Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 30, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #2,116 of 4,538
Hello, I was wondering if anybody has the Audio Technica ATH-WS1100is to compare these to? I'm currently stuck between choosing between the Pro 82's and the WS1100is. I prefer a balanced sound (leaning towards warm), and will mainly use it indoors for music and gaming.

I also have both, although I've never listened to them back to back, and they're not even in the same location presently; just from memory, I prefer the WS1100is as they sound less sterile/boring to me than the Pro82, which sound very clean but sterile to me. The Pro82 do have the benefit of having the bass boost switch, the use of which seems to be discouraged by most I've read, but I found that I did occasionally in fact like to thicken the sound a bit by opening it up one position.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #2,117 of 4,538
I have both. I personally prefer the WS1100is. I'm not usually a fan of Audio Technica because they tend to either overdo the bass (ATH-M50x) underdo it (ATH-MSR7) or roll it off too soon (ATH-AD900) for my personal tastes, but I feel like the WS1100is hits close to the sweet spot for me. I haven't listened to the Pro 82 back to back with the WS1100is though - I'll try to remember to do that and report back here if you're interested.

I'd be interested to hear your opinions on these 2 headphones!

I also have both, although I've never listened to them back to back, and they're not even in the same location presently; just from memory, I prefer the WS1100is as they sound less sterile/boring to me than the Pro82, which sound very clean but sterile to me. The Pro82 do have the benefit of having the bass boost switch, the use of which seems to be discouraged by most I've read, but I found that I did occasionally in fact like to thicken the sound a bit by opening it up one position.

Would you consider the WS1100is to be very V-shaped? I find that headphones that are too V-sounding gives me a headache easily, so I usually prefer a more balanced sound.

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #2,118 of 4,538
Is Reloop SHP-8 is the same as this?

general_3.jpg

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #2,119 of 4,538
Yeah, that looks like a rebranded more expensive version of the Pro 82.

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #2,121 of 4,538
According to that cable with a metal cap over the end jack in the picture, that should be a Pro 82 v1.
(Cable in Pro 82 v2 came with all ends in plastic, if I recall correctly).

Yes, it does look like either v1 or v0.9 rebrand. Of course, it could be a whole different tuning altogether - will know more in a couple of weeks, when I'll get them.

I know I promised to post about v1 and v0.9 differences, hopefully will get to it later today.

Jul 31, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #2,122 of 4,538
Yes, it does look like either v1 or v0.9 rebrand. Of course, it could be a whole different tuning altogether - will know more in a couple of weeks, when I'll get them.
If there is yet another revision out there, this is getting crazy! :fearful:
Wish Takstar were active on Head-Fi to clarify...

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #2,124 of 4,538
I have tested P10 with really inefficient and hard to drive HE-400.
With the 2Vrms input from ELE EL-D01, P10 gets plenty loud before the 4PM mark (where it starts distorting).

This combo even makes HE-400S sound pretty good (it's very boring otherwise), but with HE-400 the sound is phenomenal.
I got stuck listening to HE-400 for a few hours last night, even though I haven't touched it in a couple of years.

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #2,125 of 4,538
I'd be interested to hear your opinions on these 2 headphones!

Would you consider the WS1100is to be very V-shaped? I find that headphones that are too V-sounding gives me a headache easily, so I usually prefer a more balanced sound.

The WS1100is is slightly V-shaped. The low end extends down into the sub-bass frequencies with low distortion and doesn't come across as very exaggerated, which I think is great (not many headphones can do this). The bass doesn't 'bleed' into the mids. For the highs, they are somewhat elevated. When I do a frequency sweep, I detect three treble frequency peaks, but they are not so much as to be aggravating. When listening, those treble peaks will give you the impression that you're hearing more detail in your music (I don't think you really are, but that's what it will sound like).

I have the Takstar Pro 82 v1 (earlier model with the longer cable). With the bass ports closed, while there is some sub-bass there, it comes across as somewhat subdued to me and the midrange and some of the highs overpower it on most recordings where I know there is sub-bass. Bringing the low frequencies up with the bass switches in the middle position raises the sub-bass to a better place, but then the mid-bass gets pushed up too high in my opinion, and there's also some added distortion. When I do frequency sweeps, I detect four treble frequency peaks, and a couple of them are pretty intense relative to the rest of the frequency range.

One nice thing about the WS1100is is it can take any number of standard oval replacement earpads (like the many kinds that Brainwavz and others make). The stock pads on the WS1100is are somewhat unique in that they are fast rebound foam with a relatively thin wall that's not that deep. Stock pads are pretty comfortable, and while the tips of my ears might touch inside, it's not in a way that I notice (I have an XL size head, and that makes some headphones uncomfortable for me, but I'd classify both the WS1100is and Pro 82 as very comfortable headphones for my head). I just tried six different types of oval pads on the WS1100is and they each affect the sound in different ways (subtle and not so subtle). If you're looking for something affordable that's thicker/different than the stock pads, the Brainwavz Hybrid pads sounds fairly close to the stock sound. The most comfortable pads I've tried are the Shure HPAEC1540 (Alcantara earpads for the SRH1540), though they do raise the bass a bit (not in a way that overpowers the mids or highs, it just brings up the bass in the clean way).

With the Pro 82, you're more limited because you'd have the destroy the stock pads and salvage the mounting ring from them, then slightly modify other earpads to fit on the mounting ring, making room for the clips on the ring. As a result, I haven't tried other ear pads on the Pro 82. Stock ones are comfortable on my head, even though they are shallow.

Hope that helps. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help describe what they're both like.

Aug 6, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #2,126 of 4,538
Does anyone know where I could get a shorter cable for the Pro 82? The cable I got with it is way too long for use outdoors but I can't find any cables with these terminations on offer anywhere.

Aug 6, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #2,127 of 4,538
Aug 6, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #2,128 of 4,538
Will these work, though? The original cable has a TRRS jack on headphone side, and these cables you linked have TRS.

Aug 6, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #2,129 of 4,538
Aug 6, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #2,130 of 4,538
Smashing, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back