TDK BA200 Thread
Apr 1, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #811 of 1,509
I never said that, I said 'pretty perfectl6hs :p

Also, I noticed a thin midrange peak, making snares sound high pitched with the complies. These modded tips also solve that. The only thing I could ask for is more detail in the highs, but no filter or tip is going to provide that.

if you still want more details, you want more high resolution, presence, tips choice is important and would change that as well as dampers, since it minimizes any masking affect of all other frequencies allowing more apparent details. The BA200 is VERY picky about tips, it's actually very limited, very few tips do it justice,

ER6-18C would be the one to get, or Etymotic clear triflanges with the smallest flange cut off, it's the sweespot of bore size and length. Shure flex tips are still too long with the mod suggested, and making it shorter with a bigger bore is not a good approach. It's close though, i'll give you that. 

Have you tried difference in dampers?

Apr 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #812 of 1,509
Quote:
if you still want more details, you want more high resolution, presence, tips choice is important and would change that as well as dampers, since it minimizes any masking affect of all other frequencies allowing more apparent details. The BA200 is VERY picky about tips, it's actually very limited, very few tips do it justice,

ER6-18C would be the one to get, or Etymotic clear triflanges with the smallest flange cut off, it's the sweespot of bore size and length. Shure flex tips are still too long with the mod suggested, and making it shorter with a bigger bore is not a good approach. It's close though, i'll give you that. 

Have you tried difference in dampers?

With dampers you mean filters? I haven't at all. But of all tips I tried the modded grey flex's by far sound the best. I wouldn't mind experimenting with damping, but triple flangers will never ever fit. My ear canal is very shallow. That's why I chose these shure tips.

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #813 of 1,509
Foam modded stock double flanges work extremely well. I use cut down hole punched ear plugs for a core on the bottom flange. I recently noticed a slight improvement by creating a very small core of the same material for the upper flange as well. It seems to create a double seal in my ear. I noticed more air detail and sense of space. Outside noise is reduced as well. This is not a big difference but that along with a slight textural and dynamic improvent to the bass almost is quite an improvement. Those filters are a pain. I have had to change them twice from earwax buildup. There is so little to them that I would imagine all they do is keep wax from getting in the nozzle port. You think removing them might improve the highest frequencies?

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #814 of 1,509
BA200 analysis

TDK/Imation certain did their research. Certainly, find tips that can go as deep as possible, more users should try the suggested ER6i-18c [which are small] or ER38-18c [with the smallest flange cut off], which are equivalent but bigger in size. Both are double flange as result and are quite accessible. 

Add 30ohms to make them a bit more neutral. 

It uses the Etymotic HF/ER4 Knowles ED driver for the highs and perhaps the bass driver of the TF10, or something similar to it. IMO, these are better than most of the stuff that's recommended in this price range, better than XBA3/30. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #815 of 1,509
Quote:
BA200 analysis

TDK/Imation certain did their research. Certainly, find tips that can go as deep as possible, more users should try the suggested ER6i-18c [which are small] or ER38-18c [with the smallest flange cut off], which are equivalent but bigger in size. Both are double flange as result and are quite accessible. 

Add 30ohms to make them a bit more neutral. 

It uses the Etymotic HF/ER4 Knowles ED driver for the highs and perhaps the bass driver of the TF10, or something similar to it. IMO, these are better than most of the stuff that's recommended in this price range, better than XBA3/30. 

Very nice analysis, very nice indeed. Just one question, how would one ad resistance? Could one buy cables with resistance, or do I need to make a cable myself?

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #817 of 1,509

It's been speculated before that the BA200 uses Sonion drivers. Has this been debunked?

Really doubt it's a Sonion, it's likely the Knowles ED drier I think. It's characteristics are exact. 

I actually take back adding resistance, makes the bass tighter, but ups the 10k a bit more. With the BA200 goal is to minimize the peak without giving up on the other regions. I'm using the suggested tips with orange dampers, stock biflanges are too sibilant. That's it!

Apr 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #820 of 1,509
Yesterday I was reading the ba200 analysis that inks had posted and ended up going to an etymotic article where it tells you how deep you insert your iem...

So I basically took the small dual flange the ba200 came with and shoved them as far as I could into my ear (which was pretty scary at first)

BUT WOOW DID IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE
The sound was like day and night compared to how I was listening before.

Treble and resolution significantly improved especially at the 7-8khz region. The mids were more forward as well. However I didn't notice an improvement in the bass.

Although I couldn't help but think I've lost a bit of soundstage, the improvements in imaging and instrumental separation made up for it.

It sort of made me question what have I been listening before

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #821 of 1,509
Quote:
Don't you think they sound very wooly? Which comply pair do you use, the smaller one?

The Large TX100s. I'm not sure what you mean by wooly but I know with some other phones Comply's tended to kill the highs, which for some reason I didn't find to be a problem with the BA200s. I also hated the stock dual flanges, and couldn't get a seal at all. I was trying to get a pair of Earsonics/Sensorcom dual flanges, but I found the sound with the Complys to my liking and the isolation and comfort are hard to beat. They also stay in better than any silicone tips, in my experience.

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #822 of 1,509
After selling off all my top-tier IEM's to focus on open-back full size headphones now I wish I would have kept one because I do need a pair for when I jog, workout or when I'm just going out and about.  I think I'm going to get a pair of the BA200's again because they're cheap, they have top-tier SQ and build quality and are good all arounders imo and I really liked them with EDM.  

One thing I'm missing about IEM's is the fact that the price have come way down and like with the BA200 you can get top-tier SQ for mid-tier prices but that's not really the case with HP's, the HE-400 which was my first quality purchase is one of the closest to bang for buck there is at $400, but its worth it.

Apr 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #823 of 1,509
Quote:
After selling off all my top-tier IEM's to focus on open-back full size headphones now I wish I would have kept one because I do need a pair for when I jog, workout or when I'm just going out and about.  I think I'm going to get a pair of the BA200's again because they're cheap, they have top-tier SQ and build quality and are good all arounders imo and I really liked them with EDM.  

One thing I'm missing about IEM's is the fact that the price have come way down and like with the BA200 you can get top-tier SQ for mid-tier prices but that's not really the case with HP's, the HE-400 which was my first quality purchase is one of the closest to band for buck there is at $400, but its worth it.

I'd say you can get top-tier IEM sound quality in headphones for a mid-tier price. Just not top-tier headphone SQ for a mid-tier price. I do think mid-tier headphones usually have something to utterly dislike in their sound signature, such as overwhelming bass or sibilance. IEMs seem to have a more balanced/neutral sound for the price.

I just got the BA200 and I really like it, but I want more, now I want customs... I was looking at cosmicears, very cheap. But I might just keep the BA200s for jogging or other stuff :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back