Tanchjim in ear monitors Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #796 of 1,514
After trying so many different coating materials for diaphragm, I am starting to gravitate towards the LCP (Liquid Crystal Polymer) over the Carbon/Beryllium/Titanium/Graphene/unobtainium based drivers. I definitely notice tonal characteristics of each material used now.
I always thought that it would have been expectation bias, but no I am trusting what I hear and my hearing abilities.

Case in point, Adagio and Fugue in C minor k.546 (mozart) by Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields. First 30 seconds in, I know Tanchjim HANA accurately portrays the timbre of all stringed instruments with equal weight between violin, viola and cellos. I can almost hear breathing of conductor sir Neville Marriner between quiet tracks. Sense of air and instruments resonating inside the hall clearly traceable.
Switching to the IBasso IT00, I notice right away cello section has more weight than violin section and first violin sound muffled by comparison. Timbre is not accurate as well; little too warm and colored. When instruments are playing notes at the same fundamental pitch and loudness HANA can display contrast between them but not on the IT00.

Don’t get me wrong, IT00 is tuned really well and it excels at playing most popular music, rap, rock and r&b, but when it comes to classical music, I still prefer the HANA and its LCP driver. Just like how I adored the Sony EX-1000 for so long. Hana is like ex1000, but not as thin sounding. Perfect! (until the next one shows up..)
So, I wonder how the LCP DD of the HANA differs from the CNT DD of the Oxygen, sound-wise.

Jul 25, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #797 of 1,514
After trying so many different coating materials for diaphragm, I am starting to gravitate towards the LCP (Liquid Crystal Polymer) over the Carbon/Beryllium/Titanium/Graphene/unobtainium based drivers. I definitely notice tonal characteristics of each material used now.
I always thought that it would have been expectation bias, but no I am trusting what I hear and my hearing abilities.

Case in point, Adagio and Fugue in C minor k.546 (mozart) by Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields. First 30 seconds in, I know Tanchjim HANA accurately portrays the timbre of all stringed instruments with equal weight between violin, viola and cellos. I can almost hear breathing of conductor sir Neville Marriner between quiet tracks. Sense of air and instruments resonating inside the hall clearly traceable.
Switching to the IBasso IT00, I notice right away cello section has more weight than violin section and first violin sound muffled by comparison. Timbre is not accurate as well; little too warm and colored. When instruments are playing notes at the same fundamental pitch and loudness HANA can display contrast between them but not on the IT00.

Don’t get me wrong, IT00 is tuned really well and it excels at playing most popular music, rap, rock and r&b, but when it comes to classical music, I still prefer the HANA and its LCP driver. Just like how I adored the Sony EX-1000 for so long. Hana is like ex1000, but not as thin sounding. Perfect! (until the next one shows up..)

KZ ZS3E and ZS4 use LCP drivers :)

Jul 25, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #798 of 1,514

As mostly my listening is also classical, I completely agree with your comments regarding the Hana's ability to accurately portray classical instrumentation!

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #799 of 1,514

Wow. As a music major in college, having okayed in various orchestras for over a decade, I appreciate your observations.

Going to hunt down that recording. Might have to get the Hana.

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #800 of 1,514
Wow. As a music major in college, having okayed in various orchestras for over a decade, I appreciate your observations.

Going to hunt down that recording. Might have to get the Hana.

I played in various orchestras (first violin) for about 20 years as well, but I majored visual art in college :)

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #801 of 1,514
I forgot to mention my absolute favorite diaphragm material is a certain bio-cellulose membrane found in some of old Sony headphones. I almost cried when I first demoed the R10. I believe they degrade over long period of time so I didn’t include it in my list.

Speaking of bio cellulose you guys need to check out the haylou gt1 plus TWS which supposedly use some sort of bio diaphragm (7.2mm). It sounds amazingly organic, no pun intended.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #802 of 1,514
20200730_224458.jpg
Pair nicely with Qudelix5k​

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #805 of 1,514
anyone have hana comparison with kxxs?

which one easier to drive and better for classical, pop, & accoustic?

at first i already plan to buy hana, but heard it need good source (only have lg g6 as portable source), and saw a good kxxs deal around $150

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #806 of 1,514
anyone have hana comparison with kxxs?

which one easier to drive and better for classical, pop, & accoustic?

at first i already plan to buy hana, but heard it need good source (only have lg g6 as portable source), and saw a good kxxs deal around $150
Classic/accoustic = Hana
Pop = KXXS

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #807 of 1,514
Hana is also great for rap.

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #808 of 1,514
I highly recommend the Sedna Earfit Xelastec tips as a pairing with the Oxygen. I'd already been using the regular Sedna Earfit tips with my Oxygen, but the "grip" of the Xelastec makes for a perfect and stable seal. So I'd expect the same to be true for the Hana, or any other short nozzle set.

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #809 of 1,514
I highly recommend the Sedna Earfit Xelastec tips as a pairing with the Oxygen. I'd already been using the regular Sedna Earfit tips with my Oxygen, but the "grip" of the Xelastec makes for a perfect and stable seal. So I'd expect the same to be true for the Hana, or any other short nozzle set.

I rock SednaFit Lights on mine (using them today coincidentally).

FAD3FAAC-BBE8-454E-AD5D-30E3B1BB6A58.jpeg

I wish the XELASTEC tips were the same length as the regular SednaFit tips. There’s no way the short XELASTEC tips would work on such a short-nozzled IEM like the Oxygen (for my ears anyways).

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #810 of 1,514
I rock SednaFit Lights on mine (using them today coincidentally).

FAD3FAAC-BBE8-454E-AD5D-30E3B1BB6A58.jpeg

I wish the XELASTEC tips were the same length as the regular SednaFit tips. There’s no way the short XELASTEC tips would work on such a short-nozzled IEM like the Oxygen (for my ears anyways).
I do wish they at least offered it in regular length.

I’ve never seen that carrying case of yours. IT’S AWESOME!!! Gotta love Sony Sport!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back