Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 10, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #3,781 of 4,538
A mystery package has arrived... :thinking:

1595658741328062.jpg

1595658740745490.jpg

I'm guessing it's one of the USB headsets... possibly the Forge?

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #3,782 of 4,538
My takstar has arrived today, i feel like the highs are overlooked by the other frequencies, in many songs. For example i've listened thriller and the highs are very low compared to bass and the other frequencies. Dunno probably the volume is still to low (unluckily i have on board audio e i'm at 100%), yet i feel like its quite high, i mean the bass and the drum are quite high so... i dont think i could go over than that (100%). Probably is the mastering of the songs that i've tried... dunno

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #3,783 of 4,538
Hey @BenF ,

I just started noticing that when I have the BTR3K set to max, or close to max volume, I get quite a bit of noise or static sound when it's playing sound. This is more noticeable when streaming music as the static lasts longer after pausing it, but its still there even when I listen to downloaded music, just only when its playing.

It's not unique to my PC as I've tried with another computer and it still has the noise. Different recordings and streaming sites too.

I've tried resetting and disconnecting bluetooth and it's still there.

Is this normal? I don't notice any noise when it's set to a normal listening volume, but maybe I just can't hear it as distinctly and it's still affecting the sound. Could it be the cable? I'd have to find another usb-c cable to use, as the one for my phone doesn't work with it. Maybe it's the v1.3 Firmware? Not sure if it was present before I updated, but It could've been.

EDIT: Removed the part about it only being with USB, it's still there with bluetooth too. Oh and just to be clear, it's only with the BTR3K, the other DAC and motherboard audio don't have it.

Thanks.

That's a super weird behavior - BTR3K (or any other DAC) doesn't know if the music is downloaded or streaming online, it really shouldn't matter.
I tested my BTR3K - no noise at any volume. Maybe your environment has more wireless noise? The Bluetooth module on BTR3K is always on, so it may pick up some noise.
Due to the very small size, BTR3K can't isolate between the densely packed components as good as larger devices.

Anyway, if the problem doesn't present itself at listenable volume - don't waste your time and just enjoy the music!

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #3,784 of 4,538
That's a super weird behavior - BTR3K (or any other DAC) doesn't know if the music is downloaded or streaming online, it really shouldn't matter.
I tested my BTR3K - no noise at any volume. Maybe you environment has more wireless noise? The Bluetooth module on BTR3K is always on, so it may pick up some noise.
Due to the very small size, BTR3K can't isolate between the densely packed components as good as larger devices.

Anyway, if the problem doesn't present itself at listenable volume - don't waste your time and just enjoy the music!

Yeah I think it has to do with how it auto shuts-off when there isn't a program playing audio, and the streaming apps keep it awake for longer because its downloading the music, which let me hear the static for a while after I pause it. To clarify, it still has static even with offline music playing on Musicbee, it just almost immediately shuts itself off when I pause it so I didn't notice it as much. But, after getting used to the sound of the static I started to notice it just happens all the time at that volume.

The volume control gets a little weird at the max volumes sometimes too, like it will do the tone that says it's at max but its actually not until I change it again while the audio is playing, then it shoots up to max volume. So make sure you are actually listening at the REAL max volume since the one it sometimes says is the max isn't and you can't hear the static as much at that lower level.

It's very noticeable, and I'm sure an audiophile like yourself would hear it very very clearly if you had the issue.

I don't have any bluetooth around me really, and it occurs in different parts of my house on different machines, meaning it's probably not a bluetooth interference thing, unless I have some widespread wireless signal going over my entire house. Would 5Ghz Wifi cause that?

I'm just concerned its a faulty unit, and that I might notice some improved clarity with a non-faulty one. The static becomes imperceptible around 9 or 8 steps down from max, but perhaps its tainting the sound signature somehow at lower volumes. I at most will listen to music at 10 steps down from the max volume, so it's kinda borderline affecting my sound. It sounds pretty similar to an active noise canceling static so it's very easy for it to blend into audio.

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #3,785 of 4,538
Yeah I think it has to do with how it auto shuts-off when there isn't a program playing audio, and the streaming apps keep it awake for longer because its downloading the music, which let me hear the static for a while after I pause it. To clarify, it still has static even with offline music playing on Musicbee, it just almost immediately shuts itself off when I pause it so I didn't notice it as much. But, after getting used to the sound of the static I started to notice it just happens all the time at that volume.

The volume control gets a little weird at the max volumes sometimes too, like it will do the tone that says it's at max but its actually not until I change it again while the audio is playing, then it shoots up to max volume. So make sure you are actually listening at the REAL max volume since the one it sometimes says is the max isn't and you can't hear the static as much at that lower level.

It's very noticeable, and I'm sure an audiophile like yourself would hear it very very clearly if you had the issue.

I did test it at the actual max volume - there was no static noise whatsoever both wired and over Bluetooth - a perfectly black background.
Did you configure BTR3K according to https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-251#post-16020667 ?

I don't have any bluetooth around me really, and it occurs in different parts of my house on different machines, meaning it's probably not a bluetooth interference thing, unless I have some widespread wireless signal going over my entire house. Would 5Ghz Wifi cause that?
It doesn't have to be other Bluetooth devices - Bluetooth is using a very busy 2.4GHz frequency, which can be affected by many factors - including Wi-Fi, microwaves and even office lighting: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/signal-interference-issues-bluetooth-technology-58273.html

I'm just concerned its a faulty unit, and that I might notice some improved clarity with a non-faulty one. The static becomes imperceptible around 9 or 8 steps down from max, but perhaps its tainting the sound signature somehow at lower volumes. I at most will listen to music at 10 steps down from the max volume, so it's kinda borderline affecting my sound. It sounds pretty similar to an active noise canceling static so it's very easy for it to blend into audio.
It very well could be a faulty unit. If you can, you should return it for a refund and buy in another store - just in case the first store got a bad batch.

Dec 12, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #3,786 of 4,538
My takstar has arrived today, i feel like the highs are overlooked by the other frequencies, in many songs. For example i've listened thriller and the highs are very low compared to bass and the other frequencies. Dunno probably the volume is still to low (unluckily i have on board audio e i'm at 100%), yet i feel like its quite high, i mean the bass and the drum are quite high so... i dont think i could go over than that (100%). Probably is the mastering of the songs that i've tried... dunno

If you have to raise the volume to 100% to achieve listenable volume, then you are 100% not getting the best performance out of that on-board audio - which is still usually mediocre at best.
You need to upgrade your chain: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...discussion-thread.849965/page-5#post-13501419

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #3,787 of 4,538
If you have to raise the volume to 100% to achieve listenable volume, the you are 100% not getting the best performance out of that on-board audio - which is still usually mediocre at best.
You need to upgrade your chain: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...discussion-thread.849965/page-5#post-13501419
Very true.

When working as an audio engineer we were always taught that ideally an amp should be running at 50% or less in an ideal situation. Obviously tubes change things but for solid state equipment....30% is what the large venue I worked at kept everything at.

Also balanced vs non balanced was only used for long vs short cable runs. Imo a headphone is almost always going to prefer balanced amps unless designed otherwise.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #3,788 of 4,538
Merci beaucoup pour plus d'informations. J'ai commandé par un GM200. J'aime bass :)
Welcome to the club!

I have ordered from MH Recording Music Store. I hope they are selling original ones. Only 5 USD cheaper.
Why would you buy from a store known for shipping fake GM200 (as well as fake-shipping Pro 82) just to save 5$?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-209#post-15341809

BTW, I see the price of 59.27$ in that store while TakstarAudio is 62.99$ - which with the 4$ coupon in the first post is actually cheaper than MH Recording Music Store...

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #3,792 of 4,538
None whatsoever.
Ah ok, seems odd you put so much work into this thread then. Perhaps I am just a pessimist and assume the worst.

I will say however you turned me on to the gm200's which I got for like 65-70 bucks? And they are fantastic headphones. I would say i prefer my mh751s but that isnt really true. The mh751s seem to have a brighter treble and possibly less U shaped mids but not by much...the main difference is the bass is deeper and more prominent in the gm200. Obviously everything's a compromise so something has to suffer for having more bass frequency response. For hip hop and the heavier doom/sludge music gm200s are really great. For really anything else the takstar 82/mh751 is preferred.

All in all though for under 80$ on any given day headhpones they are incredible.

Dec 13, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #3,793 of 4,538
So I got a pair and the comfort and sound is great. But after a week of use, they started creaking heavily. Just moving my jaw around or shifting my head can get it to start creaking.

Anyone else experienced this?

Dec 13, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #3,794 of 4,538
Ah ok, seems odd you put so much work into this thread then. Perhaps I am just a pessimist and assume the worst.
I'm the one who discovered and popularized Pro 82, I won't get off this hype train until I'll find something better.
Ever since I have unleashed the full potential of Pro 82 with the synergy combos, I've been trying to find that "something better" (regardless of price), but still couldn't.
I own 6 electrostatic headphones - 5 of them (including the $3800 Stax 009) I bought chasing that "something better":
1607897987837.png

I still reach for Pro 82 99% of time...
Fostex TH-900MK2 at $1700 also couldn't cut it - sits somewhere in storage.

I will say however you turned me on to the gm200's which I got for like 65-70 bucks? And they are fantastic headphones. I would say i prefer my mh751s but that isnt really true. The mh751s seem to have a brighter treble and possibly less U shaped mids but not by much...the main difference is the bass is deeper and more prominent in the gm200. Obviously everything's a compromise so something has to suffer for having more bass frequency response. For hip hop and the heavier doom/sludge music gm200s are really great. For really anything else the takstar 82/mh751 is preferred.

All in all though for under 80$ on any given day headhpones they are incredible.

My MH751 measures very similar to GM200:
1607898603369.png

But MH751 doesn't sound as good as GM200, maybe because it's missing the bass port:
1607898655466.png

What is your sound chain?

Dec 13, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #3,795 of 4,538
So I got a pair and the comfort and sound is great. But after a week of use, they started creaking heavily. Just moving my jaw around or shifting my head can get it to start creaking.

Anyone else experienced this?
Are you sure it's not your neck/jaw creaking?
Getting older is no fun...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back