in one pound (500 gm) packages, at a very reasonable price, from Soofer Co., Inc., in Los Angeles, CA. Their web address is as follows: www.sadaf.com Now for the manner whereby we prepare our tea. We add several tea spoons of leaf tea into a glass container which contains about seven cups of freshly boiled water, and let it steep for a few minutes. Then, we pour individual cupfulls of hot tea through a small wire sieve, and drink our tea with milk. Sorry for this long winded tale, but I didn't have enough time to write a shorter one.

10. ama Contributor
    Long winded is good, long winded is the best way to enjoy tea.

Adam

11. Zoide
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
    Well, standard tea is made up of dried up tea leaves, not that much different than dried up fruits [​IMG]

My grandfather used to brew a pot of tea everyday. A good cup of tea is really refreshing during the summer, especially where you don't have air conditioning.

I just can never get used to the taste of coffee. Too strong and bitter.

Weird. When I drink a good cup of tea I get very hot, not refreshed. Unless you're talking about iced tea.

12. ama Contributor
    Don't drink so quickly then. [​IMG]

Adam

13. tomek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ama
    The ritzy stuff is expensive, but a little goes a long way. My father and I have been drinking and appraising (sort of) teas for the lat five years. I still prefer a properly brewed cup of bagged Twinings Irish Breakfast with a touch of milk and a half tea spoon of sugar, over half of these ritzy deals we get.

Also, has anyoen tried Honest Tea brand ice tea (Assam specifically)? In my opinion it is the king of non-alcoholic bottled beverages.

Adam

Have you ever tried Fortnum & Mason teas? My gf just got back from England and brought some back for my parents who are big tea drinkers. They noticed teh difference instantly. I even blind tested my dad who instantly picked it out. Cost about 5 pounds sterling for a small container though.

14. episiarch Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ama

I live near several gourmet specialty supermarkets, so I'm often able to buy there. But I also buy online, particularly from
    RSVTea, founded by one of my friends.

15. Spareribs
    I’ve been drinking cold steeped oolong tea from Tealyra company which you can get at Amazon. I just steep 2 bags over night in the refrigerator in a quart size bottle of water. No heat involved. Excellent stuff. Complex flavors.

I recommend that you do not add sugar. Imo, it tastes better that way.

143926A5-7F1A-4F28-AD0E-399C2DA881A8.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
First

Back
1 2 3