Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 9, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #901 of 4,538
Just an observation regarding the rattle coming from everyones left driver on this test. I had a similar experience after modding my T20RPs. Turned out it was the 3.5mm jack which is on the left side. I dampened the jack casing with some plasticine and it went away. As it's everyones left side and no ones right I imagine it's probably the 2.5mm jack. When I get my Pro 82s I'll confirm this if no one has by that time.

Edited as per bunkball's observation. The Pro 82 has a 2.5mm jack not a 3.5mm jack.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #902 of 4,538
Just an observation regarding the rattle coming from everyones left driver on this test. I had a similar experience after modding my T20RPs. Turned out it was the 3.5mm jack which is on the left side. I dampened the jack casing with some plasticine and it went away. As it's everyones left side and no ones right I imagine it's probably the 3.5mm jack. When I get my Pro 82s I'll confirm this if no one has by that time.
It's a very interesting hypothesis you got there. But on the left side there's no 3.5mm connector, did you mean the 2.5mm 4-pole connector?

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #903 of 4,538
It's not just vibration, it's a distinct rattle of the driver (like a knocking noise), and it's only the left driver, but as I mentioned earlier, I've never heard it on anything but that test and at higher volume than I listen to the headphones anyway, and like @BenF said, I found listening to it very unpleasant -- and I don't mean because of the rattle, but to the contrary, the parts that didn't rattle were more unpleasant at that volume.
I listen to high volume level so this is quite concerning matter to me. But as you said, I've yet to hear the rattle on songs, but then I'm still at low hours on these, so who knows if it happens in the future. I certainly don't hope so though.

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #905 of 4,538
I just took the "Poorly built or extensively worn headphones may start to rattle whenever loud or deep bass content is played" statement at face value. The rattle might come from badly constructed drivers, as my other 2 dynamic headphones (M100 and XB950) don't suffer from the same problem.

The Pro 82 itself is a great headphones as a whole though. I just played 3 straight hours on CSGO, and its positional cues and imaging trumps my M1060 completely. It also has wider soundstage than the M1060 which is an open back headphone. Separation and layering is much better than M1060 too. Vocals and treble are not too great though, both are too harsh for my liking. Might do some mods as mentioned in the previous threads.
TH00, TH900 and HD800 produce more rattle than Pro 82, but M100 and XB950 produce less.
Since no one would ever claim that M100 and XB950 are better built than TH900 or HD800, this proves how useless this test is.
You live, you learn :jecklinsmile:

The Pro 82 itself is a great headphones as a whole though. I just played 3 straight hours on CSGO, and its positional cues and imaging trumps my M1060 completely. It also has wider soundstage than the M1060 which is an open back headphone. Separation and layering is much better than M1060 too.
Wouldn't be the first time Pro 82's soundstage and imaging are compared favorably with an open headphone...

Vocals and treble are not too great though, both are too harsh for my liking. Might do some mods as mentioned in the previous threads.
As you already know - tuning foams and/or O2+Idea will help with that.

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #906 of 4,538
Since no one would ever claim that M100 and XB950 are better built than TH900 or HD800, this proves how useless this test is.
I don't know what do you mean by "better built", the M100 is literally a tank. You can never destroy it (not really), but its very well built and sturdy. I don't think anything can top that. But at that price, it also sound like crap, so it doesn't matter much.

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #907 of 4,538
As you already know - tuning foams and/or O2+Idea will help with that.
Yeah, I already bought all three, the foam (the round one), iDEA and O2, because of you (I blame you for wasting my money on all 4 of them XD).

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #909 of 4,538
Pro 82 does have some slight rattle in the beginning and end of the test, but not as much as B8.
Big surprise (or not at all?) - TH900MK2 has A LOT MORE rattle in the beginning and end of the test, it's very easily noticeable.
Kinda makes sense, since Fostex has boomier bass.

TH00, TH900 and HD800 produce more rattle than Pro 82, but M100 and XB950 produce less.
After reading your posts a few times, I think you're confusing rattle to bass rumble. Rattling is a very irritating sound and should never be okay in headphones or speakers. But as a basshead myself considers bass rumble as pleasant and more rumble is obviously okay. That is why the test is called as "bass shaker". If you ever had listened to a speaker with torn diaphragm on bassy tracks, that is what I hear on the Pro 82. The sound is not from the driver itself, the rattling occurs as a result of something (sounds like plastic) vibrates vigorously and rapidly.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #911 of 4,538
After reading your posts a few times, I think you're confusing rattle to bass rumble. Rattling is a very irritating sound and should never be okay in headphones or speakers. But as a basshead myself considers bass rumble as pleasant and more rumble is obviously okay. That is why the test is called as "bass shaker". If you ever had listened to a speaker with torn diaphragm on bassy tracks, that is what I hear on the Pro 82. The sound is not from the driver itself, the rattling occurs as a result of something (sounds like plastic) vibrates vigorously and rapidly.
Trust me, I'm talking about rattling.
Fostex TH900Mk2 has so much rattling, it makes me think that somebody in Japan is missing their keys.
@Random54 floated an interesting theory, but TH900MK2 is dual-entry, and the cable connectors are outside the cups.
Plus, the rattle seems to come almost exclusively from the left side.
Combined with impressions of others that heard rattling on the left side, it makes me think that this test doesn't produce the same signal on both channels.

Jan 9, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #912 of 4,538
Trust me, I'm talking about rattling.
Fostex TH900Mk2 has so much rattling, it makes me think that somebody in Japan is missing their keys.
@Random54 floated an interesting theory, but TH900MK2 is dual-entry, and the cable connectors are outside the cups.
Plus, the rattle seems to come almost exclusively from the left side.
Combined with impressions of others that heard rattling on the left side, it makes me think that this test doesn't produce the same signal on both channels.
I had some discussion with @ahmadfaizadnan on PMs, and he said he had no such behavior (rattling as I described above) on all his headphones (even on his HD800). :thonking:

Jan 9, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #913 of 4,538
I've read that the 2.5mm jack on the Pro 82 headphones is balanced capable - ground is separated for L and R, so a four pole TRRS cable could be used to a balanced amplifier to drive the headphones (I have an Onkyo DAP with a 2.5mm TRRS balanced output as an option). Has anyone tried the Pro 82 with a balanced cable and balanced amp yet? Anyone know of a source for an affordable 2.5mm to 2.5mm TRRS headphone cable?

Jan 9, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #914 of 4,538
I've had my Pro82s for over a month now and really enjoy them for portable use. The comfort is unbeatable, sound isolation is great, and the low end is very controlled.

A question for everyone in the thread, has anyone taken these headphones apart (or at least removed the pads)? I was thinking of adding a Bluetooth receiver inside the headphones but I'm not sure I'll be able to get the pads on again. If anyone has some details on their experience (maybe even pictures) that would be much appreciated.

I know a guy that is using Taotronics TT-BR05, and says that, as long as he charges them every night, that one works. He mentioned 7-10h of usage per charge.

Jan 9, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #915 of 4,538
I've had my Pro82s for over a month now and really enjoy them for portable use. The comfort is unbeatable, sound isolation is great, and the low end is very controlled.

A question for everyone in the thread, has anyone taken these headphones apart (or at least removed the pads)? I was thinking of adding a Bluetooth receiver inside the headphones but I'm not sure I'll be able to get the pads on again. If anyone has some details on their experience (maybe even pictures) that would be much appreciated.
Adding any foreign body in the cups will screw up the sound, and that's even before you consider RFI/EMI caused by BT.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back