TDK BA200 Thread
Dec 11, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #406 of 1,509
I would consider the ba200 an up-side-grade. :p  For me personally, the gr07 was too "all over the place" with the frequency response curve.  A lot of mid bass, sibilant treble, no real high highs and hard to describe mids.  The ba200 is fairly flat all around the spectrum with more of a downward curve on the high end giving what some people call a "warm" sound.  I don't think they sound very warm.  Warm from lack of the clearest highs, perhaps, but not warm in the "these make me feel cozy" way that even the pfe112 had.  However, the ba200 pull out a lot of details, have no real flaws and just sound great.

So they are a sidestep, because overall they don't do anything a lot better than the gr07, but they are an upgrade because they eliminate the flaws of the gr07 with only a slight decrease in treble presence.  This also seems to decreases when using an amp, and you get slightly more crisp treble.  I personally can't get past some of the flaws that others can.  I'm not even sure if i'm going to keep the ba200, but if I had to keep any, the gr07 would be one of the last on my list.

Don't take that as a negative review, but more of a description of the way they sound to me.  A lot of people seem to like their sound signature, but I can say this, the ba200 are definitely more accurate overall, which translates to a better realism with strings, etc.  Then again, some people like their strings to be "vivid".  I like them to be realistic... :)  Just my thoughts.

I couldn't have phrased it any better.

For me, in terms of overall sound quality, the GR07 is up there with the big boys, but terms of presentation, the BA200 pulls away from the GR07. The BA200 just sounds a lot more spacious.

I have both the GR07 and the BA200 and it works because I can switch between a highly resolving reference IEM for vocal tracks and classical music, and a very good stage monitor with low lows and high highs for more "fun" contemporary stuff. But just like Travelbug, I too am anticipating the GR08.

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #408 of 1,509
Quote:
I couldn't have phrased it any better.
For me, in terms of overall sound quality, the GR07 is up there with the big boys, but terms of presentation, the BA200 pulls away from the GR07. The BA200 just sounds a lot more spacious.
I have both the GR07 and the BA200 and it works because I can switch between a highly resolving reference IEM for vocal tracks and classical music, and a very good stage monitor with low lows and high highs for more "fun" contemporary stuff. But just like Travelbug, I too am anticipating the GR08.

when is the gr08 coming out and how much?

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #410 of 1,509
Anyone knows how the UE 700 and BA200 stack up against each other?

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #411 of 1,509
Quote:
Anyone knows how the UE 700 and BA200 stack up against each other?

ba200 hands down in my opinion.  the ue700 is similar in it's neutrality i suppose, but it sounds somehow more veiled overall.  they share the same lack of very high airy-ness, but they are still good overall.  the ue700 has a sort of slight drop and then hump in the mid treble section which can give it a slightly hollow/boxy sound.  The ba200 doesn't suffer from any of that and sounds more even overall.  Another note is that the ba200 gained a little bit of that missing high clarity when used on my duet amp.  The ue700 didn't gain much if anything.  Although I'm not sure how other amps would affect them.  I also much prefer the ba200 physically....

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #412 of 1,509
Quote:
ba200 hands down in my opinion.  the ue700 is similar in it's neutrality i suppose, but it sounds somehow more veiled overall.  they share the same lack of very high airy-ness, but they are still good overall.  the ue700 has a sort of slight drop and then hump in the mid treble section which can give it a slightly hollow/boxy sound.  The ba200 doesn't suffer from any of that and sounds more even overall.  Another note is that the ba200 gained a little bit of that missing high clarity when used on my duet amp.  The ue700 didn't gain much if anything.  Although I'm not sure how other amps would affect them.  I also much prefer the ba200 physically....

Thank you luisdent for your impressions.

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #413 of 1,509
Yeah the BA200 is much better than the UE700 imo.  I only heard the UE700 for about an hour but just from that and can tell the BA200 is quite a bit better over all.  The only thing the UE700 might have over the BA200 is a little bit more sub bass but that's it.

Dec 11, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #414 of 1,509
Quote:
The only thing the UE700 might have over the BA200 is a little bit more sub bass but that's it.

That's EXACTLY what I was going to say, but it's been a while since I heard them (they didn't impress me enough overall) that I wasn't sure if I was remembering right.  But I thought the sub bass was just a bit better.  Otherwise, ba all the way :wink:

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #415 of 1,509
Quote:

Agreed.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #416 of 1,509
Picked up my package from the post office this morning (Mailman seriously doesn't even try to knock anymore)

Took them out with me on my commute, they felt off the whole day. Was using the stock dual flange, come home and switch those out with the Shure triple from my SE530 and MY GOD!

The volume sounded low with the dual and the triple just kicks everything up. I'm not great with descriptions, one thing I really love about them is the separation in the instruments. Everything just sounds so nice, especially the highs. I usually use a few bands to test out and Black Sabbath is kind of the golden standard for me. make a FLAC Sabbath sound just a little extra special and ya got me. The bass is enough for me, very well controlled and just flows. The treble is less than the 530 but it honestly balances out really well in the mix.

I also switched the extension with the Shure one, have to listen more to see if one is actually better than the other. They are more analytical than I am used to, not in a bad way. One of my Queensryche albums is a vinyl rip and it is actually pleasant to hear some of that underlying noise. The fit actually feels nicer (especially with the triple flange) than my Shure, sits comfortably.

Setup used

Ipod 5.5G/80G (Rockbox)
RSA P-51
LOD

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #417 of 1,509
Yeah the BA200 is very good with separation and imaging.  

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #418 of 1,509
Quote:
Yeah the BA200 is very good with separation and imaging.  

Indeed.  That is its greatest strength in my opinion.  Despite lacking "the highest highs", I found myself impressed that it still managed to make instruments sit in their own spaces distinctly.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #419 of 1,509
Would it be weird to say I enjoy listening with these more than the 530's?

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #420 of 1,509
Quote:
Would it be weird to say I enjoy listening with these more than the 530's?

Not at all, even though it only cost around $150 now its a top-tier IEM and can compete with IEM's like the SE530, W4, SM3 and others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back