1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Tea Thread

First

Back
1 2
Next

Last
  1. ama Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
    I'm a fan of green and white teas. I love good bancha or genmaicha (thanks Stuart for the genmaicha tip). White teas are good since a handful of leaves is good for several infusions, and watching them unfurl is always fun. I also like black tea, but I prefer it with milk and sugar, or iced and unsweetened. I buy most of my tea locally from here: Tea Fountain

I'm also a huge fan of iced tea... usually drink Lipton iced right now, actually, because it's cheap and I'm used to it. What's this Honest Tea iced tea stuff? Any links?

- Chris

http://honesttea.com/

The stuff is the best, if tasts like tea! (Aside form the peach and passion fruit ones, those aren't very good.)

I am so excited to find other tea fans here, where do you get your loose leaf teas from?

Adam

2. timoteus
    The two best resources for tea I have found so far are:

http://holymtn.com/

Exotic teas, hardware, and info.

and

www.uptontea.com

An endless variety of teas, accessories, hardware, and information. You might want to sign up for the Upton Tea Quarterly, it's a real gem.

3. cpw Contributor
    I was never into tea much and it still doesn't seem to fit into my schedule much.
    I have an awesome coffee machine and drink 5-7 cups of that in the morning. I get home from work and usually go to beer or wine.

When I do drink tea I use a cast iron "tetsubin" to brew it in and serve it. I really like using that little pot. It keeps just a few cups warm and is nice to look at.
    I drink more tea when my life moves into slow gear. I wish drinking tea could help my life downshift but it doesn't seem to work that way. I can't seem to make the tail wag the dog.
    CPW

4. adhoc Contributor
    i'm quite partial to oolong tea from the 'tien fu' label. good stuff. [​IMG]

and i prefer my breakfast tea the way the english take it - slightly weak, very milky and sweet - simply fantastic! i can down 30+ cups of that stuff a day. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. CSMR
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
    I like green tea over red tea. Jasmine tea adds a pleasant aroma. That's the extent of my tea knowledge.

Why do the British add milk and sugar to tea? That just destroys tea's natural flavor. [​IMG]

I don't have milk or sugar myself, but there's something very gentle and unassuming about tea with milk!
    Spoke to someone from Tibet the other day: they have tea with Yak's butter and salt! It wasn't a tradition he treasured.

6. adhoc Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
    Spoke to someone from Tibet the other day: they have tea with Yak's butter and salt! It wasn't a tradition he treasured.

i have tried that before - i actually thought it was soup at first! [​IMG]

7. Gariver
  8. cupples
    I'm very partial to a good cup of tea, especially with a pack of custard creams to dip in it. Assam is good, but I like Twinings English Breakfast Tea, and I'm quite partial to Lapsang Souchong. Any drink which smells like smokey bacon has to be good! I completely agree on the electric kettle by the way. Do Americans actually use the hot water tap to make tea, or is that a vicious rumour?

When I'm revising, like now, I would easily drink two or three pots of tea a day. That's about nine or ten mugs. I have the cleanest kidneys in the UK [​IMG]
    Andrew

9. ampgalore
    I usually boil my water. Never use hot tap water. But the best way to purify water is to filter it first, then boil it.

10. cupples
    Heh, we've been filtering all our water lately, after a dead body was pulled out of our local reservoir [​IMG] I have a friend who works in the water service, and he says the chlorination should remove all the bugs, but not the particulate matter... <spits out fingernail>
    Andrew

11. GokieKS
    Have loved Jasmine Tea for about as long as I can remember, but I have no fancy ways of making it - just use a pretty nice tea set that my grandparents gave me the last time I was in China.

During the summer time, cold chrysanthemum tea is excellent as well, and seems to help my problem of frequent nosebleeds. [​IMG]

~KS

12. ampgalore
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cupples
    Heh, we've been filtering all our water lately, after a dead body was pulled out of our local reservoir [​IMG] I have a friend who works in the water service, and he says the chlorination should remove all the bugs, but not the particulate matter... <spits out fingernail>
    Andrew

[​IMG]

Are you serious? That means all the residents being supplied by that reservoir have been drinking... [​IMG]

13. cupples
    Yes, protein-enriched water! Hey, it makes a change from the usual dead sheep... Sales of bottled water have gone through the roof apparently. And it's not like he was in there for much more than a week anyway, sheesh.
    Andrew

14. ama Contributor
    The best tea is made with NYC tap water...

Adam

15. hottyson
    [​IMG] . [​IMG] . [​IMG]
    I use my single serving Bodum French press to make both Starbucks coffee and loose-leaf teas.

Right now I am trying to find a good loose-leaf Jasmine tea.
    I bought a tin of Foojoy Jasmine but it just isn’t doing it for me.

[​IMG] . [​IMG]
    When I want something sweet I make Vietnamese coffee hot or iced, Thai iced tea

[​IMG]
    Red Rose tea with cream and sugar is also yummy.

[​IMG]

First

Back
1 2
Next

Last