TDK BA200 Thread
Feb 17, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #1,426 of 1,509
The Westone series will be a little darker with less treble extension. The UM2 (old model name) would be closest. The UM3x and newer model will be considerable bassier and more stage monitor oriented.

Other choices to consider are the Hifiman RE400 but build quality is most likely a step back. Another to consider is the EarWerkz Supra universal. It will be a little bit brighter but still pretty linear. On the cheap, check out the Zero Audio Tenore. Somewhat similar in approach but with more sub bass.

+1 on Tenore.  You can see my sig for IEMs I liked more than the BA200

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #1,427 of 1,509
So instead of creating a new thread, I'm going to post my question here. I like the TDK BA-200's sound signature, I even stayed away from Head Fi since I got them because I didn't have the need to updgrade. However, the left ear does not work anymore, they're discontinued and I've read about other people having issues with the build quality as well so I need something else. I've read that the Westone UM series are very similar to these, does anyone have experience upgrading from these to the UM series, or any other model? I'm just looking for some guidance from people that have moved on from the 200's to something similar or better.

I think the InEar StageDiver 2 is a good upgrade to the BA200

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #1,428 of 1,509
Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I looked for more information on the Tenore and the reviews are great and good price too. Seeing that there is a significant price difference between the Tenore and the 200's, are they really comparable? I'm not implying that cost is the only factor when judging the quality, but the 200's are 3x the price of the Tenore. Just a question.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,429 of 1,509
Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I looked for more information on the Tenore and the reviews are great and good price too. Seeing that there is a significant price difference between the Tenore and the 200's, are they really comparable? I'm not implying that cost is the only factor when judging the quality, but the 200's are 3x the price of the Tenore. Just a question.

I like the Tenore more because there is slightly more bass impact and they sound more realistic.  There was something about the mids of the BA200 that made it sound slightly unnatural.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #1,431 of 1,509
So instead of creating a new thread, I'm going to post my question here. I like the TDK BA-200's sound signature, I even stayed away from Head Fi since I got them because I didn't have the need to updgrade. However, the left ear does not work anymore, they're discontinued and I've read about other people having issues with the build quality as well so I need something else. I've read that the Westone UM series are very similar to these, does anyone have experience upgrading from these to the UM series, or any other model? I'm just looking for some guidance from people that have moved on from the 200's to something similar or better.

I've been in a similar boat recently with my TDKs. My left ear went out last year and i thought they were goners until i tried them plugged directly from the short plug (extension removed) into my audio source, and they worked perfectly. Once I ordered a new extension they worked great again. You've likely already tried this but just a heads up if not. 

I'll second a recommendation for the RE-400s, although the range isn't quite as full as the TDKs (more mid-focused). 

The RHA MA-750 has a similar signature to the TDKs with more bass emphasis and infinitely better build quality (and a 3 year warranty to boot). In a direct comparison the TDKs are more refined and have a smoother sound while also revealing a bit more detail than the RHAs. However the RHAs are very impressive overall, particularly for the price, and the extra bass hits hard with the right music without clouding the midrange. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #1,432 of 1,509
The MA750 looks to be very bassy from these measurements: http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/10/rha-ma750-part2-general-analysis.html?m=1
To be fair, I haven't heard it but have heard the T10i, which bassier than the MA750 by most accounts. But it's build quality is superb. RHA build is among the best I've seen at any price point.

For reference sake, here are the BA200 measurements from the same set up:
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/04/tdk-ba200.html?m=1

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,433 of 1,509
The MA750 looks to be very bassy from these measurements: http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/10/rha-ma750-part2-general-analysis.html?m=1
To be fair, I haven't heard it but have heard the T10i, which bassier than the MA750 by most accounts. But it's build quality is superb. RHA build is among the best I've seen at any price point.

For reference sake, here are the BA200 measurements from the same set up:
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/04/tdk-ba200.html?m=1

Totally agree about the build quality, my MA750s are one of the best built products I own period, and they put most IEMs to shame in that respect. 

From what I've read the T10i is considerably bassier than the MA750 and mostly have read so-so reviews of the overall sound (on the T10i). The MA750 is definitely bassier than the BA200, but to my ears the bass rarely bleeds into the mids so the overall sound is pretty clean. I can't stand muddy bass that clouds the rest of the sound but i don't mind some extra punch as long as it stays where it belongs. The MA750s are able to straddle that line of extra bass without devolving into flabbiness. 

May 16, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #1,435 of 1,509
I just ordered a pair. Can anyone give me some good advice to make them last a long time? I am worried about build quality. Many say their's have broken. How can I make them last forever? Well okay maybe not forever, but at least a good amount of time (prolong it's life)?

May 16, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #1,436 of 1,509
Handle them gently, wrap the wire gently. You don't know the care habits of the people whose units have died. Of the IEMs I own, they all still work. I think the more fragile headphones like the BA200 and ones with weaker strain relief are susceptible to careless owners.

May 18, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #1,438 of 1,509
I would say keep them in a nice box. For mine it lasted until I accidentally clamp the box too hard and broke both the shell and driver

My second pair is running nicely and I am listening to it now. Still as amazing as ever and my favourite for listening on the go.

May 18, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #1,439 of 1,509
I have had two incidents. First right damper got clogged by sweat and i replaced it with a Knowles damper. A few months later the cable broke at the jack. A friend of mine was able to replace the jack hence it is back working.

Even nursing them incidents have happened to me. Hence build quality it is not as stellar as the sound.

Fear the man wearing velcro strapped sandals, for he has nothing left to lose.

May 18, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #1,440 of 1,509
^ Did you exercise with them? Or was this just normal listening?

"I would say keep them in a nice box. For mine it lasted until I accidentally clamp the box too hard and broke both the shell and driver

My second pair is running nicely and I am listening to it now. Still as amazing as ever and my favourite for listening on the go."

Do you recommend a good box?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back