Tascam TH-02 - Headphones waiting to be discovered??? (now Appreciation Thread)
Oct 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #46 of 194
Yes, I heard it just needs a good cleaning on the plug.  The earpads are easy to remove.  I'm also waiting for some good and cheap earpads suggestions.  But they are already getting better with use.

Oct 29, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #48 of 194
  Yes, I heard it just needs a good cleaning on the plug.  The earpads are easy to remove.  I'm also waiting for some good and cheap earpads suggestions.  But they are already getting better with use.

Whew! Good, because both were having the issue. I'm letting em have the pink noise treatment now. Overall I'd say they definitely were worth the $25 investment. 

Now for some earpad rolling :)

Oct 29, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #49 of 194
I have a hunch the ringing comes from the baffle which is kinda thin and poorly supported against the cup, anyone with dynamat handy could try their luck applying a bit on the ear side all around the driver openings.

Oct 29, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #50 of 194
For break-in, I just listen to whatever I usually do.  I heard about using pink noise or special signal/cd, but haven't had much experience yet.  Anyone has any thoughts on the pros and cons for each approach?  I wasn't impressed with them during the first few mins, but then it opened up rather quickly.

Oct 29, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #51 of 194
For break-in, I just listen to whatever I usually do.  I heard about using pink noise or special signal/cd, but haven't had much experience yet.  Anyone has any thoughts on the pros and cons for each approach?  I wasn't impressed with them during the first few mins, but then it opened up rather quickly.

I believe pink noise is popular because it cycles through the entire frequency range, whereas different genres of music often live in different frequency pockets. In some ways it's just more convenient been blasting rock music or EDM four hours.

I certainly agree that they've opened up nicely of the course of this first extended listening session.

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #53 of 194
You could use that or YouTube or download a longer file to be used off-line here:

https://archive.org/details/TenMinutesOfWhiteNoisePinkNoiseAndBrownianNoise

I turn it on a volume just louder than I would listen to normally.

Oct 31, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #54 of 194
I took some nekkid pictures of the TH-02 here: http://imgur.com/a/0P8PZ - as you can see, this headphone is very easy to mod.  I'm getting a second pair so that I can try out various modifications, including a full conversion to an open can, and I'll also have a shot at fixing the issues that showed up in Tyll's measurements (a bit too much ringing, and slightly hot around 9-10 kHz

Oct 31, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #55 of 194
  I took some nekkid pictures of the TH-02 here: http://imgur.com/a/0P8PZ - as you can see, this headphone is very easy to mod.  I'm getting a second pair so that I can try out various modifications, including a full conversion to an open can, and I'll also have a shot at fixing the issues that showed up in Tyll's measurements (a bit too much ringing, and slightly hot around 9-10 kHz

Bring it on! Lots of potential here.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #57 of 194
So when one mentions "too much ringing," what is the physical cause of that issue? Driver vibration? Reverb? Telemarketers?

Can be any number of reasons, but in the case of the TH-02, I rather suspect it's 90% to do with the plastic in the enclosure resonating, as it's a quite thin plastic - if you take the headphones off, and turn them up loud, you can very much feel the entire ear cup vibrating along with the music.  

Other causes can be an underdamped driver (which I don't think this is, as that would've resulted in a much different response when you open the can, and these change less than you'd expect when taking of the ear cup.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #60 of 194
Recession?... If you mean the ~10 Khz peak, I really don't know, maybe it's best to EQ down so you don't drown out the rest of the spectrum. It's really not that bothersome to me, I got a chance to listen to these side by side with some old beyer dt 990s at approximately the same volume... now those DO have an annoying treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back