Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 4, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #3,556 of 4,537
Thank you. I suspect that is the AC. Because the first few days i dont remenber having that sound, i changed my cumputers setups and i think i have too much stuff plugged in the same outlet. Can't test this right now. But gonna try this first.
One of the reasons I love Idea/DA2 + O2 combo so much, is that it requires no external power. Idea/DA2 draws power from USB, and O2 can be powered by internal rechargeable batteries. Sometimes I unplug my laptop from AC, and enjoy the best possible sound from Pro 82.

P10 needs external power, so I would recommend to purchase a small UPS - it doesn't need to be powerful, it's basically just a noise filter.

Oct 7, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #3,557 of 4,537
Just received my hybrid cable.

First impressions very good across the frequency bands and nice and tidy. Just burning it in.
IMG_20201008_095218.jpg
Happy days.
:L3000:

EDIT:
Ok have had about 6 hours of burn in and there is a good more amount of extension in the frequency extremes and more resolution to nuances. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #3,558 of 4,537
One of the reasons I love Idea/DA2 + O2 combo so much, is that it requires no external power. Idea/DA2 draws power from USB, and O2 can be powered by internal rechargeable batteries. Sometimes I unplug my laptop from AC, and enjoy the best possible sound from Pro 82.

P10 needs external power, so I would recommend to purchase a small UPS - it doesn't need to be powerful, it's basically just a noise filter.

Most commercial UPS are line interactive. This type of UPS doesn't filter out noise, but the other way around, it introduces much more noise into the system, due to its working principle. The only type of UPS that filters out noise, is double conversion type, cause it turns AC power into DC and than into AC again, with true sinus wave. This type of UPS is much more expensive than line interactive, and larger since it's intended for use in much more power demanding applications.

The better solution will be tu purchase a transformer based linear power supply, that fits the power demand of P10.

Oct 10, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #3,559 of 4,537
Most commercial UPS are line interactive. This type of UPS doesn't filter out noise, but the other way around, it introduces much more noise into the system, due to its working principle. The only type of UPS that filters out noise, is double conversion type, cause it turns AC power into DC and than into AC again, with true sinus wave. This type of UPS is much more expensive than line interactive, and larger since it's intended for use in much more power demanding applications.

The better solution will be tu purchase a transformer based linear power supply, that fits the power demand of P10.

Not all line-interactive UPS are the same:

"The Line-interactive UPS are normally fitted with circuitry to filter out utility line noise and spikes, and to regulate the voltage output, providing additional power during brownouts and curtailing output during surges."
https://www.p-s-s.com/ups_systems_topology.htm

"All on-line and many line-interactive UPS systems have pure sine wave output"
https://blog.tripplite.com/line-interactive-vs-on-line-ups-systems

Of course, you can always unplug UPS from AC and run your audio equipment from battery - considering P10's low power usage, it can run from battery for hours.
That will always provide the best possible power, even better than a linear power supply.
And a UPS can be used with wide variety of audio equipment, while LPS usually supports a single voltage.

Oct 15, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #3,560 of 4,537
They're here!
Haven't spent too much time with them yet. And the balanced cable I ordered isn't here yet.

BUT

Even unbalanced they do sound quite amazing out the Shanling M6 on high gain.
I have to try them out a bit more, especially out of my new ifi Zen Dac. But overall I am quite pleased.

Now, apologies, I have looked back a bit through the thread but didn't find anything on the past few pages of it.

I would like to add some velour pads to these bad boys. What are pads that work and that people here have good experience with? I take it the pads are easy to change?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #3,561 of 4,537
Not all line-interactive UPS are the same:

"The Line-interactive UPS are normally fitted with circuitry to filter out utility line noise and spikes, and to regulate the voltage output, providing additional power during brownouts and curtailing output during surges."
https://www.p-s-s.com/ups_systems_topology.htm

"All on-line and many line-interactive UPS systems have pure sine wave output"
https://blog.tripplite.com/line-interactive-vs-on-line-ups-systems

Of course, you can always unplug UPS from AC and run your audio equipment from battery - considering P10's low power usage, it can run from battery for hours.
That will always provide the best possible power, even better than a linear power supply.
And a UPS can be used with wide variety of audio equipment, while LPS usually supports a single voltage.

No it won't. Since the UPS acts as an inverter, to turn the DC voltage into an AC only for the amp's PS to turn it into DC again. Those voltage manipulations always add unnecessary noise into the system. Not all noise can be successfully filtered out, considering the crappy filters (if there are any) in cheap UPS systems. The key is keeping it simple.

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #3,562 of 4,537
They're here!
Haven't spent too much time with them yet. And the balanced cable I ordered isn't here yet.

BUT

Even unbalanced they do sound quite amazing out the Shanling M6 on high gain.
I have to try them out a bit more, especially out of my new ifi Zen Dac. But overall I am quite pleased.

Now, apologies, I have looked back a bit through the thread but didn't find anything on the past few pages of it.

I would like to add some velour pads to these bad boys. What are pads that work and that people here have good experience with? I take it the pads are easy to change?

Big mistake. Stickk with the originals.

Oct 16, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #3,563 of 4,537
No it won't. Since the UPS acts as an inverter, to turn the DC voltage into an AC only for the amp's PS to turn it into DC again. Those voltage manipulations always add unnecessary noise into the system. Not all noise can be successfully filtered out, considering the crappy filters (if there are any) in cheap UPS systems. The key is keeping it simple.

A line-interactive UPS is only going to be converting DC voltage into AC voltage when there is a power outage - when that happens, I'm usually busy shutting down all my electronics, and I won't be listening to any music, so any extra unfiltered line noise going into my audio system's power circuitry is not a concern at that time.

Oct 17, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #3,564 of 4,537
A line-interactive UPS is only going to be converting DC voltage into AC voltage when there is a power outage - when that happens, I'm usually busy shutting down all my electronics, and I won't be listening to any music, so any extra unfiltered line noise going into my audio system's power circuitry is not a concern at that time.

Any UPS has a rectifier inside to charge the battery.

Oct 17, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #3,565 of 4,537
Let's not forget how this discussion started - we are just trying to get rid of excessive AC noise coming from an outlet.

A pure sinewave UPS can be had for under 150$, and it can power the entire sound chain, not just the amp:
1602931206877.png

https://www.amazon.com/APC-Sinewave-Battery-Protector-BR1000MS/dp/B0779KYKLB

An LPS would only solve the problem for P10, powering your PC and DAC from the same noisy AC outlet could still introduce noise.

Oct 17, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #3,566 of 4,537
Hi,

I bought the Pro 82 from amazon at 60€, I think I may have got the V1 or V0.9 versions as the box is white and a 6.3mm adapter came in the box. The store is Mutell / shenzhen shi mutalai keji youxian gongsi.

If I check the authenticity code in the box I can see if the version is 0.9?

The sound doesn't seem too bad, though build quality doesn't feel very solid compared to my Superlux HD 660 (very plasticky, if it falls one time it might die).

Soundwise they are very similar to the HD 660, strong bass and good sound, Pro 82 has more musicality and a brighter sound with more volume due to the lower impedance. But again, the difference is subtle.

Has anyone compared the Pro 82 to the Superlux HD 660 and HD 330, Those are around 30-40$ and sound amazing for the price.

Thanks.

Edit: with the headset also came a takstar "product qualified certificate" card

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #3,567 of 4,537
Let's not forget how this discussion started - we are just trying to get rid of excessive AC noise coming from an outlet.

A pure sinewave UPS can be had for under 150$, and it can power the entire sound chain, not just the amp:
1602931206877.png
https://www.amazon.com/APC-Sinewave-Battery-Protector-BR1000MS/dp/B0779KYKLB

An LPS would only solve the problem for P10, powering your PC and DAC from the same noisy AC outlet could still introduce noise.
That's wrong. When you see the "pure sinewave" advertisement, it tells you about the AC generated by the invertor 12VDC->220VAC (or whatever), opposed to more simple UPSes that generate modified sine (more like square wave). But it's not about converting the AC from your outlet, it's about battery output. The outlet output remains the same at best when it goes through UPS like this. At worst it increases your voltage when the input is too low, then you get much higher harmonics and distortion from your electrical grid, thus your amps sound worse.

You actually have two solutions for this, both have double voltage conversion:
1. On-line UPS - they're A LOT more expensive than this APC UPS, I think the cheapest bet is IPPON Innova G2 series, but I dunno about the output quality of the inverter;
2. In Russia we have devices called "inverter stabilizers", they are the same as On-line UPS, but do not have battery. If you buy it purely for audio, there's for example a model called Shtyl IS350 which is basically the best solution for the problem. It's very cheap, it does double voltage conversion and the output is very high quality sine wave. No matter where you plug it in, the output is always very clean, which is great for amplifiers, the sound quality is another level. Dunno if there's something like this made in another country, but that particular model is very very good.

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #3,568 of 4,537
A cable I desire the most, is a short (30-40sm) cable for Pro 82, to be used with Bluetooth receivers.
I don't even care if it is balanced or unbalanced, just want a short one...
This one works with my Pro-82s, although it’s short so you have to attach your Bluetooth device to the headphone. When I go wireless I bluetack a Fiio BTR3 to the outside of the cup.
9C849528-C5C2-4F51-82F1-DD1C49742454.jpeg

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #3,569 of 4,537
This one works with my Pro-82s, although it’s short so you have to attach your Bluetooth device to the headphone. When I go wireless I bluetack a Fiio BTR3 to the outside of the cup.9C849528-C5C2-4F51-82F1-DD1C49742454.jpeg
I bought this cable in February 2019 - sound quality wasn't great. I guess I should have expected that, as it doesn't have the TRRS plug on the 2.5mm end...

Oct 19, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #3,570 of 4,537
I've used pro80 for 4 years and was okay with everything except comfort - it was really bad, my ears ached every time after 2-3 hours.

Year ago I bought pro82 from Music HuHu Store ($55 with a case). It had 2.2m cable and "old", opaque drivers. This pair was much more comfortable and I immediately started to use it full-time. After some time I noticed that balance was a bit shifted, but the seller offered me only a small discount on the next order, so I just adjusted the balance in the PC (sadly it was needed after every reboot, but I managed).

Month ago my cable broke near 2.5mm connector and in the search for the compatible cable I found this topic. As I understand now, I was using "0.9" version. I ordered a new pair from Takstar Audio Store, and it was delivered after 10 days. During the unboxing I was unpleasantly surprised with the white box. The cable is 1.6m long, but I haven't removed the pads yet, so I'm still not 100% sure it's v2. The sound is great, I can't really feel any problems with balance this time.

Now I'm thinking about ELE EL-D01 and P10, but not quite ready to pull the trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back