Tascam TH-02 - Headphones waiting to be discovered??? (now Appreciation Thread)
Nov 1, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #76 of 194
Yeah, the difference is in the cup construction. iirc, in the HD555/595 all Sennheiser changed was adding a piece of rubber. But the change in the FR is over an octave wide and not peakish.

Still, I'm not saying it's impossible to tame the 10k peak a bit with a mod.

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #77 of 194
Aargh, headroom measurements... Those data do not support modders' argument. First, that difference is well within a driver's sample-to-sample variability as well as within measurement setting's variability (e.g., slight change in their position on the dummy head).  

Second, if you change headphones' ear cup structure, of course, you will see some, most likely, small effect on their FR due to the change in the reflection profile. But this is very difficult to predict---a modder without measurement will simply make a haphazard decision. And more importantly, a slight change in the reflection pattern is unlikely to cause a difference adequate to remedy a large FR anomaly due to diaphragm resonances (like the Tascam's).

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #79 of 194
Nov 5, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #80 of 194
Another week, another deal rolling in for the Tascam TH-02. If you don't mind white, you can find it for a good deal on eBay. It is now available for $20.75 from musicsupplydirect, an authorized reseller. It may fluctuate later after the time of this post. I was able to get it for $19.09.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181114999387

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #81 of 194
Stripped these drivers of their plastic and gave them some wood. Overall, these sound very balanced and nice. Of course they are no resolution monsters, but good, flat bass and balanced sound is hard to find. Especially at a price like this.

Drivers: 50mm

Wood baffle, driver glued on

Cup: Black and white ebony. Connector: mini xlr

Frame

Complete with Brainwavz HM5 pads

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #86 of 194
The peak does get better if you apply the infamous toilet paper mod, just use a sheet between the pads and enclosure and it will be tamed ~5 dB according to some pirate's analysis.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #87 of 194
I dynamited the cover and put some TP in-between the ear pad and speaker.  I used a sock and cut it up to place around the speaker blocking the plastic.  Just an O shape.  Sounds really awesome now.  Bass still hits strong and no more treble spike.  That which I heard.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #88 of 194
The TP mod works really well. That fixed up a lot of the treble issues for me.

I also suggest filling out the headphone pads with TP -- it fixed all seal issues that I was encountering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back