TDK IE800 Dual High-Performance Dynamic Micro-Drivers IEM
Feb 14, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #331 of 386
Soundwise, the TDK are definitely better for metal. While the bass isn't emphasised, they have a crispness that's far more suited to aggressive guitars and drums than the REs, which have a smooth sound better for jazz or mellow rock. The one advantage they have over the TDK is ergonomics; they're small, light and disappear comfortably in your ear. The TDK are bulkier and it took me a lot of tip-changing to find a pair that didn't give me a vacuum fit. But it was worth it, and I sold the REs a couple of months ago.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #332 of 386
That's all I needed to hear. At this point, I have no more excuses, so I'm ordering the TDK! Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciated and it was really useful! Maybe in a couple weeks I might write some thoughts, after some burning-in...:wink:

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #333 of 386
I found the TDK IE800 on clearance for $24 at a Homegoods in South Jersey.  There were two sets, but I only bought one because I wasn't familiar with them - I only knew about the BA200.  I didn't get to hear them until later that night, and I was leaving for home in New York well before the store opened the next morning.  Once home, I realized how good they were and I was kicking myself for not buying the second one.  After scouring TJ Maxx, Homegoods and Marshalls up here in NY, I found an EB900 at Marshalls in Mohegan Lake (which I don't like) and, finally, another IE800 in Mt. Kisco.

This is turning into a regular treasure hunt!

May 6, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #334 of 386
It kills me that the bores on the IE800 are too wide for my ear canals.  I can listen to them for about an hour and then I get irritation.  Maybe trying different tips could help?

Gotta find a dynamic IEM with a similar tuning and narrower bores. 

May 11, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #336 of 386
I just want to ad that I been using these for about a year now, and they amazing! Just last night I was listening
To my ipod 7g > alo sxc 24usb > hp p1 > westone es5 with alo sxc 24iem cable which is great! But I forgotten
The sound of these tdks. Long story short. They are a bargain, I paid $100 even at b&h in ny but for $24 bucks DAM
that's cheap. They work well with many setups.

May 11, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #337 of 386
The clarity and air in the midrange and overall soundstage is something I hadn't experienced in an IEM before. 

I imagine that if I was sat down blindfolded at a table with a bunch of more expensive IEMs, I'd favor the IE800s before many pricier options. 

I went and used my UM3X this week and could hardly tolerate all the detail-masking in the mid-range with their warmer tuning.  I'm sure I'd adjust to it over time, but that's not the kind of adaptation I'd want to make.   

I bought the BA200 purely because of how impressed I was with the IE800 and have barely touched it.  I don't think I'll buy any more BA IEMs unless they're hybrids. 

My next IEM will be the zero audio tenores and my only hope with them is that they'll have better ergonomics.  I'm not expecting to find something massively superior in sound. 

May 23, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #339 of 386
  I found the TDK IE800 on clearance for $24 at a Homegoods in South Jersey.  There were two sets, but I only bought one because I wasn't familiar with them - I only knew about the BA200.  I didn't get to hear them until later that night, and I was leaving for home in New York well before the store opened the next morning.  Once home, I realized how good they were and I was kicking myself for not buying the second one.  After scouring TJ Maxx, Homegoods and Marshalls up here in NY, I found an EB900 at Marshalls in Mohegan Lake (which I don't like) and, finally, another IE800 in Mt. Kisco.

This is turning into a regular treasure hunt!

I didn't like the EB900 either and returned it. I DID however love the EB950 which is a totally different animal and with a single dynamic driver gives me 80-90% of the SQ of my EB800 and is now my default gym IEM since it was only 9 bucks! It also has inline controls that work with I-devices. Had to track down another pair for my wife after she heard them and fell in love.

May 23, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #341 of 386
Where'd you find those for $9?

Ross Dress For Less
L3000.gif

May 23, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #343 of 386

To be fair that WAS back in Dec. during the big Head-Fi TDK frenzy. Last time I checked they had one on ear TDK can (don't remember which one) and the rest of their inventory was total crap and very picked over. Probably 15 or 20% of the stock they had during the holidays.

May 23, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #344 of 386
Gotcha.  Well, I'm all about others taking advantage of deals.  I check in to Ross and TJ Maxx (walked through today, actually) occasionally as I love this hobby but have to do it on a budget.  

May 24, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #345 of 386

Might also want to periodically check Marshalls if you have one nearby as they are an affiliate store to TJ Maxx I believe and a few people found some TDK's there as well. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back