Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 10, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #1,321 of 4,537
Clearly anyone who states anything that does not align with your ambitions for this thread will get jumped on and yet you are unconditionally happy to post links to "best headphone ever!!" type posts in your first post.
I'm not hating, but I couldn't agree more with this one.

Feb 10, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #1,324 of 4,537
I was 100% going to get the HD 598 CS, I was waiting for them to hit $100 again. But after reading all the reviews here I decided to buy the 82's...got them from the official Takstar store for $65 with the Head-fi discount. Unfortunately with the holiday I won't get these for 5-6 weeks, but I'm a pretty patient guy.

I'll be pushing these with the Micca OriGen G2. I have the Cloudx II and love them, hopefully these are as good as everyone says. I spend 75% of the time gaming and 25% of the time listening to music.

I have the 598SR (open version) and based on what I know about the CS you definitely made the right choice. My mix of games to music is probably more like 60/40 and I prefer the 82s for both. The 598SR still better when I'm expecting a delivery since I can actually hear the door :yum:

Feb 10, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #1,325 of 4,537
Okay this is awful. I'm getting distortion whenever I try to listen to songs with bass and it makes voices vibrate. I don't know if the burn in will even fix this issue.

That sounds like a faulty pair. I'd double check the cable connection on both ends any anything obvious. I've had headphones change pretty drastically from burn in but never in a way to fix what you're describing.

Feb 10, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #1,326 of 4,537
That sounds like a faulty pair. I'd double check the cable connection on both ends any anything obvious. I've had headphones change pretty drastically from burn in but never in a way to fix what you're describing.

It only seems to happen if I raise the volume to near max I can tolerate. Could it be the subbass spilling over the rest of the frequencies?

Feb 10, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #1,327 of 4,537
I have the 598SR (open version) and based on what I know about the CS you definitely made the right choice. My mix of games to music is probably more like 60/40 and I prefer the 82s for both. The 598SR still better when I'm expecting a delivery since I can actually hear the door :yum:
Good to know, I never owned the 598sr but I demo'd them for a while and loved the sound, but I can't have open backs in my house cause of all the noise my family makes. I was hoping the CS would be what I was looking for, but these were low enough priced to take a small risk.

Feb 10, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #1,328 of 4,537
Okay this is awful. I'm getting distortion whenever I try to listen to songs with bass and it makes voices vibrate. I don't know if the burn in will even fix this issue.
I was having the same problem on stock (to a lesser extent), but after doing the toilet paper/cotton roll mod by @Random54, the issue is mostly gone. Bass quality is improved and quantity is adequate now.
I have the 598SR (open version) and based on what I know about the CS you definitely made the right choice. My mix of games to music is probably more like 60/40 and I prefer the 82s for both.
Pro 82 is so great for gaming its insane. Its probably on the same level as a AD700X. With Win 10's Dolby Atmos I'm getting even greater imaging and directional cues in shooter games like CSGO and PUBG.

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #1,329 of 4,537
I have been looking through this thread, but have not found the answer to my question...

Does anyone know if you can replace the earcups on this headphone? If so, I would like to replace the earcups with a velor erarcup. Can anyone provide me with a link where I can purchase them?

Will these work? https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Me...p+headphone+replacement&psc=1#customerReviews

You can replace the ear pads with velors if you want. I would highly recommend against it. Aside from changing the sound, the stock pads are extremely comfortable and I doubt you'd have a problem with heat. If swapping these ear pads with other ear pads you will need to also add a foam tuning disc mentioned earlier in this thread as the stock ear pads have them built in. For the velour pads you might need both the thin and the thick tuning discs as you are going to get less bass and more treble. Also trying the Shure 1840 ear pads I noticed they were a bit large so Brainwavz HM5 pads would also be large (your link didn't work for me so I can't check what you linked).

Here's a pic of my headphones with a Shure 1840 pad vs the stock:

KkiSNcsl.jpg

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #1,330 of 4,537
I was having the same problem on stock (to a lesser extent), but after doing the toilet paper/cotton roll mod by @Random54, the issue is mostly gone. Bass quality is improved and quantity is adequate now.
Tried it and it lessened it a bit but still enough to throw you off. I did notice a huge improvement from when I first tried it. Will do more burning in with bass heavy songs. Might still be some stiffness left if that makes sense.

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #1,331 of 4,537
Tried it and it lessened it a bit but still enough to throw you off. I did notice a huge improvement from when I first tried it. Will do more burning in with bass heavy songs. Might still be some stiffness left if that makes sense.
What I noticed with the Pro 82 is that you shouldn't be using it at high volume levels, the bass starts to distort a lot and the vocals would sound very harsh. OTOH its quite blissful at lower loudness level.

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #1,332 of 4,537
It only seems to happen if I raise the volume to near max I can tolerate. Could it be the subbass spilling over the rest of the frequencies?

Possibly. I don't listen to anything crazy loud anymore. I damaged my hearing enough when I was younger. That said a couple of questions:

1. Do you have the ports fully closed, half open, or fully open?

I found fully open I had major bleed through of bass into the mids and the drivers were much less controlled (distortion). This would of course increase with volume level. Middle setting I also noticed less control but little to no bleed through into mids. Volume level might change this. Closed the bass is quite tight sounding with no bleed through into mids.

2. Is it both ears or just one? If just one which one? (my guess is left based on my own findings)

As for your findings with possible counterfeit headphones I honestly thought mine might be too when I first got them. Counterfeit or faulty. Turns out they just didn't seal to my head properly. The differences you noticed could just be differences in production runs (which does happen). Keep in mind there were months when these headphones were essentially off the market. That said the verification code not working is very concerning. I would try e-mailing Takstar for confirmation. I don't believe the Takstar Audio store is actually owned and operated Takstar but I was under the (possibly misguided) impression they were an authorized dealer so this would be a surprise.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #1,333 of 4,537
Possibly. I don't listen to anything crazy loud anymore. I damaged my hearing enough when I was younger. That said a couple of questions:

1. Do you have the ports fully closed, half open, or fully open?

I found fully open I had major bleed through of bass into the mids and the drivers were much less controlled (distortion). This would of course increase with volume level. Middle setting I also noticed less control but little to no bleed through into mids. Volume level might change this. Closed the bass is quite tight sounding with no bleed through into mids.

2. Is it both ears or just one? If just one which one? (my guess is left based on my own findings)

As for your findings with possible counterfeit headphones I honestly thought mine might be too when I first got them. Counterfeit or faulty. Turns out they just didn't seal to my head properly. The differences you noticed could just be differences in production runs (which does happen). Keep in mind there were months when these headphones were essentially off the market. That said the verification code not working is very concerning. I would try e-mailing Takstar for confirmation. I don't believe the Takstar Audio store is actually owned and operated Takstar but I was under the (possibly misguided) impression they were an authorized dealer so this would be a surprise.

It's on closed but I have set my amp to bass boost to 4db since I found default to be inadequate bass. When i use the hp boost instead, it still occurs. I notice that when I turn the bass boost off it is not as noticeable.
It's on both ears. It bleeds through only during male chorus parts when there's a lot going on. Some examples of songs that distort during the bass heavy chorus are Marry Me by Jason Derulo and Marry You by Bruno Mars (They were next to each other so i noticed).
I bought them from a different seller but I personally know someone who also bought from them and they haven't any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back