Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 26, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #3,992 of 4,538
Hello, Hello, today im testing the foam pads, the round and the oval ones, but i just realised that my Pads are getting old, so i need to replace them soon, Does takstar sell replacement pads for the V1, and how do i change them? did anyone already change the pads?

May 27, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #3,993 of 4,538
any sound improvement?

Depends on the source:

On the balanced output of BTR3K, Pro 82 v2 sounds even more transparent, loses some of the "tube-y" tone of the unbalanced output. Bass slams just as hard, if not harder, and gains some extra control.
Important - make sure when using BTR3K wired, to disconnect it from your smartphone to avoid interference.

On the balanced output of SMSL IQ - slightly drier bass, vocal tonality is off - Brandy Clark sounds wonky. Definitely prefer 3.5mm

On the balanced output of Sabaj DA3 - bass slams harder, pure joy! Also - better tonality of female vocals, better transparency and larger soundstage. A big improvement overall.

On the balanced output of Shanling UA2 - huge improvement over 3.5mm in practically everything, but still not as good sounding as other options (will post more detailed impressions of UA2 soon)

I definitely recommend to try the balanced option to anyone who has BTR3K or DA3, could be a gamble with other sources.

Be careful with the cables!
I bought two sets of balanced (2.5mm and 4.4mm) cables -
Cheap one (11-12$) - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001510009000.html
Expensive one (29$) - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002206690041.html

Unfortunately, the expensive (and beautiful) one doesn't work with Pro 82 - it sounds very bad, as if the cable isn't inserted all the way in.
Luckily, the cheap one sounds great, and it's also much lighter than the original 3.5mm Takstar cable - I prefer it for use on-the-go.

11490753.png

11490754.png

May 27, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #3,994 of 4,538
Hello, Hello, today im testing the foam pads, the round and the oval ones, but i just realised that my Pads are getting old, so i need to replace them soon, Does takstar sell replacement pads for the V1, and how do i change them? did anyone already change the pads?

The Takstar Official store sells Pro 82 pads, but it's not clear if they are original ones or not:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001757313097.html

Here are some non-original pads, from a store known for high-quality pads:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32906335150.html

Somebody in this thread did post replacement instructions before - try searching for them.
Hopefully this person can repost them.

BTW, before you start replacing pads, try cleaning them - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-262#post-16243542

May 28, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #3,995 of 4,538
I just bought the FiiO BTR3K. Will report about my impressions in few days when it arrives here.
And I'll have to look into balanced cables as well...
Thanks @BenF! (Or maybe not, stop recommending things! :p).

PS: Btw, for those in Spain (or Europe in general), the audio store Zococity has a great deal on it now in May (~60€).

May 30, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #3,996 of 4,538
Hello! I already have Takstar 82 pro, I soldered the balanced cable myself for E1DA PowerDAC v2, and now I'm thinking of taking the game version of Takstar GM200. How clear does the microphone sound when connected to the Xbox Series X console gamepad? Many simply use through a sound card and have not seen examples of using this microphone with a gamepad in the reviews.
And I also read that the GM200 microphone itself does not fit the 82 pro headphones, I noticed in the pictures that on the headphones and on the jack plug, there is a special protrusion for this, so that the connector would be fixed in the headphones. Is it because of him that the microphone does not fit into the 82 pro, since it interferes, or is the wiring different for these headphones?
Thank you.
Sorry for such a language, myself from Russia.

May 31, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #3,998 of 4,538
I'm looking to buy a pair of Taskar Pro82 on Aliexpress. Is $70.68 US after coupon & shipping the cheapest right now?
Shouldn't be more than $62 before coupons or tax. Gets cheaper with cashbacks and decent coupons ($5-$7), particularly through sales periods. There'll be sales next month.

If you can't get it a great deal lower than that in your region, you might be better off with the AKG K361 via Amazon (though I'd step up to the K371).

May 31, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #3,999 of 4,538
I'm looking to buy a pair of Taskar Pro82 on Aliexpress. Is $70.68 US after coupon & shipping the cheapest right now?
If you want a real Pro 82 v2 (meaning TakstarAudio) - yes. It's a shame that shipping to Canada is so expensive - 12.74$ for the Aliexpress Standard Shipping...
Make sure you buy it on the mobile app - your total will be 70.02$

Jun 1, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #4,000 of 4,538
Hello! I already have Takstar 82 pro, I soldered the balanced cable myself for E1DA PowerDAC v2, and now I'm thinking of taking the game version of Takstar GM200. How clear does the microphone sound when connected to the Xbox Series X console gamepad? Many simply use through a sound card and have not seen examples of using this microphone with a gamepad in the reviews.
Should sound just as good as it would with a PC, it's a standard 3.5mm 4-pin jack

And I also read that the GM200 microphone itself does not fit the 82 pro headphones, I noticed in the pictures that on the headphones and on the jack plug, there is a special protrusion for this, so that the connector would be fixed in the headphones. Is it because of him that the microphone does not fit into the 82 pro, since it interferes, or is the wiring different for these headphones?
The microphone cable won't fit Pro 82 because of the protrusion

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #4,001 of 4,538
I just bought the FiiO BTR3K. Will report about my impressions in few days when it arrives here.

Got it today, but very busy day. Just tested it very briefly.

On first impression with Pro 82, not a big fan. Mine is v1, so highs are a tad up there, and with this combo it sounds a bit harsh to me. Bass quality is also degraded w.r.t. other devices: Mojo, HA-2, or even the Sonata HD Pro. Comparing with those as DAC/amp, connected by cable. But just for few mins, so take it with a grain of salt. Will listen to it more time for sure!

(Btw, found issues to play on Linux, as the BTR3K seems to only support 48kHz, and not even 44.1kHz? Pulseaudio is usually configured for red-book specs. Need to investigate on this issue further).

I’m limited to selecting different Bluetooth codecs, as I have an iPhone. From laptop (blue - SBC), overall sound is not my fav. From iPhone (light blue - AAC), I seemed to notice “some” improvement, but still not good enough. 😝

Looking forward to some kind of LDAC-emitting device that I can test it with. Or maybe ditch my iPhone once and for all.

Still, at present a bit disappointed about its performance with Pro 82, from this very first audition. However, I also connected the SHP9500S and felt that sound was nice and smooth there… Lately, I was using this hp more than Pro 82 (weather warming up), so it all might be simply due to a “brain trick”, let’s see… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jun 1, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #4,002 of 4,538
Got it today, but very busy day. Just tested it very briefly.

On first impression with Pro 82, not a big fan. Mine is v1, so highs are a tad up there, and with this combo it sounds a bit harsh to me. Bass quality is also degraded w.r.t. other devices: Mojo, HA-2, or even the Sonata HD Pro. Comparing with those as DAC/amp, connected by cable. But just for few mins, so take it with a grain of salt. Will listen to it more time for sure!

(Btw, found issues to play on Linux, as the BTR3K seems to only support 48kHz, and not even 44.1kHz? Pulseaudio is usually configured for red-book specs. Need to investigate on this issue further).

I’m limited to selecting different Bluetooth codecs, as I have an iPhone. From laptop (blue - SBC), overall sound is not my fav. From iPhone (light blue - AAC), I seemed to notice “some” improvement, but still not good enough. 😝

Looking forward to some kind of LDAC-emitting device that I can test it with. Or maybe ditch my iPhone once and for all.

Still, at present a bit disappointed about its performance with Pro 82, from this very first audition. However, I also connected the SHP9500S and felt that sound was nice and smooth there… Lately, I was using this hp more than Pro 82 (weather warming up), so it all might be simply due to a “brain trick”, let’s see… 🤷🏻‍♂️

LDAC will definitely sound better than AAC on the iPhone, it can reach 990Kbps. I usually use it at 660Kbps, because my phone can't maintain connection to BTR3K at 990 and communicate with my smartwatch at the same time.
It won't sound any better than wired though...

One advantage of using AAC or APTX, is that you can use the 10-band equalizer in the FIIO app - you can fix the v1 issues there. Not sure if the equalizer works wired too - probably not.

SBC is too be avoided at all costs.

Also, let's make sure that your BTR3K is configured correctly:
1) Windows volume and music player volume should always be set at 100% - volume should always be controlled only by BTR3K
2) Disable all the enhancements:
1607266707277.png

3) Disable spatial sound
1607266738368.png

4) Put BTR3K in the "High performance DAC work mode":
1607266891549.png

5) Tune the bass response to your taste by playing with the low-pass filter:
1607266968804.png

6) Make sure that you are running the latest v1.3 firmware - https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/451022.html

Jun 1, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #4,003 of 4,538
LDAC will definitely sound better than AAC on the iPhone, it can reach 990Kbps. I usually use it at 660Kbps, because my phone can't maintain connection to BTR3K at 990 and communicate with my smartwatch at the same time.
It won't sound any better than wired though...

One advantage of using AAC or APTX, is that you can use the 10-band equalizer in the FIIO app - you can fix the v1 issues there. Not sure if the equalizer works wired too - probably not.

SBC is too be avoided at all costs.

Also, let's make sure that your BTR3K is configured correctly:
1) Windows volume and music player volume should always be set at 100% - volume should always be controlled only by BTR3K
2) Disable all the enhancements:
1607266707277.png

3) Disable spatial sound
1607266738368.png

4) Put BTR3K in the "High performance DAC work mode":
1607266891549.png

5) Tune the bass response to your taste by playing with the low-pass filter:
1607266968804.png

6) Make sure that you are running the latest v1.3 firmware - https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/451022.html

Thanks @BenF for the detailed response. I’m usually on Linux, it detects the BTR3K as both analog and digital audio output interface. Whenever this happens, I set volume to max on “both” system devices and try to figure out which one is the actual digital out (sometimes labels are not correct). In any case, system volume is maxed out and sound volume is always controlled from the external device (if it has dedicated volume buttons).

No any sound processing added here, except for what Pulseaudio and ultimately ALSA can make to that signal by default (if anything). I use the HA-2 and the Mojo in the same way with no major issues.

I wanted to finally try some BT device, thinking it could be useful while I commute to work and later just use it connected by cable while at my desk.
For this last part… perhaps I would need to still carry those other DAC/amps in the end. 😂
For the BT part… getting used to it. I guess those suboptimal codecs had a great (negative) impact on my initial perception. On the other hand, for listening while on public transportation, it should be more than enough… maybe.

Next step, anyways, now that I have the thingy, is to try it balanced. Do you have already a decision on the best option for a compatible cable out there? 😜

Jun 2, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #4,004 of 4,538
Thanks @BenF for the detailed response. I’m usually on Linux, it detects the BTR3K as both analog and digital audio output interface. Whenever this happens, I set volume to max on “both” system devices and try to figure out which one is the actual digital out (sometimes labels are not correct). In any case, system volume is maxed out and sound volume is always controlled from the external device (if it has dedicated volume buttons).

No any sound processing added here, except for what Pulseaudio and ultimately ALSA can make to that signal by default (if anything). I use the HA-2 and the Mojo in the same way with no major issues.

I wanted to finally try some BT device, thinking it could be useful while I commute to work and later just use it connected by cable while at my desk.
For this last part… perhaps I would need to still carry those other DAC/amps in the end. 😂
For the BT part… getting used to it. I guess those suboptimal codecs had a great (negative) impact on my initial perception. On the other hand, for listening while on public transportation, it should be more than enough… maybe.

Next step, anyways, now that I have the thingy, is to try it balanced. Do you have already a decision on the best option for a compatible cable out there? 😜

Balanced cables are discussed here: Using Pro 82 with a balanced cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back