Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 25, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #2,417 of 4,535
Been listening to these for the past couple of days through my ES100 and I've come away very impressed. Out of the box, the treble is a little hot, but I can easily EQ via ES100 app. The stock earpads were a bit deformed with poor stitching, so I replaced them with the perforated earpads from my SIVGA SV002 (which I put Meze 99 earpads on). I also have the Sony MDR-1A, which Pro 82 is obviously a clone of, but honestly, I enjoy the Pro 82 more. I find the MDR-1A a little more closed and a little less transparent. Additionally, the Pro 82 is far more responsive to EQ. I honestly wasn't expecting them to be as good as they are. I received the 1st Gen version in the white box from Amazon, which has the ridiculously long, thick cable. I was able to use the Sennheiser PXC 550 cable, however.

IMG_2114.jpg IMG_2115.jpg

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #2,418 of 4,535
Changed things up and added the BrainWavz Sheepskin pads for the Sony MDR-7506 which fit great. I found most earpads I can attach by just wrapping them around the earcups themselves vs. attaching them to the plastic ring.

These pads really improve the bass quality & quantity and slightly enhance isolation, but isolation with these headphones isn't great anyway. They also add a high-end feel to the headphones and smell GREAT! Loving these so far.

IMG_2117.jpg
IMG_2118.jpg IMG_2119.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #2,420 of 4,535
I finally managed to find a chance to compare my office pair Takstar Pro82 and home pair Sony MDR-1a as direct A-B. DAC SMSL SU8, amp SMSL SAP II solid state & Loxjie P20 tube hybrid.

IMO, Takstar sounds better. More controlled, faster bass (adjustable with the "bass slot", third slot is junk tho), clearer mids (vocals, acoustic instruments) and crisper, non piercing highs. Soundstage are similar in both sets. Both of them seem not to care whether they are plugged into tube/solid state.

In contrast, MDR1a has Sony's old house sound which has the typical " average consumer oriented sound" if I can put it that way. In comparison with Pro82 the Sony's bass sounds less coherent , vocals seem veiled, and there is no crisp in the highs.

End of the day, I will pick Pro82 over MDR1a anytime, every time. Pro82 being more comfortable is a bonus, not to say MDR1a is uncomfortable in anyway tho. One thing about Takstar is that when you fold it over to place it on your neck, it will awkwardly fold in a way that the ear cups will be facing outwards, unlike the Sony, which is more conventional with the ear cups facing inwards.

Why this took me more than a year to do an A-B after having both for more than a year is beyond me....

Hamster

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #2,421 of 4,535
Zeos has made a review about Cooler Master MH751 The most interesting part (for me) is that it has bigger earcups than Pro 82. I would love to see a direct comparison or at least a frequency graph of this version.
From his description, it sounds like it has the V2 drivers inside, and boy - does he prefer V2 sound over V1!
Somebody should suggest to him to get V2 and compare the two versions.

The cups on MH751 were clearly made deeper to accommodate the mic and 3.5mm cable, don't know if Takstar had any work done on re-tuning the drivers for the larger cups.
Asked TakstarAudio to get some info on changes made for MH751, and possibly releasing a new Pro 82 version with deeper cups.
Pro 84 maybe?

Zeos surely talks a lot about Pro 82 in his reviews of other headphones, but he usually mentions its unparalleled comfort.
Don't think he ever provided a clear description of its SQ and SS, after all this time.

However, Zeos' review did raise my curiosity, so I purchased MH751.
Since I'm on a very long vacation, I won't be able to measure it for at least couple more weeks - left my measuring head at home.

Feb 28, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #2,422 of 4,535
I love the Pro 82 as well, so I sprang for the MH752 just for giggles to compare. I also want to see how the faux 7.1 adapter plays with other headphones. For under $100 it's not much of a risk. What's of greater concern is the estimated 1-2 month shipping estimate on Amazon. :frowning2:

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #2,423 of 4,535
I love the Pro 82 as well, so I sprang for the MH752 just for giggles to compare. I also want to see how the faux 7.1 adapter plays with other headphones. For under $100 it's not much of a risk. What's of greater concern is the estimated 1-2 month shipping estimate on Amazon. :frowning2:
MH751 is available from a 3rd party seller immediately, if you are willing to pay the full price (80$ instead of 70$).

Mar 1, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #2,424 of 4,535
Zeos surely talks a lot about Pro 82 in his reviews of other headphones, but he usually mentions its unparalleled comfort.
Don't think he ever provided a clear description of its SQ and SS, after all this time.

He speaks about the imaging and how great it is, that is what pushed me to get them to try out for gaming over a year ago.

V1 are still my imaging kings for gaming using Dolby surround on my Astro mixamp. Coolermaster should have a hit on its hands if word gets out.

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #2,425 of 4,535
I finally managed to find a chance to compare my office pair Takstar Pro82 and home pair Sony MDR-1a as direct A-B. DAC SMSL SU8, amp SMSL SAP II solid state & Loxjie P20 tube hybrid.

IMO, Takstar sounds better. More controlled, faster bass (adjustable with the "bass slot", third slot is junk tho), clearer mids (vocals, acoustic instruments) and crisper, non piercing highs. Soundstage are similar in both sets. Both of them seem not to care whether they are plugged into tube/solid state.

In contrast, MDR1a has Sony's old house sound which has the typical " average consumer oriented sound" if I can put it that way. In comparison with Pro82 the Sony's bass sounds less coherent , vocals seem veiled, and there is no crisp in the highs.

End of the day, I will pick Pro82 over MDR1a anytime, every time. Pro82 being more comfortable is a bonus, not to say MDR1a is uncomfortable in anyway tho. One thing about Takstar is that when you fold it over to place it on your neck, it will awkwardly fold in a way that the ear cups will be facing outwards, unlike the Sony, which is more conventional with the ear cups facing inwards.

Why this took me more than a year to do an A-B after having both for more than a year is beyond me....

Hamster
100% agree. I have recently auditioned MDR-1A in a Best Buy - it's nowhere near Pro 82's SQ.
Added your impressions to the 2nd and 3rd post.

Mar 1, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #2,426 of 4,535
100% agree. I have recently auditioned MDR-1A in a Best Buy - it's nowhere near Pro 82's SQ.
Running the Pro 82 balanced over my ES100 (LDAC); sounds spectacular. In direct comparison, it makes my MDR-1A sound dull, muffled, and bloated.

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #2,427 of 4,535
Nice thanks, although I don't like your fanboy attitude towards Pro82 and be quite harsh on those who do not agree with you. Each of their own I should say, HP game is subjective and anyone can have their opinions and preferences of one model and one should not force their opinion over another. Have a great day sir.

Hamster.

Mar 2, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #2,428 of 4,535
I had MDR-1A for a while (I borrowed them from a buddy of mine) and i think i actually liked them more than Pro 82. Especially Sonys midrange had more body and presence on it compared to hollow and tinny quality of Takstars making it somewhat more natural sounding headphone overall. I have to agree though that the bass bloat kind of ruined them, other than that they were pretty pleasant sounding headphones. But fanboys wearing rose colored Takstar-sunglasses are completely free to disagree with me. :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #2,429 of 4,535
fanboys wearing rose colored Takstar-sunglasses are completely free to disagree with me. :sunglasses:

I am glad you like your headphone, we all use vessels to listen to music, we all like different tuning's.
So much choice, so many great headphones and music to enjoy with them :)

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #2,430 of 4,535
I had MDR-1A for a while (I borrowed them from a buddy of mine) and i think i actually liked them more than Pro 82. Especially Sonys midrange had more body and presence on it compared to hollow and tinny quality of Takstars making it somewhat more natural sounding headphone overall. I have to agree though that the bass bloat kind of ruined them, other than that they were pretty pleasant sounding headphones. But fanboys wearing rose colored Takstar-sunglasses are completely free to disagree with me. :sunglasses:
I still have my MDR-1A and enjoy them, but the tuning does not seem as refined, so I need to play with the EQ a bit more.

As with most headphones, I have to EQ the Pro 82 a bit to get them to sound "great" (to me). Aside from being a little hot in the treble region, they are quite responsive (and easy) to EQ. I tame the treble, add a small mid bump, and pump the lows up via ES100 (LDAC, balanced). I am far from enjoying a "neutral" signature. What's most impressive, however, is the price/performance ratio, the responsiveness to EQ, and the overall transparency the headphones convey at a sub-$100 price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back