Taste in music change?
Apr 5, 2007 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

kipman725

500+ Head-Fier
Before I got into Hi-FI I mainly listened to metal and hard rock and now I find myself gravitating towards classical music. has anyone else found this?

I have always played classical music (I'm a bass player) but never rearly listened to it for pleasure. Luckily my parents have an excellent music collection which I have taken to borrowing
600smile.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 32
That's funny, I've listened to more metal since joining HF than anything else... though I suppose the specific styles of metal I prefer have changed considerably over the years.

I don't mold my music taste to my gear - I buy gear that suits my music taste.

Apr 6, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 32
If your liking classical listen to some old 70's progressive rock like Genisis, Gentle Giant , ELP, Jethro Tull...ETC. They incorparate rock flavor...with a lot of the changes found in classical, oh and add Yes to that list.

Apr 6, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 32
Well, before discovering head-fi my main source for music was the radio. Yeah, that's all changed now.
wink.gif

I'm still trying out new music but I've recently discovered I love power metal and J-Pop.
blink.gif
Who knew?

Apr 6, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 32
i dont think my music tastes have changed at all. maybe bc i listened to everything b4 i even got here
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #6 of 32
Mine have. It used to just be normal everyday radio pop and rock. Now I like Jazz, Blues and alot of non-genred stuff like BT and Cinematic Orchestra. I'm even begging to get into classical.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 32
Well I've found I no longer listen to the radio at all really. Even the somewhat decent stations that don't play mainstream don't play anything I like.

With the amount of suggestion here, I've got plenty of music to listen to, without the need for radio as to me a lot of the music you'd discover on the radio sucks anyway.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #8 of 32
This is not so much a change in taste as it is personal growth.

I like everything I did before, but there's been a whole lot more jazz and world music for me over the past year. Lately, electronica has caught my ear. I'll get into that next. Never really expected to, either.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #9 of 32
Hoo boy, can I relate. This past year, I've gone through a whole chain of music "phase" changes. The beginning of last year, I listened to primarily rap/hip hop and rarely anything else. Fast forward a few months ahead, I simply could not tolerate listening to rap at all anymore. I moved on to more of the metal/hard rock scene. Shortly after, I became obsessed with blues classical and jazz. Right now, I found a newly aquired taste for older classic rock such as The Beatles, Queen, ACDC and Aerosmith.
blink.gif

But, as Uncle Erik said above, I agree it is more personal growth than anything. I'm merely expanding to my music repertoire as I'm experiencing other genres.

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 32
i agree that it's an continuing evolution and the need for something new/different is very powerful.

while i can't say that my taste has changed, there's definitely a lot of music i used to listen to that i don't have the patience for any more.

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 32
My music tastes changed long before I came here. Ive always been into classic rock and metal, but then I got into psychedelic trance and ambient/chillout type stuff. I love the hard beats and intricate layers found in psychedelic trance. Dont mistake psychedelic trance for club trance, psychedelic is far deeper and doesnt have that repetitive "club" sound to it. Most psychedelic has top notch engineering too...I havent heard too many albums where I thought the engineering was crap.

Apr 17, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 32
In 9th grade I listened primarily to gershwin, sinatra, broadway musicals, etc. I then moved to the beatles and more soft-rock kind of stuff, then to classic rock in general. My favorite band has remained Pink Floyd since then.

The biggest changes have come recently. I have always appreciated classical, but never listened to it for pleasure. That's changing. I'm still not really into jazz, but can see the potential for that to change. The biggest revelation i've had, though, has been in terms of new age, and ethnic and world fusion music. i listen to new agey stuff all the time now (Lorreena McKennitt, Deep Forest, Enigma, Krishna Das, etc.). Loving it
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #13 of 32
Being a part of the Head-Fi community for the past two years has changed my musical tastes, in every genre.
Although it has definitely opened my eyes up to alot more varieties of classical, I believe the most dramatic change in my musical tastes has to be within the metal genre.
I am open to and listen to more types of music now that I ever thought I would.
I am a happier man as a result
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not so much a change in taste as it is personal growth.

Exactly, and don't expect it to end at classical. You will move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back