Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 17, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #1,006 of 4,538
One for each Pro 82 ever made? :wink:
:jecklinsmile:
Don't think they've made that they've made that many yet.
Total sales on Aliexpress are about 500 so far, don't know how many Headphoniaks sold, but probably under 100.
Taobao has about 80 sellers offering Pro 82, but sales seems slow - thank god! If the internal Chinese market catches up on Pro 82, they'll deplete the stock in 0.4 seconds and leave us empty handed.
Except for @heavyharmonies , who will be listening to his 4 Pro 82s, while laughing maniacally :japanese_goblin:

Jan 17, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #1,007 of 4,538
Since FIIO E6 is very hard to find, I've been looking for another low-cost companion for EL-D01:

upload_2018-1-18_3-2-34.png

Just finished charging it, about to start evaluations...

Jan 18, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #1,009 of 4,538
Well meant to do an update, but have been sick the last few days. Got them on Saturday finally. I ordered the silver pair with the full hard case. Retail box came wrapped in a few layers of bubble wrap and a bunch of layers of brown packing tape around all that. Box was a little banged up from it (I like receiving pristine retail boxes in the even I resell something later), but otherwise no major harm.

The headphones were snug in the foam inside the box and looked like they had bounced around some. From what I can tell though there wasn't any damage.

I basically used these for some gaming and video watching. I didn't get a chance to go over any music with them. I did use them for the past few days while I was home sick, but I will say I've been on meds so my review may not be spot on yet.

First off, they are light, comfortable, and fit my head well. The earpads are a bit shallow, but my ears weren't touching nor hurting over longer usage sessions. M years did get hot in them as breath-ability with pleather earpads that shallow is going to trap a lot of heat. That is the only ding to comfort I can give. This feel sturdy enough and seem like they should last awhile if taken care of too. That's basically it for build quality that I can tell.

As for sound quality, it is slightly mid forward with nice mid clarity. With no holes open, the bass is rolled off and the treble rolls of later than other treble roll off in comparison to other headphones. Some videos with females that tend to lead to sibilant vocals was a little fatiguing to listen to. While males didn't come off as shouty nor sibilant, the female vocals did a little. Not much, but a tad.

With 1 hole open, the nature of the sound changes enough. Bass goes up a bit, and the treble in relation isn't so harsh anymore. While still slightly more mid forward, I can turn down the volume some and get a much more flat response sound overall. This setting is where these headphones shine. I didn't listen to music so I have no idea how good it keeps up with the clutter of a bunch of different sounds at once, but I plan to check that later. Otherwise, for gaming and videos in general, these sound fantastic with 1 hole open on each cup.

Now, I didn't go past 1 hole. I was afraid they turn to crud like my Beyerdynamic custom one plus pros which have the same feature. I'l mess around with it later. Overall I am impressed and pleased with the headphones so far for the purchase price. These by far are the least shouty mid centric headphones I have. The other mid centric headphones I own come off so shouty as to be very fatiguing. These aren't as long as I have that 1 hole open.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #1,011 of 4,538
...for gaming and videos in general, these sound fantastic with 1 hole open on each cup...
... Overall I am impressed and pleased with the headphones so far for the purchase price...

Glad you liked them!

...I did use them for the past few days while I was home sick, but I will say I've been on meds so my review may not be spot on yet...
You definitely were affected by your illness.
Previously you wrote about B8 "Slightly U shaped fun sounding cans" (in your profile).
Now you wrote about Pro 82 "As for sound quality, it is slightly mid forward with nice mid clarity"
B8 is significantly more mid-forward than Pro 82, so it looks like your hearing isn't back to normal yet .
You should like Pro 82 a lot more in about a week, even without opening the bass ports.
Hope you'll publish updated impressions then, and maybe some comparisons?

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #1,013 of 4,538
Edit 28 Dec 2017: in the new revision that is being currently sold,the cable has the

I can't help wonder what other changes they made to them. I got my pair today and my initial impression (after about an hour with them) are pretty disappointing, to me they're nothing more than a pale shadow of the Pro80. The subbass is practically non existing (without using the terrible implemented bass boost) and the midrange is, without a doubt, more recessed than on the Pro80. As you can see my impression are the complete opposite of the OP's so I can't help wondering if they made a quiet revision of them or if there's some other reason for that......

For the record my Pro80 have HM5 pads on them.

The Pro82 are clean and clear sounding but the lack of impact kind of overshadowing everything and make them quite boring to listen to, for music without subbass I'd guess they're ok though. Note that I'm far from a basshead and find the Meze 99C for example to have too much (mid)bass with stock pads, my favorite headphones are the HD800S and I use the HE560 when I feel the need for more bass.....

It does actually sound as if the took the Pro80 and removed the subbass. The lack of (sub)bass makes me constantly turn the volume up, maybe that's the reason why some find the midrange more forward??

I'm going to use them for a couple of more days to see if anything changes but so far I have never experienced "burn in" on any of my headphones so I do not have much hope for these.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #1,014 of 4,538
I can't help wonder what other changes they made to them.
No changes were made to the headphone whatsoever, only 2 changes were made to the package:
1) Cable length decreased from 2.2m to 1.6
2) 3.5mm/6.5mm adapter was removed (TakstarAudio store does add one as a free gift)
These changes were supposed to reflect that Pro 82 is a small closed portable headphone, intended for mixed desktop/on-the-go use, not a large open headphone , only meant for use with desktop amplifiers.

...I got my pair today and my initial impression (after about an hour with them) are pretty disappointing, to me they're nothing more than a pale shadow of the Pro80. The subbass is practically non existing (without using the terrible implemented bass boost) and the midrange is, without a doubt, more recessed than on the Pro80. As you can see my impression are the complete opposite of the OP's so I can't help wondering if they made a quiet revision of them or if there's some other reason for that......

For the record my Pro80 have HM5 pads on them.
That explains it. HM5 pads totally change the Pro 80 sound.
HM5 pads do improve the comfort greatly, and have positive effect on the soundstage, but I didn't like this new sound at all - the stock Pro 80 produces much more coherent and tonally correct sound.

...The Pro82 are clean and clear sounding but the lack of impact kind of overshadowing everything and make them quite boring to listen to, for music without subbass I'd guess they're ok though. Note that I'm far from a basshead and find the Meze 99C for example to have too much (mid)bass with stock pads, my favorite headphones are the HD800S and I use the HE560 when I feel the need for more bass.....
As far from basshead as you may be, it does sound like you are looking for a fun bassy headphone - Pro 82 is not what you are looking for.
Pro 82 is mostly about clarity, imaging and balance.
You can try using bass boost with some amps you have, but it will be difficult to find one that will boost sub-bass and not low/mid-bass.

It does actually sound as if the took the Pro80 and removed the subbass. The lack of (sub)bass makes me constantly turn the volume up, maybe that's the reason why some find the midrange more forward??
Pro 82 produces a very healthy response at 20 Hz, and I can feel vibrations at least down to 14-15Hz (using HA-2 and O2).
http://onlinetonegenerator.com/

I'm going to use them for a couple of more days to see if anything changes but so far I have never experienced "burn in" on any of my headphones so I do not have much hope for these.
Pro 82 doesn't benefit from burn-in.
It's simply not what you are looking for.

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #1,015 of 4,538
First thing first, I'm definitely not looking for a "fun bassy headphone" for the simple reason that I don't find bassy to be fun but rather tiresome. I typically don't enjoy headphones with that description.

Using your link I get barely audible sound with the generator set to 20hz at normal listening level and definitely a long way from what I'd describe as "healthy". With the Pro80 on the other hand I can feel the vibration. @Humblepie does also mention the bass roll off so either they changed the tuning or there's a pretty big unit variation. Removing the bass doesn't make the headphones balanced or neutral in my opinion but rather unnatural sounding.

I don't use bass boost or eq and have no need doing so when I can just listen to a pair of headphones with subbass.

You're right though, the Pro82 is definitely not what I'm looking for and I'm honestly having a hard time understanding that anyone can appreciate this lack of dynamics that makes the sound really two dimensionional. I'd go as far as saying that these are the least dynamic headphones I've ever heard. Once again this is very different from your own and others earlier impressions which once again raise the question about a silent revision (especially as @Humblepie also notice the lack of bass with his new pair as well).

I was hoping for an upgrade to the Pro80 and imo the Pro82 is no such thing. Once again I think the two are quite similar sounding except for a lot less dynamics in the Pro82.

Do you have both a new and old revision (with different cable lengths) or have you just been told that there were no other changes made?

I'm honestly really surprised about how different we hear them and I think that it would be important to potential future buyers if we can find out the reason for this.

The tone generator is a great tool btw, thank you.

Edit: I'm using the LG G5 with the Hifi Plus module as a source.

Edit 2: Tomorrow I'm going to try some different pads on them to see if the sound improves.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #1,016 of 4,538
Have you made sure that the the 2.5 cable is pushed tightly into the headphone and that the screw on 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapter is screwed up tight also?

Jan 18, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #1,018 of 4,538
Have you made sure that the the 2.5 cable is pushed tightly into the headphone and that the screw on 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapter is screwed up tight also?

Hi, yes the connection is secure.

Jan 18, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #1,019 of 4,538
I had some time off today and listened to all my headphones with the same tracks.

I thought I might put the pro 82's away and go back to say the beyer t1 but no that is back in its box.

The bass is so analogue, see though / hear through the vocals are just right and the high shimmer but never sibilant.

All my other headphones sound harsh in the mid range next to these, it is a shame you do not hear what I am hearing.

I bought two, one having better deeper pads, they have more bass then the thinner pad pair.

Jan 18, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #1,020 of 4,538
I had some time off today and listened to all my headphones with the same tracks.

I thought I might put the pro 82's away and go back to say the beyer t1 but no that is back in its box.

The bass is so analogue, see though / hear through the vocals are just right and the high shimmer but never sibilant.

All my other headphones sound harsh in the mid range next to these, it is a shame you do not hear what I am hearing.

I bought two, one having better deeper pads, they have more bass then the thinner pad pair.

Thank you for this! So they did change them in more ways. I'll definitely try some thicker pads tomorrow as the pads on my pair are pretty thin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back