Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 25, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #1,516 of 4,538
I currently don't have any external amps but I typically use 3 devices for sources.

ZTE Axon 7 (ak4490en DAC, AK4961 codec)
Lenovo Vibe X3 (ess sabre9018c2m DAC, 3 x OPA1612 amp)
PC/Gigabyte z170x Gaming 7 (Core3Di Chipset, OPA2134 amp)

Would the Takstar Pro 82 sound good on any of these?
Since they all have good DACs, I suggest pulling the trigger and buy the Pro 82. It will sound good in any of them and just decide which combo you like best later on.

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #1,517 of 4,538
So I was wondering how the pro 82 would compare to my beloved sennheiser hd25 because I really need over ear headphones and also my hd25 hurt my ears pretty bad, like when I say bad I can't wear them for even 1 hour. So need a replacement

Feb 25, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #1,518 of 4,538
So I was wondering how the pro 82 would compare to my beloved sennheiser hd25 because I really need over ear headphones and also my hd25 hurt my ears pretty bad, like when I say bad I can't wear them for even 1 hour. So need a replacement

Comfort wise the Pro 82s should be miles ahead there.

Feb 25, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #1,520 of 4,538
Just a heads up regarding potential cable issues... I recently got a Pro 82 in a swap with another member, and indications are the cable was bad, likely from day 1 with the original owner. I immediately noticed that sub-bass was rolled off, treble was uneven, and most tellingly, the left and right channels were not separated properly (not mono, but not a proper stereo). I had experienced something very similar before with a cable that came with a refurbished Sol Republic Tracks HD Ultra I'd bought a couple of years ago, and getting a replacement cable for those solved the issue, and the same was true for these Takstar Pro 82's. Fortunately I have a Beyerdynamic DT 240 Pro which comes with a 2.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS cable, and it fits the Pro 82, and sure enough, sound across the board is improved with that cable and now the sound largely matches what most people described (sub-bass presence, highs, and most tellingly the proper stereo imaging is there). The Pro 82 in question is a white box version that came in the case and came with the longer cable, bought from the ebay seller "superstore201" (not currently selling any Pro 82's). Since I can't seem to find anyone selling an official Takstar cable for the Pro 82 anywhere, I ordered one of these for now (this cable looks like a good option in general since it has metal sheaths on the jacks and isn't overly thick like the stock cable):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0186LAWFC

I'm not sure if I can entirely yet rule out that could be some sort of issue with the TRRS socket in the headphone cup that using a TRS cable somehow resolves, but I think that it is pretty unlikely. Does anyone with the tools and electronics skills have an interest in doing a postmortem analysis of the original, likely faulty cable to determine how it's gone wrong?

Feb 25, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #1,521 of 4,538
BTW how are the superlux HD 330 compared to the pro 82

I haven't had a direct comparison but from what I remember the 330s sound warmer and a darker compared to the Pro 82 which sound relatively clearer.
I did mod the 330 by removing the foam pads and using HM5 Pads.
The 82s are surprisingly good at gaming for a closed headphone.
I still haven't fully burnt them in though. They might be even better after.
Paramore sounds amazing on these.

Feb 27, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #1,522 of 4,538
I haven't had a direct comparison but from what I remember the 330s sound warmer and a darker compared to the Pro 82 which sound relatively clearer.
I did mod the 330 by removing the foam pads and using HM5 Pads.
The 82s are surprisingly good at gaming for a closed headphone.
I still haven't fully burnt them in though. They might be even better after.
Paramore sounds amazing on these.
Listen to this:

This would have been a perfect The Civil Wars song....

Feb 27, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #1,523 of 4,538
Just a heads up regarding potential cable issues... I recently got a Pro 82 in a swap with another member, and indications are the cable was bad, likely from day 1 with the original owner. I immediately noticed that sub-bass was rolled off, treble was uneven, and most tellingly, the left and right channels were not separated properly (not mono, but not a proper stereo). I had experienced something very similar before with a cable that came with a refurbished Sol Republic Tracks HD Ultra I'd bought a couple of years ago, and getting a replacement cable for those solved the issue, and the same was true for these Takstar Pro 82's. Fortunately I have a Beyerdynamic DT 240 Pro which comes with a 2.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS cable, and it fits the Pro 82, and sure enough, sound across the board is improved with that cable and now the sound largely matches what most people described (sub-bass presence, highs, and most tellingly the proper stereo imaging is there). The Pro 82 in question is a white box version that came in the case and came with the longer cable, bought from the ebay seller "superstore201" (not currently selling any Pro 82's). Since I can't seem to find anyone selling an official Takstar cable for the Pro 82 anywhere, I ordered one of these for now (this cable looks like a good option in general since it has metal sheaths on the jacks and isn't overly thick like the stock cable):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0186LAWFC

I'm not sure if I can entirely yet rule out that could be some sort of issue with the TRRS socket in the headphone cup that using a TRS cable somehow resolves, but I think that it is pretty unlikely. Does anyone with the tools and electronics skills have an interest in doing a postmortem analysis of the original, likely faulty cable to determine how it's gone wrong?
Here is a great Pro 82 cable with a mic: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Upg...ack-Cable-Mic-For-Bose-Quiet/32810246600.html

Feb 27, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #1,524 of 4,538
Listen to this:

This would have been a perfect The Civil Wars song....

But but... both Hayley and Joy are wearing a M50X in the video. Doesn't that mean M50Xs are the best? :darthsmile:

Feb 27, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #1,525 of 4,538
So..how many of you bastards am I competing against for the lottery?:bow_and_arrow: :angry: :knife: Cease and desist now.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #1,526 of 4,538
But but... both Hayley and Joy are wearing a M50X in the video. Doesn't that mean M50Xs are the best? :darthsmile:
Nope that doesn't mean anything there are alot of headphones much cheaper than the m50x and beat it in miles from sound to comfort. But also zeos said in his review that the m50x are meant for monitoring and all the sound is right there in the cups. But if you already have m50x and want to get rid of the harshness and also want the forward midrange that slap some velour pads on from aliexpress or hm5 ones.

Feb 28, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #1,527 of 4,538
Nope that doesn't mean anything there are alot of headphones much cheaper than the m50x and beat it in miles from sound to comfort. But also zeos said in his review that the m50x are meant for monitoring and all the sound is right there in the cups. But if you already have m50x and want to get rid of the harshness and also want the forward midrange that slap some velour pads on from aliexpress or hm5 ones.
I'm just memeing bruh. In all seriousness, in pure music listening while on the go I prefer listening to M40X than both M50X and Pro82 because it has superb synergy and musicality when driven on Chord Mojo. Pro 82 is too thin sounding out of any portable amps in my possession.

Feb 28, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #1,528 of 4,538
I'm just memeing bruh. In all seriousness, in pure music listening while on the go I prefer listening to M40X than both M50X and Pro82 because it has superb synergy and musicality when driven on Chord Mojo. Pro 82 is too thin sounding out of any portable amps in my possession.
Can you please do a slightly more indepth comparison between the 3 headphones you just mentioned?
I have the m50x and my friend has the m40x. Does the Pro 82 still sound thin with your Desktop (Office) setup?
If you could compare the 3 that would be fantastic thank you.

Feb 28, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #1,529 of 4,538
I agree m40x are flat kinds under 200$ but if the pro 82 sound thin than put foam pieces that increases the mid and slightly quels the highs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back