Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 20, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #1,066 of 4,538
All this talk about the Pro 82 not doing very well with vocals (or otherwise), fortunately that does not bother me since 95% of the material that I listen to are instrumental music, mostly smooth jazz and jazz fusion (Earl Klugh, Lee Ritenour, Chris Geith, Bill Evans, Chris Spheeris, Dan Siegel, Dave Grusin, Pat Metheny, Fourplay etc.) As long as they are comfortable and feel good on my head, that's all that matters.

Vocal's for me are the best part for me, so clear, floating out in front of my face then the rest of the stage out like a screen with sounds filling the 16.9 picture, instruments filling all the space with its awesome complete imaging.

All this maybe down to synergy with the LDMKII and the C3G Valves, when I went back and listened to the X2, enjoyed the music, the disjointed stage is fun the treble is good with the down side of veiled vocals, again this could be non synergy with tubes.

That is why it is hard to judge other people's posts, their gear will in most case be different to yours. I do get excited by music and headphones, music is my life. I hope my post's have not made people buy it that now hate it, sorry. Non of it was to get people to try it was my excitement that I have found a headphone that fits my set up and preferences.

Jan 20, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #1,067 of 4,538
I don't this that the vocal performance of the Pro82 is bad, it's just no way near that of any $200+ open headphones that I've heard. That's also perfectly fine given their price.

The Pro82 to me are not a bad headphone per se but the lack of dynamics are a serious deal breaker to me.

Anyway, I've got enough other stuff to enjoy so I'm probably just going to write up the $70 spent on these as money out the window and move on.

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #1,068 of 4,538
Vocal's for me are the best part for me, so clear, floating out in front of my face then the rest of the stage out like a screen with sounds filling the 16.9 picture, instruments filling all the space with its awesome complete imaging.

All this maybe down to synergy with the LDMKII and the C3G Valves, when I went back and listened to the X2, enjoyed the music, the disjointed stage is fun the treble is good with the down side of veiled vocals, again this could be non synergy with tubes.

That is why it is hard to judge other people's posts, their gear will in most case be different to yours. I do get excited by music and headphones, music is my life. I hope my post's have not made people buy it that now hate it, sorry. Non of it was to get people to try it was my excitement that I have found a headphone that fits my set up and preferences.

+1

I am personally thought that the Pro 82's vocal section is pretty good. I never thought that its lifeless at all. I also enjoy the Pro 82 bass because it has a good amount to it but never bleed to the mids; I have to agree that other cans might have a better subbass. It doesn't go low like any THX00 series but it also doesn't have those shrilling upper midrange and treble like TH900. So far, I enjoy the headphone with most of my setup except with XDP-100r. It's kinda dull but adding the nano BL to the chain is a step up for my portable setup. For the record, the headphone scales well for $80 headphone but my other headphones are more dynamic and provide better result with my main setup . As for now, I am gonna get the nano BL for my portable setup so that I can continue use the Pro 82 anywhere else as they pair well with each other and because I am still reaching my other headphones when I am listening to desktop setup. Nevertheless, I am liking what I hear now :dt880smile:

In the past, I only had the chance listen to some of the popular headphones out there but some of the high end headphones kill my interest when I listened to them. I am not a fan of Focal Utopia + wa33 + A 5k dac that I am not familiar with (a setup that I listened to at the previous Canjam) that could cost up to 5 digits USD. When I said that I am not a fan, of course the price does add to the matter. I would not spend for something that could only better my setup by tiny margin. The Pro 82 is some of the rare cases that I've encountered so far. The hype lives up to my expectation at the least. Then again, it is really up to our own preferences. As long as we enjoy what we listen to, nothing else matter I think. In the end, I am not listening to the headphone but the music :)

Jan 20, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #1,069 of 4,538
I find they show the recording for what it is, if the mixing is bass shy it will be, if the track is a bass monster my head will rumble.

The bass note / kick drum at the start of this track massive on both of my Pro 82's

Yup, can confirm, it makes me feel the kick of the drum, reverberating a little. It makes sense what you said, these are transparent, so a song with little bass will feel like that. It might be a good way for people complaining about the bass to test their 82. If you can't at least feel the bass kicking and reverberating a little at the beginning, then something might be amiss.

On another note, thanks for the share, I will listen to more songs from her, I really enjoyed this one! If you have more songs similar to this, feel free to share :D

Anyway, I've got enough other stuff to enjoy so I'm probably just going to write up the $70 spent on these as money out the window and move on.

Just sell them second hand, you barely used them, at least you can get some of it back :)

Jan 20, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #1,070 of 4,538
On another note, thanks for the share, I will listen to more songs from her, I really enjoyed this one! If you have more songs similar to this, feel free to share :D

Both tracks from the 2017 album Grace if you want to check it out, really well produced album :)

Jan 20, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #1,071 of 4,538
Got Takstar HI 2050 a few days ago -- promised to write some brief comparison to Pro 82. Did some burn-in (~50hrs) and listen to my "test mix" before their journey to my mother in law. Honestly, they are not bad per se, but anyway MILES AND MILES behind Pro 82 as sound quality goes. Detail is lost, muffled and velvety as its pads, bass is not that extended and bloated, trebles seems rolled off (compared to Pro 82!), vocals lack clarity and don't feel as natural. Reminds me of my Walkman when its head was out of alignment (and made me mad afterwards). Putting Pro 82 on my head is like opening the window and let the fresh air pour in. If not for the [semi]open design, I would happily invest 30 bucks more for Pro 82... but construction was mandatory requirement :frowning2:

Half the price, less than half sound quality here. But I can understand rave reviews when you have not much to compare with. Or you don't enjoy analytical headphones as such. It's a long journey.

Jan 20, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #1,072 of 4,538
It makes sense what you said, these are transparent, so a song with little bass will feel like that.

I've got the same experience with DT-1350 so I'm not surprised at all. DT-1350 are famous for their sub-bass -- and if the song/equipment is able to produce it, you can enjoy it and vice versa. Opened my ears a lot. I'm not keen on Quincy Jones, but I admit his mastering is very pinpoint. Michael Jackson albums are such example. Another is his own album "Back on the block", engineering masterpiece. Sadly music sucks for me :-D Much better is "Basie and beyond", good to test big band busy sound. But I prefer less cultivated acid jazz after all.

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #1,073 of 4,538
Got Takstar HI 2050 a few days ago -- promised to write some brief comparison to Pro 82. Did some burn-in (~50hrs) and listen to my "test mix" before their journey to my mother in law. Honestly, they are not bad per se, but anyway MILES AND MILES behind Pro 82 as sound quality goes. Detail is lost, muffled and velvety as its pads, bass is not that extended and bloated, trebles seems rolled off (compared to Pro 82!), vocals lack clarity and don't feel as natural. Reminds me of my Walkman when its head was out of alignment (and made me mad afterwards). Putting Pro 82 on my head is like opening the window and let the fresh air pour in. If not for the [semi]open design, I would happily invest 30 bucks more for Pro 82... but construction was mandatory requirement :frowning2:

Half the price, less than half sound quality here. But I can understand rave reviews when you have not much to compare with. Or you don't enjoy analytical headphones as such. It's a long journey.
Great comparison, added it to post #2

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #1,074 of 4,538

I bought the HI 2050 two or three years ago and still using it at the office. Need an open back to be able to hear my surroundings. At first I didn't like it much. Treble was too hot, bass was lacking. I must put a piece of cloth to cover driver to tame the treble.

After a few months my ears and brain became adjusted to its sound signature and now I can listen to it for videos and games, but not so much for music.

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #1,075 of 4,538
I find they show the recording for what it is, if the mixing is bass shy it will be, if the track is a bass monster my head will rumble.

The bass note / kick drum at the start of this track massive on both of my Pro 82's

It certainly shook my head, even with no bass boost.
With HA-2's bass boost it was very similar to TH-900MK2 - but still tighter, with less decay.

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #1,076 of 4,538
With HA-2's bass boost it was very similar to TH-900MK2 - but still tighter, with less decay.
Oh yeah, the boost slider's they ruin the Imaging for me.

Well recorded, mixed, mastered in any genre sound great to me on these :), lacking masters sound just that lacking. That is what I look for in a headphone these are my favorites at the mo for sure.

Even with Youtubes crappy compression the imaging and quality of the mixing / production sounds A1 on the Pro82 (the Flac is much better though)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #1,077 of 4,538
Just sell them second hand, you barely used them, at least you can get some of it back :)

I wouldn't feel comfortable selling a potentially defective product....

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #1,078 of 4,538
Received mine from tomtop

Packaging was good enough. Anti-fake check showed its a genuine takstar made, so that's good

Intitial impressions - super comfy(exactly mdr-1a in this regard). They seem slightly bass-light(ports closed) but it could change with usage

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #1,079 of 4,538
the background on these seems a little bright. Bass has a slight amount of bloom when it should extend a little more solid. Despite being a little bright they have no sparkle or bite. Some might say they find it smooth and refined, but I say it's a little washed out on busy tracks.

I was unable to find any EQ to dial out the bright glare. I think it might be due to resonances inside the cup enclosure. They sound accurate enough as is for the price, but IMO they are not without their faults. They still compare to headphones 3 times the price though. Soundstage is slightly above average, imaging is also slightly above average imo.

The party piece of this can seems to be the comfort.

Jan 21, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #1,080 of 4,538

Definitely no shaking of head here without bass boost. Audible but not authoritative. With one notch open, sounded much better, open all the way too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back