Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 30, 2020 at 1:56 AM Post #3,485 of 4,538
What are you comparing them to?
To studio monitors by JBL and Adam. And to AKG K361/K371 if that makes more sense.

the mids and highs are clear and flat (see graphs)
No they're not. Pro 82 are far from being flat, so are GM200. When you're talking flat sounding headphones, you're talking about them being reference. That said, they should play realistic all instruments and vocals that were recorded with flat frequency response as well, and they're able to create realistic soundstage where all the instruments take their respective place. Takstars are far from doing either.

Takstars are very nice sounding headphones that are comfortable to listen, but flat - hell no.

Aug 30, 2020 at 2:05 AM Post #3,486 of 4,538
Thank you very much by the way, what will the image and soundstage of the takstar gm200 look like?
If the GM200 enclosure is like the Pro 82, you're getting angled drivers. Combined with the well extended and tuned highs, you'll find the soundstage to be very wide for a closed back.

To studio monitors by JBL and Adam. And to AKG K361/K371 if that makes more sense.

No they're not. Pro 82 are far from being flat, so are GM200. When you're talking flat sounding headphones, you're talking about them being reference. That said, they should play realistic all instruments and vocals that were recorded with flat frequency response as well, and they're able to create realistic soundstage where all the instruments take their respective place. Takstars are far from doing either.

Takstars are very nice sounding headphones that are comfortable to listen, but flat - hell no.
Pro 82 v2 does a decent job of being flat, but it definitely has a u-shape to the signature and a touch of warmth in the bass. It's a fun variation on flat.

I'd take the GM200 and the Pro 82 v2 over the K361, but the K371 is obviously going to be a better listening experience overall, though perhaps not as well tuned on the highs? It's also typically triple the price.

Pro 82/GM200 are a pair of headphones that you'd be really pleased with as portables (fashion sense aside) or beaters, and then you can wheel them into a shop and A/B against the next few tiers of offerings.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #3,487 of 4,538
Pro 82 v2 does a decent job of being flat
I do not think so. Let me explain - I consider "flat" and "neutral" being different things. Takstars are close to neutral but they're very far from being flat. So you're talking about headphones that do not generally overemphasize any frequency range (except for GM200 which overemphasize bass), but the timbre of almost all instruments are off and you don't hear them sounding realistic.
You say you would take Takstars over K361 - I have both and I can say that K361 blow Takstars out of the water in terms of realism of sound, and it's pretty obvious when you listen to acoustic instruments like drums, acoustic guitars, violins etc.

Aug 30, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #3,488 of 4,538
I do not think so. Let me explain - I consider "flat" and "neutral" being different things. Takstars are close to neutral but they're very far from being flat. So you're talking about headphones that do not generally overemphasize any frequency range (except for GM200 which overemphasize bass), but the timbre of almost all instruments are off and you don't hear them sounding realistic.
You say you would take Takstars over K361 - I have both and I can say that K361 blow Takstars out of the water in terms of realism of sound, and it's pretty obvious when you listen to acoustic instruments like drums, acoustic guitars, violins etc.
I have no doubt that both AKGs would win on timbre: the Takstar models are fundamentally a bright signature and that makes the sound a touch unnatural.

I just feel there's not enough enough dynamics about the K361 to bother with it, especially when the K371 can be had for $110 on sale.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #3,489 of 4,538
the Takstar models are fundamentally a bright signature and that makes the sound a touch unnatural.
No, it's actually dips and peaks in frequency range that make headphones sound unnatural. It's like, when you talk about treble, you get for instance two peaks here, three dips there, and though you hear that the headphones are actually balanced, the timbre of the instruments is off and you don't believe the sound. It's not like being on the bright side actually hurts the realism, it's the treble not being flat enough that does (and all the other frequency range of course).

Takstars are definitely a bit on the bright side, but I think it doesn't hurt them heavily. The uneven treble does.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #3,490 of 4,538
No, it's actually dips and peaks in frequency range that make headphones sound unnatural. It's like, when you talk about treble, you get for instance two peaks here, three dips there, and though you hear that the headphones are actually balanced, the timbre of the instruments is off and you don't believe the sound. It's not like being on the bright side actually hurts the realism, it's the treble not being flat enough that does (and all the other frequency range of course).

Takstars are definitely a bit on the bright side, but I think it doesn't hurt them heavily. The uneven treble does.
Can you clarify which model you're talking about?

Aug 30, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #3,493 of 4,538
Can you clarify which model you're talking about?
The first paragraph - I speak in general how I understand "flat", the second is about both Pro 82 and GM200.

I don't know if when choosing the gm200 I like bass but not to become a basshead I am looking for the best for less than $ 70
GM200 is a basshead phone. It also depends on source - if you connect them to something that has close to zero output impedance, they sound good overall but bass is still emphasized. If you connect them to high impedance output instead (like integrated Realtek sound codec), they become super boomy.

If you ask me about what I would personally prefer instead, I would consider ISK HF2010 and Superlux HD681, though I'm not completely sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back